hello all

E

ese tipo

Hi everyone, will be in Santiago 5/20 and I'm frantically trying to find a window a/c,of course not having much luck.After having scoured posts about a/c's in RD I realize that a mini split is probably the best solution, but because my wife is in a rental, penetrating an exterior wall is not an option.Our second and possibly most feasible option is a portable unit, but after some research and quite frankly negative reviews I think this option is a complete lose lose situation being as how the more efficient and effective units are dual hose and after trying to find in Santiago.... no go,the only option so far is a single hose 12000 BTU unit at pricemart for roughly $30,000 Rd and thats too much to spend for what may wind up being a nightstand! Which(finally) brings me around to my request does any one know where I could find a window unit 5-6k BTU in Santiago? I've checked mercado libra and pulga for the last few weeks and nada.Or would anyone recomend a shipper in Philadelphia area that may be able to ship by the 20th to 25th?we have a vimenpaq account but I fear that a $150.00 a/c would wind up costing an arm and leg and not a viable option.Thanx in advance

A

AlterEgo

You could buy one in Philadelphia and use Camden Cargo Express. (856) 225-1580 If you ship in next few days it might get there by 20th, it’s door to door mundanza service.

J

JDJones

Where are you looking for window A/C's? Pricesmart has them, as well as most larger department stores and Hardware stores.

Installing them is pretty simple for most window types and can be done with next to little damage or none at all.

E

ese tipo

Where are you looking for window A/C's? Pricesmart has them, as well as most larger department stores and Hardware stores.

Installing them is pretty simple for most window types and can be done with next to little damage or none at all.

Hi and thanks for reply,I've called pricemart and no window units just the portables, as well as corripio,la Sirena,Ochoa and America ferreterias,none of whom carry window units or portables for that matter.

E

ese tipo

You could buy one in Philadelphia and use Camden Cargo Express. (856) 225-1580 If you ship in next few days it might get there by 20th, it’s door to door mundanza service.
Hi alter,I had a terrible experience with Camden, after having first shipped a box with no problems I thought a tanque would go just as smooth... but no, got held up for over 3 mos. and I swear to you (you may think I'm joking) it wasn't until I got my local Telemundo affiliate to investigate and within a week tanque was delivered.so while I appreciate the suggestion I'll have to pass.Can't deal with that stress again.

A

AlterEgo

Hi alter,I had a terrible experience with Camden, after having first shipped a box with no problems I thought a tanque would go just as smooth... but no, got held up for over 3 mos. and I swear to you (you may think I'm joking) it wasn't until I got my local Telemundo affiliate to investigate and within a week tanque was delivered.so while I appreciate the suggestion I'll have to pass.Can't deal with that stress again.

I’m sure every shipper has customers with similar stories. We’ve used them exclusively since Embarque Bella Vista closed. Last year we shipped 18 boxes, this year 21, plus various weed walkers, bikes, etc. We did have one box which had been opened, they ate a bag of chocolates and left the empty bag in the box, lol! I wouldn’t have even noticed if they’d thrown the bag away.

D

Derfish

Hi everyone, will be in Santiago 5/20 and I'm frantically trying to find a window a/c,of course not having much luck.After having scoured posts about a/c's in RD I realize that a mini split is probably the best solution, but because my wife is in a rental, penetrating an exterior wall is not an option.Our second and possibly most feasible option is a portable unit, but after some research and quite frankly negative reviews I think this option is a complete lose lose situation being as how the more efficient and effective units are dual hose and after trying to find in Santiago.... no go,the only option so far is a single hose 12000 BTU unit at pricemart for roughly $30,000 Rd and thats too much to spend for what may wind up being a nightstand! Which(finally) brings me around to my request does any one know where I could find a window unit 5-6k BTU in Santiago? I've checked mercado libra and pulga for the last few weeks and nada.Or would anyone recomend a shipper in Philadelphia area that may be able to ship by the 20th to 25th?we have a vimenpaq account but I fear that a $150.00 a/c would wind up costing an arm and leg and not a viable option.Thanx in advance

So ya ask the landlord for permiso to penetrate the wall. He may be like mine and charge 2000 pesos extra deposit to be returned if I patch the wall when I go. It cost that plus another 2000 pesos to have the split system installed.
Derfish

E

ese tipo

So ya ask the landlord for permiso to penetrate the wall. He may be like mine and charge 2000 pesos extra deposit to be returned if I patch the wall when I go. It cost that plus another 2000 pesos to have the split system installed.
Derfish
Hey fish we tried the sweet talk to no avail she is concerned with vibration from hammer drill cracking her finish
don't blame her one bit,the one thing she agreed to is to allow a welder to make a box for window unit.
I guess you can say on the split system she's impenetrable (yes pun intended)

L

LTSteve

DUMB QUESTION???? Why would you book a rental in the DR that does not have A/C??? Just curious???? How long are you renting this place? "Wind up being a nightstand". I'm really not sure what you mean by this? In going out and buying a small A/C unit you have to way whether your comfort or dis-comfort is worth the price. Shipping one from the US does not seem to make any sense. Also are you sure that the electrical set up in this rental can handle plugging in an A/C unit? I would be sure of this before you jump through all the hoops? GET A DIFFERENT RENTAL!!!!!!!!

