Where not to live on the North Coast

E

El Rey de Mangu

So it has come to my attention after 15 years of living in DR. There are local fb sites that are deleting posts that are not 100% with respect to status quo. For acampe in Cabarete there are places that newbies should be aware of. Callejon de la Loma, La Cienaga, barrio blanco etc. These are drug, whore and crime centers. Folks searching for economic places to live deserve to see this side of the commentary.

W

westcan

you mean whores practise their trade there, or are you just upset that whores live there? Seems a strange place for whores to be working, I think they would make better money in the bars of Cabarete and Sosua, not in the middle of a mostly Dominican neighborhood.

D

drstock

Basically, you are saying the barrios where Dominicans and Haitians live. I know plenty of gringos who live in Callejon de la Loma.

B

Big

calling woman "whore's" seems so angry and tacky. If you want to avoid them move to the top floor of a high-rise and never come down.

W

william webster

you mean whores practise their trade there, or are you just upset that whores live there? Seems a strange place for whores to be working, I think they would make better money in the bars of Cabarete and Sosua, not in the middle of a mostly Dominican neighborhood.

Where Not To Live..... is the title here

La Mulata is such a place...says Windy

C

cavok

I've been in and out of the Callejon, both day and night, so many times I've lost count. As already mentioned, a lot of gringos live there. It's relatively nice and fairly safe as far as barrios go. I wouldn't want to live there, but different strokes for different folks. Barrio Blanco and La Cienaga - not so nice.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Basically I posted because folks deserve to know. Everything Cab deleted all my posts on this topic. There was no abuse.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Cuero. Sorry. Based on your join date you ate forgiven.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Basically, you are saying the barrios where Dominicans and Haitians live. I know plenty of gringos who live in Callejon de la Loma.

Huh. I'm glad you know folks over there. I feel the grings looking for places to live shold have access to varying opinions.

E

etolw

I have rented an apartment in Callejon de la Loma for two years, paying 7000 pesos/month, close to the lagoon. Very basic apartment of course, and dominican price level.
Actually been staying in the apartment for 9 months. Never had a problem, but would not live there permanently because of the noise (music/motos etc). But interesting experience, drinking beer with the locals at the colmado and observing daily life.
Would not recommend it to the inexperienced tourist, but yes, many gringos live there.

Never had a serious problem there, but have moved to the gated community of Pro Cab.
Pro Cab is a quiet gated neighborhood tucked away off the main road, with beautiful homes, aged tress, palms and shrubberies. A different world.

Pro Cab is very different from Callejon, but i go visit Callejon almost daily, I have friends there. And the lagoon and the national park is very beautiful.

C

CristoRey

I would avoid living anywhere on the NC that is so isolated no one
can hear your wife screaming when someone walks in the
back door (which is usually wide open) and sticks a pistol
in her face.

C

cavok

I have rented an apartment in Callejon de la Loma for two years, paying 7000 pesos/month, close to the lagoon. Very basic apartment of course, and dominican price level.
Actually been staying in the apartment for 9 months. Never had a problem, but would not live there permanently because of the noise (music/motos etc).

That's definitely the biggest problem there - way too noisy with so many motos w/o mufflers and neighbors blasting music at all hours of the day and night.

L

ljmesg

So it has come to my attention after 15 years of living in DR. There are local fb sites that are deleting posts that are not 100% with respect to status quo. For acampe in Cabarete there are places that newbies should be aware of. Callejon de la Loma, La Cienaga, barrio blanco etc. These are drug, whore and crime centers. Folks searching for economic places to live deserve to see this side of the commentary.
Mods, isn't there enough of these threads with the exact same information over and over and over again.

Why are these allowed? I know nothing says I have to read the threads but this forum is nothing more than a recycled toilet at this point.

M

MoeP

Mods, isn't there enough of these threads with the exact same information over and over and over again.

Why are these allowed? I know nothing says I have to read the threads but this forum is nothing more than a recycled toilet at this point.

Being new here, I find this topic and the ensuing discussion very informative and appreciate up to date information about tourist and expat haeavy areas. For long time residents and forum members it may seem redundant, but there are many people new to the DR and the forum who can profit from it.

R

RDKNIGHT

total north coast .... I would not live .... not a fan just my opinion...