Starting an English School

N

NanSanPedro

What are the requirements for starting a legit business like an English school. Given that I always overstay my 30 days, is it even worth considering?

If it is unofficial and under the table, is there any real risk?

Thanks in advance for any help.

FYI, I am not planning on doing this right away, but do want to know the ins and outs in case I decide to do it a year or 2 from now.

C

CristoRey

If your just interested in making money, you can obviously do it
illegally. So long as you don't grow to big, probably won't have
to many problems. If you want it to be accredited than it would
make sense you register and do it the right way, no doubt they'll
take a look at your degrees and teaching experience as well.

C

Caonabo

What qualifies you to be a certified instructor of the English language?

D

Derfish

I'm an American and I speak English.

There are courses one can take for certification as an English Teacher. Look up TEFL Int. Teaching English as a Foreign Language. There are hundreds out there. My month long class cost me $1500 about 12 years ago. I went to Quepos Costa Rica for it. Still got the certificate. Need a 73 year old teacher?

N

NanSanPedro

There are courses one can take for certification as an English Teacher. Look up TEFL Int. Teaching English as a Foreign Language. There are hundreds out there. My month long class cost me $1500 about 12 years ago. I went to Quepos Costa Rica for it. Still got the certificate. Need a 73 year old teacher?

If I was going to work for someone else, then yea, I would get the certification. But this is would be my own business so as long as I get them to pass TOEFL, certification is not needed. That would be my guarantee.

B

bob saunders

If I was going to work for someone else, then yea, I would get the certification. But this is would be my own business so as long as I get them to pass TOEFL, certification is not needed. That would be my guarantee.

Since you seem to know it all why are you bothering to ask per your first post?

L

lifeisgreat

Since you seem to know it all why are you bothering to ask per your first post?
It’s a new niche on DR1 Multi handle 1st time posters ...wanna go partners on pizza joint that sells cell phones and ESL classes at nite it’s a niche ;)

D

Derfish

Sure it does. I'm doing it now for free.

Aren't we all. Doing it for free. This is an independent country and they have laws as ours does. Need some kind of education to be an educator, I am sure. Ask Bob Saunders, he does it.
Derfish

D

Dr_Taylor

I'm an American and I speak English.

With all due respect, your status as a U.S. citizen--Cubans are Americans too--does not qualify you to teach English. When I applied to a university in Santo Domingo, I presented a copy of my undergraduate and graduate degrees, my residency card and cedula, and my TEFL certificate. The university saw where I took my degrees and scheduled an interview for the next week. They do not hire you simply because you are a U.S. citizen. They know, as do I, that many U.S. English teachers do not know the language. If you want to teach at the university level and do not have a degree from a first-tier school, yes, some Dominican universities do look at this, then take a TEFL course as well. I took a course, and it was a nice extra. Now, I also have university teaching experience, so that helped me. If you are simply looking to teach K-12 at a small, public school, then being a U.S. citizen who speaks English may very well suffice. When you show up, consider that visit an interview and come prepared with a copy of your resume, cedula and residency card, and passport.

D

Dr_Taylor

If your school seeks to attract students from middle and professional class families, then you may desire to have more than a U.S. passport and native fluency. If you are looking to open a school adjacent to the colmado, then you may be fine.

C

Caonabo

If I am not to be mistaken, one of your introductory postings within this webforum mentioned you having relocated to the RD in order to work with and assist the Haitian communities that exist within the bateys on the outskirts of San Pedro de Macoris, as a volunteer. Was your "assistance" always planned to be a business venture for yourself, or did the idea just come to you?

2dlight

If I am not to be mistaken, one of your introductory postings within this webforum mentioned you having relocated to the RD in order to work with and assist the Haitian communities that exist within the bateys on the outskirts of San Pedro de Macoris, as a volunteer. Was your "assistance" always planned to be a business venture for yourself, or did the idea just come to you?
Just thinking out loud; wouldn't Haitians living in their adopted country (legally or illegally) be better served by learning the national language? Spanish?

N

NanSanPedro

It's just something in the back of my mind. If I have the time it would seem to be something to do to earn more money to help those in the bateys. I don't need the $ for myself, but the needs here, as expected, are voluminous. It's becoming difficult to keep up with the demand.

R

rogerramjet1

Wow!!! Aren't you clever, you caught this poster OUT with your super duper investigations. No doubt you will now have bragging rights in front of the colmado. You're so good. Teach me how to be good.....why don't you look through mine for discrepancy

C

ctrob

Just thinking out loud; wouldn't Haitians living in their adopted country (legally or illegally) be better served by learning the national language? Spanish?

Over the last couple weeks US Border Patrol Agents have been detaining groups of Haitians who were attempting to cross into the United States over the Southern border. The Haitians spoke fairly well English. They said some guy in the DR taught them.

A

AlterEgo

Wow!!! Aren't you clever, you caught this poster OUT with your super duper investigations. No doubt you will now have bragging rights in front of the colmado. You're so good. Teach me how to be good.....why don't you look through mine for discrepancy

I'd like to teach you to take the snarky remarks down several levels, do you think infractions might work?

Cut it out.