Swim Safety

L

LindseyKaufman

Two people drowned in our river in Jamao yesterday. The river is devious. Although it appears to be shallow throughout, there are places where the bottom takes a steep drop making the waters very deep. Because 2 visitors to our area were not aware of the character of the water where they swam, they lost their lives.

People in Jamao adore their precious river. Something like this- visitors coming to enjoy El Choro and losing their lives- causes locals much heartache and grief.

Please, swim safely. Know the waters you are about to enter, whether they be the ocean or a river. Two individuals came here to enjoy their Labor Day holiday and never lived to put in another day's work.

We don't want that to happen to you.\

Lindsey

R

RDKNIGHT

Did they drowned due to currents or deep water and didnt know how to swim?

RIP folks who past

F

Fulano2

If you swim it doesnt matter if it's two or a hundred meters deep.

S

SKY

I have always been amazed at the lack of most Dominicans to learn how to swim. After all we are on an Island surrounded by water.

P

Peterj

If you swim it doesnt matter if it's two or a hundred meters deep.

Exactly!
If you can swim you can swim but here in the DR it's like speaking English; they all say they do but there is no more than "Hey my fren".

D

dv8

i am not a good swimmer and deeper water would definitely make me more anxious. some may even panic and that's just a step away from death.

C

cobraboy

i am not a good swimmer and deeper water would definitely make me more anxious. some may even panic and that's just a step away from death.
That makes sense. It's not the deep water, it's you.

W

wrecksum

Sad case.That river is just a tiny trickle really with a few swirls.You'd have to really try to drown yourself there..

As a tip to swimmers: Just swim in the first top 6 inches or so. Works for me,even over the Mariana Trench..

C

cobraboy

Sad case.That river is just a tiny trickle really with a few swirls.You'd have to really try to drown yourself there..

As a tip to swimmers: Just swim in the first top 6 inches or so. Works for me,even over the Mariana Trench..
There may have been copious amounts of alcohol involved.

R

RDKNIGHT

I have always been amazed at the lack of most Dominicans to learn how to swim. After all we are on an Island surrounded by water.
yes that baffles me too... and the ones who say they can swim cant swim a 1/4 meter..