Opening a hostel

E

ed1992

I am thinking of moving to Punta Cana later this year to open a hostel. I'll need to enlist a lawyer to help me. I'm worried about finding property to use. Is it difficult to convert a house into a business?

Thanks!

T

TropicalPaul

Having done this myself, my main tip is ONLY use a Dominican Architect, and one who works locally and has good connections with the Ayuntamiento. I made the mistake of using a foreign architect who spoke English, and I've had a nightmare with permissions ever since because he didn't have the right relationships in place. Secondly, before you buy the property, get your architect to talk to the Ayuntamiento and see whether they are going to be likely to give permission for change of use (Uso de Suelo). Important to do this before you buy, not after. There is so much for sale in Dom Rep, it's always a buyer's market and even if you wait 9 months or a year before you buy, chances are that the property will still be on the market. Final tip, study your market very very carefully. There are a lot of smaller hotels in Punta Cana which are seriously struggling. The big resorts are doing well, but the smaller ones are seriously finding it hard to compete with AirBnB. There are a lot of costs involved in running a hotel or hostel here and you must factor in the taxes that you will have to pay as it's very hard to run any sort of business without paying them these days.

E

ed1992

Having done this myself, my main tip is ONLY use a Dominican Architect, and one who works locally and has good connections with the Ayuntamiento. I made the mistake of using a foreign architect who spoke English, and I've had a nightmare with permissions ever since because he didn't have the right relationships in place. Secondly, before you buy the property, get your architect to talk to the Ayuntamiento and see whether they are going to be likely to give permission for change of use (Uso de Suelo). Important to do this before you buy, not after. There is so much for sale in Dom Rep, it's always a buyer's market and even if you wait 9 months or a year before you buy, chances are that the property will still be on the market. Final tip, study your market very very carefully. There are a lot of smaller hotels in Punta Cana which are seriously struggling. The big resorts are doing well, but the smaller ones are seriously finding it hard to compete with AirBnB. There are a lot of costs involved in running a hotel or hostel here and you must factor in the taxes that you will have to pay as it's very hard to run any sort of business without paying them these days.

Thanks! I think I'm going to rent, not buy. Do you run a hostel or a small hotel? I'm going to have a private room or two which I'll list on AirBnB. If I don't alter the property, I don't need an architect, correct?

T

TropicalPaul

Thanks! I think I'm going to rent, not buy. Do you run a hostel or a small hotel? I'm going to have a private room or two which I'll list on AirBnB. If I don't alter the property, I don't need an architect, correct?

I own a hotel. If you are going to rent rooms in your own home then at this stage you don't need permission to do this and you won't need an architect. You need to think about getting residency if you are intending to stay more than 1 month at a time. Some on here will say this isn't necessary, but if you are running a business then you will find it hard to do so without having a cedula. It really comes down to the scale of your operation. If you are renting a place with four bedrooms and rent out a couple to other people on AirBnB then you'll be under the radar and you are probably best advised not to bother to get permission. If you are going to put a sign up and have five or six rooms, cook breakfast, employ staff, and start listing on sites like Hotels.com or Booking.com then you're running a business and it's a different ball game - you will need residency, you will need your business to be registered, pay taxes, and have the proper permissions.

E

ed1992

I own a hotel. If you are going to rent rooms in your own home then at this stage you don't need permission to do this and you won't need an architect. You need to think about getting residency if you are intending to stay more than 1 month at a time. Some on here will say this isn't necessary, but if you are running a business then you will find it hard to do so without having a cedula. It really comes down to the scale of your operation. If you are renting a place with four bedrooms and rent out a couple to other people on AirBnB then you'll be under the radar and you are probably best advised not to bother to get permission. If you are going to put a sign up and have five or six rooms, cook breakfast, employ staff, and start listing on sites like Hotels.com or Booking.com then you're running a business and it's a different ball game - you will need residency, you will need your business to be registered, pay taxes, and have the proper permissions.

I plan on getting residency. I heard I don't need it to own a business, but I must have it to work in the business. So to get permission do I get a lawyer?

T

TropicalPaul

I plan on getting residency. I heard I don't need it to own a business, but I must have it to work in the business. So to get permission do I get a lawyer?

What permission are you talking about? If you are going to set up a business, then you definitely need a lawyer to get the business registered, and you definitely need an architect if you want to do something like change the use on a building that you are renting from residential to commercial. I think it is right that only the owner of the building can change its use - so you will need to discuss this with the owner if you rent the building as they may not want their house to be classed as a business forever more.

If you do set up a business and intend to pay taxes and employ people, trust me it is a very complicated process and you need to take time to understand how it all works.

C

Chirimoya

An area of economic opportunity in PC/Bavaro is low-cost accommodation aimed at the local working population.

F

Fulano2

An area of economic opportunity in PC/Bavaro is low-cost accommodation aimed at the local working population.
I am sorry but low cost is not the term, you mean low price. Do you see this new in the country dealing and struggling with tigres? And what can they pay Anyway?

J

JDJones

I am sorry but low cost is not the term, you mean low price. Do you see this new in the country dealing and struggling with tigres? And what can they pay Anyway?

We're not talking about tigueres, we're talking about employees in the hotels.

TONS of employees in hotels are transported back and forth every day from Punta Cana to Higuey to cheap housing. That's one hour each way every day.

Low cost housing would definitely be a good idea with the proper controls. Ideally run it as a Pension.

Better yet? Stick a bunk bed in there and they'll double up.

They'll also find others who works different shifts to split the cost of the rent.

New hotels are opening every day. The housing situation for employees is critical already and it's only going to get worse.

C

Chirimoya

If you're prepared to be hands on - which I appreciate not everyone is - buildings with several simple one-bedroom units have sprung up all over Veron and other working class areas around Bavaro. They're rented out to people who have jobs and seem to do very well. Our trabajadora saved up and built four units next to her house and has already found tenants, making sure that they have permanent employment, no kids, no motoconchos, etc.

Going a bit more upmarket, a lot of entrepreneurs are building apartments in the same areas, aimed at professionals and business owners who can't afford PC-Bavaro rents/prices. Think Ciudad las Palmas, Caracoli and the residential complex next to Hospiten.

J

JDJones

San Cristobal is also growing rapidly due to it's proximity to Santo Domingo.

There are many new residencial housing areas built and ready to move in.

You can have your choice of housing from 2 to 6mm+ in different areas of the city.

Most are very nice with controlled access and security guards.

R

RDKNIGHT

I would rent to the million Venezuelans that are living in Punta Cana now ... better class of people...... and agree would be a gold mine....

T

TropicalPaul

I would rent to the million Venezuelans that are living in Punta Cana now ... better class of people...... and agree would be a gold mine....

And almost all of them are illegally in the country, can't work legally and can be deported at a moment's notice (and are being deported regularly, at least from the capital).

B

Big

The Hostel concept is a cheap place to lay your head for a few nights. Lets say you have 10 beds and get 20 bucks a night. After paying employees and utilities, working your fingers to the bone 7 days a week you MIGHT end up with 45% profit. No days off and being tied to the property. Sounds like a miserable existence

R

RDKNIGHT

And almost all of them are illegally in the country, can't work legally and can be deported at a moment's notice (and are being deported regularly, at least from the capital).

disagree....only Haitians get deported

F

Fulano2

The Hostel concept is a cheap place to lay your head for a few nights. Lets say you have 10 beds and get 20 bucks a night. After paying employees and utilities, working your fingers to the bone 7 days a week you MIGHT end up with 45% profit. No days off and being tied to the property. Sounds like a miserable existence
Some think it's a gold mine. Start one I would say. What employee or Venezolan can pay 20 $ a , 20 pesos probably.