Residency First Steps

E

ed1992

Hi. I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. What do I need to get residency in the Dominican Republic? So far I think I need:

-birth certificate

-certificate of good conduct from police

-medical certificate confirming current health status

-letter from bank of good standing

-letter explaining why I want to apply for residency

-passport copies

Is that correct? Is there anything missing?

W

william webster

Just type 'Residency' into the search bar at the upper right corner...
You'll be reading a while.

Try a lawyer.....

E

etolw

You have to start the residency process in your home country.

Contact your nearest Dominican embassy, they will inform you what documents you need to get the visa you need in your passport before entering Dominican republic to apply for residency.
They will also provide a list of the requirements for the type of residency you want to apply for.

Hire a lawyer to help with the process when you arrive is probably the best.

Here are official information (spanish) about residency and requirements
https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/25

Last edited:
E

ed1992

You have to start the residency process in your home country.

Contact your nearest Dominican embassy, they will inform you what documents you need to get the visa you need in your passport before entering Dominican republic to apply for residency.
They will also provide a list of the requirements for the type of residency you want to apply for.

Hire a lawyer to help with the process when you arrive is probably the best.

Here are official information (spanish) about residency and requirements
https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/25

Thank you!!!

W

william webster

your nearest embassy/consulate will be able to get you started

sorry to mislead you.... but hidden in those renewals are original application questions

D

drstock

When I first started my Residency I went to a lawyer here who told me what I would need and gave me the necessary documents to take back to the DR embassy in my country. After I had done the business there, I came back to the DR where the lawyer helped me with the rest of the process. I wouldn't have liked to do it the first time without the lawyer's help, but in subsequent years you can do it yourself.

W

windeguy

I would love to know more... do not want the hassle entailed in the residency process as described herein and elsewhere

I know of no such avenues at this time. It used to be that way. And it was probably the way I got my first residency card back in 2002 when there was a very active mafia in Migracion. I recently had a hang up in my residency renewal and there was nobody to pay off to fix it. I talked to several immigration lawyers about this and they all said I needed to go through the process. Nothing else would work. I simply got the correct documents, paid the fees, waited and got my renewal myself.

Perhaps RDKNIGHT can point you in a direction where this is still possible, but beware you may be getting a phony residency card. The current process is somewhat complicated and starts with the proper documents and visa in your passport from the DR embassy in your home country, etc, etc...

W

william webster

RDKnight.... are you there ???

Calling RDKnight.....

Please speak up and help this man....divulge your contacts....

B

Big

I am quite sure no one is going to divulge their contacts on this forum. Anyone who has lived and worked here has established trusted contacts for their needs. If one has no contacts he/she has probably been living in an xpat cocoon and thus must hurry up and stand in line. Greasing the proper parts is essential for not running around in circles.

W

william webster

Read the posts made....

He's a bit famous in some threads