J

JDJones

Hi and thanks for reply,I've called pricemart and no window units just the portables, as well as corripio,la Sirena,Ochoa and America ferreterias,none of whom carry window units or portables for that matter.

I can tell you that's not true. The 5K BTU 110V ones can be hard to find, but a 9k BTU can be had in quite a few stores.

I'm not sure why you're getting that answer unless you're speaking to someone who doesn't understand what you're looking for in every place.

Let me ask you this: Do you think nobody uses window A/C units?

E

ese tipo

DUMB QUESTION???? Why would you book a rental in the DR that does not have A/C??? Just curious???? How long are you renting this place? "Wind up being a nightstand". I'm really not sure what you mean by this? In going out and buying a small A/C unit you have to way whether your comfort or dis-comfort is worth the price. Shipping one from the US does not seem to make any sense. Also are you sure that the electrical set up in this rental can handle plugging in an A/C unit? I would be sure of this before you jump through all the hoops? GET A DIFFERENT RENTAL!!!!!!!!

Not a dumb question at all!just not enough detail on my end.the rental is my in-laws.

E

ese tipo

I have asked myself the very same question.I am a fluent Spanish speaker so I know my message is getting through clearly (de Ventana)
I don't know where else I should be looking, as I mentioned I've tried the major outlets, the online want ads, word of mouth.
I'll encourage you to just take a quick look on mercado libre under air acondicionado,should be easy enough, but yet here I am on a message board trying to find one.

J

JDJones

I have asked myself the very same question.I am a fluent Spanish speaker so I know my message is getting through clearly (de Ventana)
I don't know where else I should be looking, as I mentioned I've tried the major outlets, the online want ads, word of mouth.
I'll encourage you to just take a quick look on mercado libre under air acondicionado,should be easy enough, but yet here I am on a message board trying to find one.

I guess you're right. Two clicks on Corotos got me this:

https://www.corotos.com.do/listings.../acondicionador-de-aire-5-200-btu-110-voltio-

Or this guy with various on Mercado libre

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.do/MRD-410984501-aire-acodicionado-de-ventana-_JM

A

AlterEgo

We have those “window” air conditioners in our 3 DR bedrooms, but none of them go through windows. I’ve never seen a Dominican home with a window ac. They put them through a hole in the block wall, then have a metal cage outside to prevent theft. So, asking if they sell window air conditioners might be the reason they’re saying they don’t have them. Wrong terminology

J

JDJones

We have those “window” air conditioners in our 3 DR bedrooms, but none of them go through windows. I’ve never seen a Dominican home with a window ac. They put them through a hole in the block wall, then have a metal cage outside to prevent theft. So, asking if they sell window air conditioners might be the reason they’re saying they don’t have them. Wrong terminology

I had an old 36000 BTU one I had laying around the office that I installed in hole in the wall here in the Free Zone.

It disappeared one weekend, even though the Free Zone has guards all over the place and the A/C was so big it required 4 persons to carry it.

Another unsolved mystery.

E

ese tipo

At the risk of being labeled "that guy" or "man this guy wants it at his doorstep", my request from the start is and was Santiago.I won't be there long enough to take a drive to SD or much anywhere else for that matter to be able to buy.I appreciate the effort( of course if it isn't sarcastic)but I think you can now see what I thought would be a little laborious has turned out to be near impossible.I thank you nonetheless.

E

ese tipo

You may have a point there.I think my best resort will actually be walking the aisles of the stores while I'm there.I too have not seen any window units and it may be because most windows there are the jalousie type (just a guess) and install would be a PIA

J

JDJones

You may have a point there.I think my best resort will actually be walking the aisles of the stores while I'm there.I too have not seen any window units and it may be because most windows there are the jalousie type (just a guess) and install would be a PIA

Hit the compra ventas first. Better yet, have you wife or in laws hit the compraventas so you don't have to do the legwork.

Jalousie windows are the easiest as long as the window is wider than the A/C. You just slide out the slats. Easy Peasy.

By the way, you can also install a split near or over the jalousie window and run the tubes through the top slot after you remove the slat. Voila' - no hole in the wall.