Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveway Gate

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driveway Gate

What's the approx. cost of a driveway gate? Not repair, but new installation,

Recommendations for a gate guy would be welcomed also. Install the track, motor & build the gate.
    Nothing fancy needed, but must be rooster proof.

If need be, I'll install the track and bring the wiring to the gate. I just need a knowledgeable gate guy in a rust-bucket pickup.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Electrifying the gate can be $1000 or so.... motor + install

The gate?
    Wood? Metal?
    Simple? Fancy?
    can be almost what want .... any design

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a gate design from a book called "Handy Farm Devices" from the late 1800s. I love it. The gate support is two posts about 9 feet tall with a couple of cross-pieces between them. But, the posts are offset so the crosspieces are at a 45-degree angle to the closed position, and to the fully open position. The gate itself goes between the posts and hangs from a chain from the top crosspiece. The gate has a pin that goes through a hole in the bottom crosspiece which is below the gate bottom. So the gate has no hinge, it twists on the chain. The end of the gate away from the road is shorter and weights less, so you have to add weight there to balance the gate. My gate has a 9-foot opening for the driveway, and the short side is only two feet beyond the posts. It has a couple of four-foot long pieces of PVC filled with concrete for a counterweight. I twisted the chain to make the gate want to close, but one could twist the other way to make a gate that stays open by itself. It moves very freely and the hinge will never wear out. My gate has barbed wire filling inside the frame, but one could use any sort of mesh. It should be kept as light as possible. I am sure a simple motor operator would be easy to mount, but mine is wife-powered! No need to tell her I said that . . .

4. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

a motor for the gate is around 30k pesos including sensors and installation. there are better brands that go for about twice as much. the gate itself is anyone's guess. small, just simple bars, no decor? under 50k. large solid metal sheet will be 100k and over.

6. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I just paid $1700 for new gate with motor 2 remotes plus ordered and installed $50 wifi module for phone control on gate ..

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    a motor for the gate is around 30k pesos including sensors and installation. there are better brands that go for about twice as much. the gate itself is anyone's guess. small, just simple bars, no decor? under 50k. large solid metal sheet will be 100k and over.
    100K for a gate. Man you are getting an all Aluminum model or what?
    My neighbor just got a driveway gate and two sidewalk gates (very ornamental) for less than 30K

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    100K for a gate. Man you are getting an all Aluminum model or what?
    My neighbor just got a driveway gate and two sidewalk gates (very ornamental) for less than 30K
    our gate is double width, about 180-190 cm tall, solid metal. no bars, no decor. just thick metal sheets welded together. plus two large support posts, plus the rail. it's kinda big.
    Last edited by dv8; 05-10-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Chico--- post #5... $1700.... that's not pesos

The electronics alone will push $1,000.... then a gate

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Chico--- post #5... $1700.... that's not pesos

The electronics alone will push $1,000.... then a gate
    Well probably. My neighbors gates which were $600 US installed have no openers just the one driveway gate is on rollers by manual operation.
    They are Dominican/American and they waited a long time for the gates to arrive.
    I just cant see $2,000 US just for the gate, unless it's very nice and maybe gringo priced.. Maybe solid metal is more because of the steel mass?

As a side note the welding on my neighbor's gate would not pass a high school welding class standard, so maybe you get what you pay for.
    And it sat rusting for weeks until the gate company came back and painted over the rust. Expect it to rust out shortly.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Well probably. My neighbors gates which were $600 US installed have no openers just the one driveway gate is on rollers by manual operation.
    They are Dominican/American and they waited a long time for the gates to arrive.
    I just cant see $2,000 US just for the gate, unless it's very nice and maybe gringo priced.. Maybe solid metal is more because of the steel mass?

As a side note the welding on my neighbor's gate would not pass a high school welding class standard, so maybe you get what you pay for.
    And it sat rusting for weeks until the gate company came back and painted over the rust. Expect it to rust out shortly.
    Seems the normal procedure here, weld the metal, wait a few days or weeks, prim it over the rust, then industrial black (usually) over the red primer. I am having a set of six gates installed, three driveway gates and three walkthrough access gates. Total price installed will be just over 300,000 pesos. none of these will be motorized at this time.

13. Likes chico bill liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast