Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Life is cheap or the cost of living is cheap? The way you put it has different connotations.
    Derfish
    Thanks for the correction, I mean cost of living is cheap, I was thinking in spanish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PR Loves DR View Post
    I'd like to know about the people, and what kind of local activities are available. Is it a laid back place? I'd like to find a place where the culture is friendly and inviting. I'm one of those people that "never meets a stranger".
    Is laid back town, not too much cultural activities there, on weekends people just go out to drink. If you like to attend cultural activities then you must live in Santo Domingo, always something to do as cultural, National Theather, Bellas Artes Palace, Casa de teatro, etc.

3. Likes PR Loves DR liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Santiago...lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. I hope that you had an opportunity to get outside the AI.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PR Loves DR View Post
    Thanks for the advice. You hit the nail on the head with "Island Fever". I have wanted to visit an island since I was a child and DR did not disappoint. I plan to be as safe as possible when I return but I'm interested in immersing myself in the culture and increasing my ability to communicate in Spanish. I know that new visitors to the islands are like fish out of water and are ripe for the picking, sometimes literally. If I live down there for any length of time, I want to be in an area which has at least a bilingual church and the most stable electricity (I know that may depend on a number of variables) available. I want to get away from the AIs and see what it's like to fend for myself, so to speak. I'm looking at moving up to doing 2 weeks a year hopefully soon. I'm not near retirement age yet and have too many toys to try to relocate.
    I don't think you said where you are from. If you are from Canada and can fly into AZS (El Catey) on the Samana Peninsula try a week or two in Las Terrenas. There are many small resorts and a large European population, mostly French. It has a different vibe than most of the DR and some of the best scenery in the country. Follow your dream, but get educated along the way.

7. Likes Joe Boots liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Taylor View Post
    Welcome to the board. I hope that you had an opportunity to get outside the AI.
    Not yet, that will have to be on my next visit.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LTSteve View Post
    I don't think you said where you are from. If you are from Canada and can fly into AZS (El Catey) on the Samana Peninsula try a week or two in Las Terrenas. There are many small resorts and a large European population, mostly French. It has a different vibe than most of the DR and some of the best scenery in the country. Follow your dream, but get educated along the way.
    Sorry about not giving my location, I'm from and still reside in the USA. I don't speak any French but I'm all about scenic views and great people! Thanks for the advice.

10. Likes Riva_31 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow LT Steve, nicely written! That is one of the best pieces of advice, on this particular thread, I have read so far.

Post Thanks / Like

PR loves DR:
    I like your enthusiasm...it bodes well if you can contain it.
    We call Punta Cana the "Independent Republic of the East" because it is so NOT the DR.

I think a stay (short) in Santo Domingo and Santiago will present you with some ideas.
    The idea of Las Terrenas is excellent and Samana is a wonderful place. You see, each one has its charms and its drawbacks

Even my Santiago (I hate to admit it) has a few negatives....

But major considerations might be:
    Entertainment: smaller towns are deserts culture-wise...booze and women
    Healthcare: Only Santo Domingo and Santiago have really top-notch care. There are a lot of tricksters out there.

Safety: A gringo is always a target in some areas. So many of us have lived here a long time with no incidents, and it is probably because we mind our business; do not cavort in the wrong places; associate with decent citizens and are aware of our surroundings. A retirement living site has to cover a lot of maybes....and prices here can be expensive...however, a nice little house in a gated community can be had for $150,000 and up....There are houses available for up to $800,000-900,000 thousand dollars, but most of those are like castles with moats and defenses against the Hun....not much freedom...

Go slow, and learn as you go.

Let us know when you are going to return, and you will probably find that somebody on this site will be happy to steer you around some place different.

Good Luck

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

13. Likes Riva_31 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    PR loves DR:
    I like your enthusiasm...it bodes well if you can contain it.
    We call Punta Cana the "Independent Republic of the East" because it is so NOT the DR.

I think a stay (short) in Santo Domingo and Santiago will present you with some ideas.
    The idea of Las Terrenas is excellent and Samana is a wonderful place. You see, each one has its charms and its drawbacks

Even my Santiago (I hate to admit it) has a few negatives....

But major considerations might be:
    Entertainment: smaller towns are deserts culture-wise...booze and women
    Healthcare: Only Santo Domingo and Santiago have really top-notch care. There are a lot of tricksters out there.

Safety: A gringo is always a target in some areas. So many of us have lived here a long time with no incidents, and it is probably because we mind our business; do not cavort in the wrong places; associate with decent citizens and are aware of our surroundings. A retirement living site has to cover a lot of maybes....and prices here can be expensive...however, a nice little house in a gated community can be had for $150,000 and up....There are houses available for up to $800,000-900,000 thousand dollars, but most of those are like castles with moats and defenses against the Hun....not much freedom...

Go slow, and learn as you go.

Let us know when you are going to return, and you will probably find that somebody on this site will be happy to steer you around some place different.

Good Luck

HB
    I appreciate all of this information! I will definitely let everyone know when I'm returning. Any suggestions on when the best time to visit will be? I went near my birthday last time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast