Best Small Beach Hotel

S

solisdad2000

Hi. I'm looking for a small hotel, by the beach (or VERY close). Ideally the hotel will be pretty and have a pool and either a restaurant serving good food (international standard) or with good restaurants nearby. A pretty beach would be especially nice (I used to live in Barbados, on the West coast, literally on the beach, so my experience is a spotless beach of yellow sand and crystal clear blue water, no offshore rigs or other ugly distractions.)

I'm only looking to make a 2-3 night stay. I'm not looking for a "luxury" hotel and my search is price sensitive. I live in the DR (in the capital) so anywhere is within reach but I'm not interested in Santo Domingo (no beach) or Boca Chica (ugh!). Small hotel means I'm not looking for any of those giant hotels with thousands of tourists; I want something that feels a little more intimate. Goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that it needs to be clean and with a reasonable standard of service.

Hopefully any suggestions will be findable on the web (whether or not suggestions come with a link) so I can take a "look" before booking.

(I've been silent and effectively absent from DR1 for years because of severe legal issues here. Now rising above the sewer and hopefully more able to live a little - this will be my first 'holiday' since before 2011.)

Thanks for any help.

C

cobraboy

Hotel Playa Colibri in Las Terrenas fits your requirements.

S

solisdad2000

Thanks. I had a look. Small beach but it looks fine. Everything else also seems to fit, as you said. So thanks for the suggestion and rapid reply. I'll wait and see what else might be suggested before deciding but it's definitely an agreeable possibility.

F

Fulano2

Bahia Blanca
RIO SAN JUAN
Dont expect luxury but it is almost built in the sea

D

Don PISTOLAS

Bahia Blanca
RIO SAN JUAN
Dont expect luxury but it is almost built in the sea

I second this!! Bring a tablet or laptop. My room didnt have a TV. But thats one of the things I liked! It is sooooo relaxing there!!

M

Matilda

I think for beaches and great restaurants Las Terrenas would be the best. I adore https://casabonitadr.com/en/ but you may need a second mortgage. Truly beautiful, spectacular and great food.

Matilda

C

cobraboy

If you want to get off the grid, consider Playa Paraiso at Playa Magante. It is the former Los Gringos that many DR1ers frequented.

They have 3-4 simple cabanas perfect for disappearing from the known world for a while. It is not a hotel, per se...

Not sure of they have a website, but here they are on FayBoo: https://www.facebook.com/paraisomagante/

W

william webster

Just 'semi'.... not terrible... Kowalski Kawality

Magante - ask for Wendy...

F

Fulano2

Just 'semi'.... not terrible... Kowalski Kawality

Magante - ask for Wendy...
As much as I like and know Wendy....the last time we went there in 2018, she had three bottles of wine available, had to have changed bulbs while we with our guests were dining....
I would not recommend this place.

W

william webster

Yup----- I don't think they're doing well... but trying hard

Did you drink all 3 bottles ??

• Haha
Reactions: lucanunez
F

Fulano2

Yup----- I don't think they're doing well... but trying hard

Did you drink all 3 bottles ??
Two of them, but the winelist had a variety of at least ten or twelve. Embarrassing if you order two or three kinds and have to say you tan out of this one, this one etc.
Every Penny she makes goes directly to the family.

W

william webster

Cdn fellow owns it now... I have texted w/ him.

Same staff as Patrick-
but Patrick had a knack for getting to the kitchen at just the right time to get the meal perfect.

Rooms are nice - view excellent... beach deserted.