Taxi/Uber info needed Punta Cana - Sosua

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Hi, does anyone have any information on being picked up at PUJ and transported (3 people) to Sosua via Taxi/Uber?
It's challenging (as well as expensive) to fly into POP from the UK these days (no direct flights) so I'm considering this option. (We have a 4 year old with us)!
I'm guessing $200 US/$10,000RD will cover the taxi fare?
Any opinions appreciated.

J&T

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
There are many options, I don't know about Uber, but various agencies provide taxi service for this route, not cheap, and a good 6 hours or so - not sure if that is advisable with a small kid after a long flight....(could also consider a night or two in a hotel in Punta Cana, then do the trip to Sosua.)

This is one agency site offers taxi or mini-van, no personal experience though: https://cocotours.com/

But I know what you mean by no easy flight option to POP from UK, check TUI.be (must go to this Belgium site and via BRU). Maybe you can get a connecting flight from UK in time, it's a bit too tight now as you need to get your baggage and re-check-in and go through security again.

Good luck...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi, does anyone have any information on being picked up at PUJ and transported (3 people) to Sosua via Taxi/Uber?
It's challenging (as well as expensive) to fly into POP from the UK these days (no direct flights) so I'm considering this option. (We have a 4 year old with us)!
I'm guessing $200 US/$10,000RD will cover the taxi fare?
Any opinions appreciated.

J&T

Do you have to go to POP? Do you have any flexibility to have your holiday in Punta Cana or another location. It is a very long ride, especially after being on a long flight and then sitting in a vehicle for hours to reach your destination. If you are locked into Sosua you might want to consider flights in AZS which is El Catey Airport near Las Terrenas. If you fly in here it's about half the amount of time to Sosua.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are UK flights that land in PC and then continue on to SDQ....
if that interests you

or

Fly to MIA or NYC and then to POP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What ww said - MIA or NYC or Toronto, Montreal

A six+ hour road trip with a young child immediately after a long int'l flight - pull my fingernails out now! You know you are going to have to stop for bathroom breaks, and to eat. That six hour trip is really going to be more like 7.5 hours and depending on arrival time in PC, maybe some of that will be after dark driving.

If you stayed in PC overnight to get some rest and reset before the final push to Sosua - the $$$ spent would go a long way towards offsetting any additional cost in airfare via the USA/CAN if you can make the connection times work. The road trip is long, tedious and inherently riskier safety wise than flying to your actual destination after a stopover.

The final cost of getting from one place to another is not always about the lowest possible cost. Convenience and less stress logistics have value too.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Taxi rates from PUJ to Sosua are going to be very high. Just the rate from *PUJ to Santo Domingo is going to be about US$200+-. It is basically the same distance from the Capital to Sosua so you can double that $ amount to arrive at a range of the tariffs. This does not even include the tip to be provided the chauffeur. You will be better served to work out a flight agenda to POP. It is a better location (closer) for the surface travel to Sosua. You have to balance your travel $cost to/from POP vs the travel costs of your and the family's to include the intangible costs of stress of long/distance/time surface travel to/from PUJ.

What airport is your UK origin and travel dates? Some posters may be able to research a route and cost for you.

Regards,

PJT

*the surface trip from PUJ to Sosua will involve passage to Santo Domingo.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
www.westjet.ca

I just took a quick look. Don't know when you wish to travel but lots of flights from gatwick to pop via toronto. Prices from $400 - $900 depending on dates. Seats will often go on sale as the departure date approaches. I saw a return flight with only 2 hours in yyz for $387.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The only problem w/ UK to POP is it calls for an overnight on UK-POP leg.
Afternoon arrival ... next morning departure

The POP-UK leg is slick... short layover w/ time for a snack

I have done it more than once....thru Toronto.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If you can Land in SDQ would be cheapper, British has codeshare with Iberia but have to make an stop in MAD, or with AA with stop in MIA and land direct in POP.

in PUJ Uber is banned, so you will have to get diferent transportation from PUJ.

TUI Brussels has one flight that stop in POP but you will have to do 2 tops as you are in UK and they fly BUR-SDQ-POP-BRU, With Condor you can also land in SDQ and from there hire a taxi to take you to Puerto Plata, Uber drivers ask people pinking up from the airport make some walk not close to taxi drivers from the airport to skip troubles with them picking up people in the airport. British has also codeshare with Copa, you can fly from UK to PTY and take a copa flight to Santiago STI and from there is only like almost 2 hrs drive to Sosua.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Hi Guys and thanks for all of your input! The flights via Germany and Belgium will involve flying to the said countries the night before and shacking up in the airports, the flights to POP leave early meaning you don't have time to pick up your bags, clear customs, check-in again and clear security. I've never travelled to PUJ before, always to POP (we have a house in Sosua). Thanks for pointing out about my 4 year old, I just didn't think of the breaks required for the long road journey!
"Gringo", I'll check out the West-jet option, sounds good - I'll be in touch well in advance of our departure. Once again, thanks everyone for the excellent input, I'm grateful.
No definite dates yet, but I'll be there in the next month or so.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I did the journey by bus from Punta Cana (to Moncion, around 1.5 hours west of Santiago) having arrived with British Airways from the UK and back. The bus journeys are fine to be honest. From Punta Cana you have a choice of a few buses with the Bavaro Express. From memory it takes around 3 hours to the capital. The buses are fab, two levels, great seats, wifi, leg room, TV and a toilet and when they drop you off there are taxis waiting to take you to Caribe or Metro. If you get the 9am bus you can always stay in the capital for lunch and then get the bus out going north. Both Caribe and Metro are fine as well especially Caribe's new buses bwith great seat recliners, extra leg room seats by the exit door, TVs, music (bring your own headphones) and of course there is a toilet on the bus. There is a 15 minute stop in Santiago and although you are not supposed to eat on the bus, you can if you are sneaky. The wifi is good as well. I did the trip both ways by buses and stayed in Punta Cana overnight each time. I would much rather spend a day on a comfortable bus in the DR than change planes.

Matilda

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Hi Guys and thanks for all of your input! The flights via Germany and Belgium will involve flying to the said countries the night before and shacking up in the airports, the flights to POP leave early meaning you don't have time to pick up your bags, clear customs, check-in again and clear security. I've never travelled to PUJ before, always to POP (we have a house in Sosua). Thanks for pointing out about my 4 year old, I just didn't think of the breaks required for the long road journey!
"Gringo", I'll check out the West-jet option, sounds good - I'll be in touch well in advance of our departure. Once again, thanks everyone for the excellent input, I'm grateful.
No definite dates yet, but I'll be there in the next month or so.

The Westjet flight is okay for going from POP to UK, but from UK to POP you need a night in Toronto, which I don't think is going to be cheap or easy.

I have the same issue this year, last year I used Eurowings going and via BRU coming back, but this year Eurowings is not available (for online booking) - my friend says he contacted an agent and she said she can book a charter Eurowings out of Dusseldorf to POP, but the price quoted was expensive and for a two weeks return flight, which is not worth it (if you intend to stay for longer) - that is also too early morning to catch from UK.

I also checked to Santo Domingo, via BRU is not good also as is too early to catch from UK, and via Madrid by BA it is £770 a return ticket, and you still need the bus to north coast, while direct to PUJ return is about £560 for my dates !

And there is absolutely no way I go through USA, so the Punta Cana is one viable option. Or a sleep over in Brussels...! (BRU airport Sheraton hotel is about £70 a night and could worth it).

Let me know if you find anything else...