Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    I only do that with 2 friends, no body else.
    i am a sucker for punishment. i always try to help folks, but the DR is a pendejo culture. if you have a generous disposition, people believe it is their civic duty to exploit you. they mistake kindness for weakness...i will never understand it. they will try to beat you out of five pesos, on a one shot deal, rather than create a long lasting relationship.

2. Likes bigbird, Cortez, JDFriend, JDJones, lifeisgreat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i am a sucker for punishment. i always try to help folks, but the DR is a pendejo culture. if you have a generous disposition, people believe it is their civic duty to exploit you. they mistake kindness for weakness...i will never understand it. they will try to beat you out of five pesos, on a one shot deal, rather than create a long lasting relationship.
    Im Dominican and I know we have a lot people like that, always trying take advantage of everything with every body, and is must a cultural problem, but not every body is like that, I think Im one in a million because Im not like that, sometimes I think that maybe I wasborn in a wrong country.

4. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...ax#post1934273

Cell phone importers are hammered by new tariffs
    The formal sector that imports cell phones into the Dominican Republic protests the announcement of an increase from 3% to 8% of the tariffs on these phones. The increase was announced last week by the Customs Agency (DGA). Representatives of the businesses says that this slams the formal sector and will take them out of business as they cannot compete with informal operators that fully evade taxes. The DGA says that the 3% duty was established in 2005 and that the socio-economic situation at that time has been overcome.

https://www.diariolibre.com/economia...nas-LH12042876

---

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...ax#post1934273

Cell phone importers are hammered by new tariffs
    The formal sector that imports cell phones into the Dominican Republic protests the announcement of an increase from 3% to 8% of the tariffs on these phones. The increase was announced last week by the Customs Agency (DGA). Representatives of the businesses says that this slams the formal sector and will take them out of business as they cannot compete with informal operators that fully evade taxes. The DGA says that the 3% duty was established in 2005 and that the socio-economic situation at that time has been overcome.

https://www.diariolibre.com/economia...nas-LH12042876

---
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Gringos' original comment
    I believe all cell phones shipped into the DR are now subject to duty/taxes - the charges being determined by Aduanas.

=============================================================================

I'm having trouble seeing how the original post and the second apply to John Q Public
    AKA... Gorgon and me

Looks like our phones still come in the old fashioned way

7. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

...the only foolproof way I have found is in my carry on luggage, as I did a few weeks ago from Miami..and out of the boxes......but you know that the high end i phone or samsung can make you a target here...............

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Im Dominican and I know we have a lot people like that, always trying take advantage of everything with every body, and is must a cultural problem, but not every body is like that, I think Im one in a million because Im not like that, sometimes I think that maybe I wasborn in a wrong country.
    You are not the only one. Most of the Dominicans I know or work with are conscious of the fact that gringos are not walking ATMs. I see this every day. Rarely am I charged a gringo ITBIS and my Spanish sucks, so they know I'm new here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the Dominicans I know talk to me as if I have a $ sign on my forehead. Especially neighbours and family. Used to it by now. I've been coming here for 35 years and now live here, my Dominican friends know that I'm not a walking bank. I know some Dominicans who operate every day looking for someone to take advantage of, and they succeed most of the time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDFriend View Post
    Most of the Dominicans I know talk to me as if I have a $ sign on my forehead. Especially neighbours and family. Used to it by now. I've been coming here for 35 years and now live here, my Dominican friends know that I'm not a walking bank. I know some Dominicans who operate every day looking for someone to take advantage of, and they succeed most of the time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk
    you just have to come to a point in life wherein you take a stand. among the guys in my group of domino players is a guy who has no job, and who occasionally will ask me to help him with 50 pesos, to grab something to eat. recently, he asked me to import a cellphone for him, because he has seen me doing it for others. he wants a 8000 peso phone, and he will give me 500 pesos when i get it to him, and we can work out a payment plan.

i told him i will wait until he has the 8 large, then i will order the phone. i am in no rush.

12. Likes JDJones, Caonabo, JDFriend liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In the DR préstamo equals GIFT...................

14. Likes cavok, JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    you just have to come to a point in life wherein you take a stand. among the guys in my group of domino players is a guy who has no job, and who occasionally will ask me to help him with 50 pesos, to grab something to eat. recently, he asked me to import a cellphone for him, because he has seen me doing it for others. he wants a 8000 peso phone, and he will give me 500 pesos when i get it to him, and we can work out a payment plan.

i told him i will wait until he has the 8 large, then i will order the phone. i am in no rush.

I do occasional favors for friends like you do.

I learned many years ago to not order anything without being paid for it.... including estimated courier shipping and handling.

If they owe me something still, it gets paid before the item is handed over.

Doing it that way really weeds out the dreamers.

16. Likes Caonabo liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast