Importing a semi

P

Peterj

I would like to know how much is the import-tax for a semi-truck.
Does the "5-year rule" also applies to semi-trucks?
Thanks.

P

playacaribe2

I would like to know how much is the import-tax for a semi-truck.
Does the "5-year rule" also applies to semi-trucks?
Thanks.

Taxes vary by year, make, model etc.

Rule of thumb is to use 35-50% of its current value as the amount needed to get it in to satisfy duty, taxes, ITBIS, first placa.

Five year rule is not applicable in this case, assuming the semi is over 10,000 pounds GVW. Vehicles over 5 tons are allowed in up to 15 years old.

There are exceptions to this rule, both as to weight and taxes if, for example, the vehicle is imported for the purposes of a road construction project, tourist project etc.

Hope this was helpful.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

P

Peterj

Taxes vary by year, make, model etc.

Rule of thumb is to use 35-50% of its current value as the amount needed to get it in to satisfy duty, taxes, ITBIS, first placa.

Five year rule is not applicable in this case, assuming the semi is over 10,000 pounds GVW. Vehicles over 5 tons are allowed in up to 15 years old.

There are exceptions to this rule, both as to weight and taxes if, for example, the vehicle is imported for the purposes of a road construction project, tourist project etc.

Hope this was helpful.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Absolutely helpful! :classic:
Thanks!

J

JDJones

There is one for sale on my street. May be cheaper than importing one.
Derfish

Buying here has the "I'm going to get rich selling this" built into the price, which he can afford if he buys one and imports it himself.

As one who has a trucking business, I'd be interested to know what he plans to do with it once he gets it here.

Dealing with local sindicatos can be a PITA. It sucks owning a tractor and not being able to use it to pull your own containers from a port.