Will my Dominican ATM card work in the US?

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Hi--

Does anyone know if a Scotiabank ATM card works in the US? I asked at the bank and they told me it won't because my account is in pesos but I use my American ATM card here and that account is in dollars.. It has the cirrus logo on the back, which I thought meant it could be used at any cirrus ATM..

Didn't Jim Hinsch say he wrote the software for ATM cards.. Jim, do you have an answer?

Thanks!!

Rachel

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I am pretty sure that I was offered an atm card to use in the US for my peso account here. They translate the dollar to peso and screw you out of some of your heart earned money that you wouldnt get screwed out of if you changed it on the street.

Bring credit cards and US Dollars instead would be my advice. I get the best translation on converting with credit cards most times.

Regards

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I don't know which branch of Scotia bank you were talking to & at what level of branch employee you were asking, but my lrvrl of understanding is "YES, it will work in the States". Certainly the Mercantil & Progresso Debit cards with Cirrus logo work in the Staes, Canada AND England!!
If you bank at Puerto Plata have a chat with Orlando - he is a fund of information & Extremely helpful. Tell him 'Hi' from me - Grahame.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
I wish I banked (or lived) in POP but I'm here in Santo Domingo with no Orlando to ask. Thanks for the info -- I think the cirrus logo will work where ever there's a cirrus logo.. (makes sense, right??)

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
atm card use in USA

My ATM Bancredito card is like Edesur - sometimes it works out of the country and sometimes it doesn't. But then, that is also the case right here in DR- sometimes the machines work and sometimes they don't. I think the problem arises with inferior technology being used by banks here re: computer connections. So, have a combination of things with you - American $, travelers cheques and bank cards.
It is also helpful if you have money in another country to have an ATM card from that source.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
ATM card

When I got my ATM card from Banco Popular I was told it could be used abroad. I never tried it though.

BTW: Do your Dominican ATM cards have expiry dates? Mine does. It surprised me because Canadian ATM cards don't have expiry dates.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
CArd works

My Bnco Popular Cash card works at atms in US that accept the Mastro logo All bank atms
pos at texico walgreens hess and shells and targetit works

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
The card should say "only valid in Dominican Republic"

If it doesn't say it, then it works in the US

Nickie

Jan 25, 2002
Interac / Cirrus

I used my Scotiabank ATM card in D.R. and the U.S. last year and it worked at most ATM machines. I have the Interac one - so I had to make sure it wasn't a Cirrus bank machine.