Pros & Cons in buying a place in Costambar

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly on high...not biblical, just an opine

Pros:
It is fairly isolated and out of the madding crowd
It should be more affordable than many other places
It has a 9 hole golf course, not is very good shape
It has a fair number of non-Dominican residents, making for a cosmopolitan ambiance
Edited to show more Pros
It is close to POP-Only 15 minutes from town by sane driver
It is on the North Shore
It is 45 minutes from Santiago
Cons:
It is downwind from the Puerto Plata Bay
It is downwind from Smith-Enron Plant
It is down current from Puerto Plata

Depending on just how important these cons are, you might have your eyes on something interesting..

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Last edited:

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
I also know a Canadian couple that own a condo there and live 6months out of the year in Costombar and love it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's definitely....

a beautiful part of the country and I also know of Canadians who live there for 3-4 month of the year.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I highly recommend Costambar. I've been going there twice for 15 years and purchased a condo there. Unfortunately I only go twice a year for 2 weeks at a time because I work.
It is very safe and it is quiet. Yes it does have the power plant which is a negative due to the occasional ( I do mean occasional)noise and "black dust", however I find the postives outweigh it.
I personally wouldn't purchase too close to the plant, although me brother in law did and lives there all year.
There is a problem with power outages, but you can work around it with generators, invertors and "tinacos".
By all means purchase in Costambar.

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
We have lived in Costambar off and on for 14 yrs and built a home there in 93. My 3 children are as 'Dominican' as they are 'Canadian' and return each each yr 4-6 mos this past yr.
We have also established our business here as a Dominican Corporation.
We love Costambar. It's quiet and more laid back than many other areas we've visited, but close to Puerto Plata, Sosua, Santiago etc.
Good restaurants nearby. We use 'scooters' a lot. Horseback riding. Beach close by. Power problems corrected with generator.
Cost of living, manageable.
By all means come visit Costambar.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
renting in costambar

next month for a couple weeks. Is there horseback riding right there? what about it being a gated community? what exactly does this mean that? Can i bring a guest in considering i have friends there now and would like for them to visit me.
any other fun activities not far away or right there?
what about renting scooters? is it safer to drive them there than in POP? cost?
thanks for info
mattie