Need help with Driver's License exam

B

Buzzard

Thanks to a prior thread on DR1 I was able to take a trial run of the multiple choice test now used to evaluate knowledge of the rules and regs of the RD roads. Since I could translate the pages into English, I 'passed' easily.
However, when I went to actually take the test, the English translation option, while available, did not work.
As a result, I failed, miserably.
Can anyone advise me how to pass the test, short of learning enough Spanish between now and May 31st, when I'm rescheduled?

M

Matilda

Not sure what the going rate for 'assistance' is. It used to be RD$500 but with inflation who knows.

Matilda

D

Derfish

Thanks to a prior thread on DR1 I was able to take a trial run of the multiple choice test now used to evaluate knowledge of the rules and regs of the RD roads. Since I could translate the pages into English, I 'passed' easily.
However, when I went to actually take the test, the English translation option, while available, did not work.
As a result, I failed, miserably.
Can anyone advise me how to pass the test, short of learning enough Spanish between now and May 31st, when I'm rescheduled?

I would say offer the guy administering the test 500 pesos and you will pass.
Derfish

C

chico bill

There is a guy next to the Puerto Plata driver's license office who will help you by showing you little video on his laptop similar to the test. He charges 1,000 pesos. He can also get you the buena conducta letter while you watch the videos

B

Big

Greasing the wheels is alive and well here. I hear stories that there is a new bureaucracy here and pesos don't work like they used to. I would say quite the opposite. Pesos grease the mechanisms in every corner of govt and business. Just make sure you account for inflation.
There was a thread recently about opening a bank account and getting the quintessential run-around. I couldn't help but thinking the correct I.Ds were not submitted. The one with the correct Dominican official on one side

R

Riva_31

Not sure what the going rate for 'assistance' is. It used to be RD$500 but with inflation who knows.

Matilda

Remember here gringos pay double, 500 pesos is for Dominicans, my parking test i paid 500.00 pesos and that was more than 10 years ago, so I think he should make better offer, we must count his language limitation.

D

Derfish

Pay the VIP option and have somebody do it for you.

I, as I have said before, remember having my Chicago vehicles inspected by telephone! Why not start a business as someone was asking for a niche. Gringo licenses!
Derfish

W

william webster

Fish Scales

You need a DR license... after your residency !!

B

bienamor

why the uproar folks the test is not that hard! normally the answer is the same as your home country yes or no. would you do it or not.

C

cavok

For those that don't speak Spanish, the problem is they reverse the questions. For example, they might ask "is this permitted"? and the correct answer answer would be "no", but for the same test question, if they ask - "is this an infraction", the answer would be "yes". You have to understand what is being asked.

G

Garyexpat

and here I always thought they got their licenses in a box of corn fle

W

william webster

The tipping days are gone....

I had the VIP back when..... in the room answering the questions...
He even made mistakes so I wouldn't look like Einstein.....

No more..... The Black Knight ruined it for everybody......

B

Big

The tipping days are gone....

I had the VIP back when..... in the room answering the questions...
He even made mistakes so I wouldn't look like Einstein.....

No more..... The Black Knight ruined it for everybody......

au contraire, I rarely run into a situation where a properly placed "thank you note" doesn't move the wheels, most especially in govt situations. Obviously you cant wave pesos at the counter while standing in line but with a little forethought its not difficult to figure out. Ask for the "ejecutivo" consideration,. depending on what the "ask" is will determine the cost.

C

cavok

Last year when I applied for my drivers license in Pto. Plata I needed to go to the Procuraduria close by to get a carta de buena conducta for my upcoming residency renewal because the online service wasn't working do to some computer change. I gave the gal my receipt from Banreservas and she told me to come back in 3 hours and it would be ready.

I didn't have 3 hours to wait, so I went back to the window and discreetly tried to slip her 500 pesos to make it appear in 15 minutes. She got all nervous, started looking over her shoulder, and said, no, she couldn't do that.

The days of being able to bribe your way through anything are fading. Just ask the politicians who took bribes from Odebrecht.