Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quality of Life in the DR: Is it improving?

Income inequality, poorly managed government institutions, lack of public services, broken judicial system, low-hanging fruit mentality, lack of meritocracy, high corruption levels, low quality of public schools, infant and unproven social security system, slightly above average crime and violent crime levels, lack of transparency and accountability of government officials, unreliable healthcare system, completely broken energy sector, impunity and no consequences, and the list can go on and on and on.

Many traits and characteristics of the DR are truly at a level everyone would wish it be better. The same can be said of many countries. There will always be cases and examples of countries that are way better off (Nordics, Japan, Developed European, etc.) and way worse (Haiti, Venezuela, Sub-Saharan countries, some LatAm countries, etc.). However, how have we fared in the grand scheme of things? In the past 30-40 years post-establishment of "democracy" have we experienced improvement?

I think that the average Dominican (or people who have lived in the DR for many years) has gotten into a contemplative state of observing all the negatives of living in the DR.

Focusing on the negatives and developing a pessimistic outlook in terms of living in the country is a common line of thought. I, to a fault, have fallen into this category for many years. Great frustration in the belief that we're heading nowhere as days go by, yet staying optimistic about the "hope" of a change in the future.

How do you, personally feel, the country has fared through time (not this particular government and not compared to other countries) and where is it heading forward?
    Last edited by ElVenao; 05-06-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typos

2. Likes beeza liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting - I was having similar thoughts today

Still a long way to go - I fear.

My thoughts wandered when I saw a young girl carrying a baby - too young many would say.

She is no different than any other adolescent in the world... hormones start running...
    but w/o any sex education or contraceptives their first experiments can be life altering.

I suppose it's just a fact of life in some countries....

They are working here on the school system - I hear

Unfortunately... the natives (for lack of a better word) are very accepting of the status quo - I feel, as I see it.

Successful change usually necessitates a grass roots push - from the bottom up.
    None of that here it appears... force feeding... and that rarely is as effective

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElVenao View Post
    Income inequality, poorly managed government institutions, lack of public services, broken judicial system, low-hanging fruit mentality, lack of meritocracy, high corruption levels, low quality of public schools, infant and unproven social security system, slightly above average crime and violent crime levels, lack of transparency and accountability of government officials, unreliable healthcare system, completely broken energy sector, impunity and no consequences, and the list can go on and on and on.

Many traits and characteristics of the DR are truly at a level everyone would wish it be better. The same can be said of many countries. There will always be cases and examples of countries that are way better off (Nordics, Japan, Developed European, etc.) and way worse (Haiti, Venezuela, Sub-Saharan countries, some LatAm countries, etc.). However, how have we fared in the grand scheme of things? In the past 30-40 years post-establishment of "democracy" have we experienced improvement?

I think that the average Dominican (or people who have lived in the DR for many years) has gotten into a contemplative state of observing all the negatives of living in the DR.

Focusing on the negatives and developing a pessimistic outlook in terms of living in the country is a common line of thought. I, to a fault, have fallen into this category for many years. Great frustration in the belief that we're heading nowhere as days go by, yet staying optimistic about the "hope" of a change in the future.

How do you, personally feel, the country has fared through time (not this particular government and not compared to other countries) and where is it heading forward?
    "Income inequality, poorly managed government institutions, lack of public services, broken judicial system, low-hanging fruit mentality, lack of meritocracy, high corruption levels, low quality of public schools, infant and unproven social security system, slightly above average crime and violent crime levels, lack of transparency and accountability of government officials, unreliable healthcare system, completely broken energy sector, impunity and no consequences, and the list can go on and on and on."

Is the RD the only country facing these same exact issues, or are you just being selective? Yes, I know this is an RD related webforum, but the RD is far from the only country facing these same exact issues in 2019.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Progress in this country usually occurs in "baby steps" and is all but imperceptible unless you are directly affected by a specific change. Society will continue to sputter until education, the judiciary and Govt malfeasance undergo major reforms.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElVenao View Post

Well 'I came back'. I had decided to stay in the USA. I spent three years there except for a trip to Colombia and Panama for 3 months in 2017 And had said I would stay there, but came back here for my own reasons. For me it is better than the USA in many ways. What scares me here is the constant earthquakes. The 'Did you feel it did you feel it?' Bothers this old guy more than some couple from New York got bumped off because they were looking for drugs here. Traffic is a lot worse most anywhere I have been in the USA, The fat old gals waddling the streets of Chicago and Atlanta are no comparison to the perky little brown babes we see here constantly. Prices! Damn I can rent a good place with air conditioning for 8000 pesos about $160.00 a month and has air cond as well as hot water. Buy fresh fruit off a truck that delivers it to the door. Find that where ever you came from. It costs me about 20% as much to eat here than in Mississippi. Of course if one has to buy products made in the USA one pays accordingly, but if you choose to eat natural and healthy you can do so for about one fifth of what it costs if you buy at Publix in Miami or Piggly Wiggly in Nawlins.
    Derfish

7. Likes Polar Bear, yacht chef liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bienvenido!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot of different metrics and subjectivity to "improving."

I would definitely say, subjectively, that there have been significant improvements in the quality of life in the DR, especially economically and in transparency and efficiency of gubmint.

It's not perfect---no place is---and much needs to be done, but the DR is better today than in 2008.

There is a positive evolution.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been here since 2006 so maybe not that long. i've seen quite a lot of things change for the worse but let's keep this thread on a positive note. the quality of my life certainly improved. lots of food items i never saw before are easily available now: bread flour, poppy seeds, turmeric, filo pastry and more. we have pretty much 24/7 power now and so does most of the city. the infrastructure has improved: SD received metro/teleferico, santiago got a neat bypass, bunch of new roads constructed all over DR (not so much in puerto plata province but credit where credit's due). baby steps, you know. wobbly but moving forward. ish.

North Coast Moderator

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been here from 2001 and loads of improvements. Many kids at school all day, with 3 meals a day. Teachers salaries improved leaps and bounds - not sure quality of teaching has improved mind. Lots of new roads, roads which were mud are now paved. Internet much better and more online options such as online banking which makes life much easier as well as online payment options. As dv8 says more products in the supermarkets - not that all have reached my area yet, but some have like horseradish, basmati rice, arborio rice and tahini. Still no mushrooms though. The justice system still needs work but in my second experience with them was a vast improvement over the first. Excellent medical care in Santiago and Santo Domingo. Definite improvements in many areas.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Been here over 23 years now (just visited on and off prior to that) and there has been a lot of changes over the years. Technology, shopping, roads, transportation, etc... When I came the really only good/large supermarket was El Nacional, fast food was Tropi-Burger/Pica Pollo. Definite improvement with electricity. Even the airport SDQ has changed since I first arrived. Sure there are some negatives but there are many more positives.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast