Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats..... again

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cats..... again

Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with stray cats.

I have 3 cats (1 female, 2 males - the female has 4 kittens) that hang around my building.

They're not feral, but they're not pets either, which means I can't really pick them up and put them in a cage to transport them.

I'm curious to know if anybody knows if one of the animal protection agencies in SD can offer to come to my place, sedate these cats and take them away in return for a donation to their cause?

I have been feeding them in order to gain a small amount of trust with them, and hopefully they can be given something in their food that will dumb them down enough to be caged and removed.

None of my neighbors wants them around either, and I worry they may show up dead some morning from being poisoned.

Any suggestions?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with stray cats.

I have 3 cats (1 female, 2 males - the female has 4 kittens) that hang around my building.

They're not feral, but they're not pets either, which means I can't really pick them up and put them in a cage to transport them.

I'm curious to know if anybody knows if one of the animal protection agencies in SD can offer to come to my place, sedate these cats and take them away in return for a donation to their cause?

I have been feeding them in order to gain a small amount of trust with them, and hopefully they can be given something in their food that will dumb them down enough to be caged and removed.

None of my neighbors wants them around either, and I worry they may show up dead some morning from being poisoned.

Any suggestions?
    Keep in mind that if they're simply taken away, others will come. Strays stick to a place where they can find food. So either a neighbour is feeding them or the trash isn't stored properly. Let me check what contacts I can find for you on fb.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes cobraboy, JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    Thank you very much, Kate. I appreciate your suggestions.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    Thanks. I was going to link those. I'm a member of the catloversRD page and adopted a nice rescue kitten through them. I'm sure someone would help.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

7. Likes KateP liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think KateP has the solution - eliminate the food source. We have a small problem with stray cats in our condominium. A couple owners feel sorry for the cats and put out plates of food for them. This just draws more stray cats.

9. Likes JDJones, Uzin liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I think KateP has the solution - eliminate the food source. We have a small problem with stray cats in our condominium. A couple owners feel sorry for the cats and put out plates of food for them. This just draws more stray cats.
    I'd much prefer that they are picked up and taken away for adoption. Eliminates the problem more efficiently

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Take them to Sosua

Just kidding

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a cage trap it is easy enough to catch them.
    You just feed them inside the trap without setting it. When they get used to it you set it.
    "Have a heart" is one brand.
    Some of the animal rescues would have them.
    Feral cats have a terrible existence. Other issues is they destroy the local bird population.
    Good luck. Its a good thing you are doing, both for the cats and the birds.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Stray cats are a menace, we have the same problem, an old lady feels sorry and feeds them, from a few before we now have 12 and no stopping them....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast