What is going on with deportations?

M

Matilda

This was announced by the DGM yesterday:

"The Migration Office has carried out a series of operations in different points of the country and arrested 2,352 people including 787 Haitians who were in the country illegally or trying to enter the country illegally.
The operations took place in Greater Santo Domingo, Santiago de los Caballeros, Puerto Plata, Moca, La Vega, Mao, Valverde and San Cristóbal.
As well as Haitians, also arrested were Venezuelans, Colombians, Peruvians, Puerto Ricans, United States nationals and other nationalities."

Nothing surprising about this apart from the fact that usually over 90% are Haitian and this time it was only 33%. The figures included those not allowed to enter - so were they turning away whole plane loads of Venezuelans? In addition there seem to be a lot of foreigners being arrested at the moment - Venezuelans, Colombians and Serbians just yesterday. is the DR being invaded by more and more bad guys from overseas?

Matilda

R

Riva_31

This was announced by the DGM yesterday:

"The Migration Office has carried out a series of operations in different points of the country and arrested 2,352 people including 787 Haitians who were in the country illegally or trying to enter the country illegally.
The operations took place in Greater Santo Domingo, Santiago de los Caballeros, Puerto Plata, Moca, La Vega, Mao, Valverde and San Cristóbal.
As well as Haitians, also arrested were Venezuelans, Colombians, Peruvians, Puerto Ricans, United States nationals and other nationalities."

Nothing surprising about this apart from the fact that usually over 90% are Haitian and this time it was only 33%. The figures included those not allowed to enter - so were they turning away whole plane loads of Venezuelans? In addition there seem to be a lot of foreigners being arrested at the moment - Venezuelans, Colombians and Serbians just yesterday. is the DR being invaded by more and more bad guys from overseas?

Matilda

Haitians was 1,787, I read it on Listin Diario, still most of them are Haitian, note that most of them are Haitians returned from the border trying to come ilegally. Still more than 90%.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Public/detail?detailid=80&menuid=44

W

windeguy

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Public/detail?detailid=79&menuid=44

More than 10 thousand foreigners from seven countries were deported and not admitted by the DGM

The statistical data correspond to the month of April.

The Directorate General of Migration (DGM) reported that during the month of April, 10,809 foreigners were deported and not admitted , that they were in an irregular situation in the Dominican Republic or did not meet the requirements established in Law 285-04 .

According to the statistical report of the DGM , of the 10 thousand 809 foreigners, 5 thousand 609 were deported to their countries of origin, while another 5 thousand 200 were not admitted when trying to enter the country by air, sea and land .

According to the institution led by Lieutenant General ® (ERD) Máximo William Muñoz Delgado , the deported foreigners were from Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, the United States, Haiti, Italy and Venezuela.

The majority of deported foreigners, who had irregular immigration status, were detained during interdiction operations carried out during the last weeks in different provinces of the country.

In relation to other migratory movements, the DGM report reveals that through the national airports during the referred month, there were 639 thousand 445 entries and 674 thousand 416 departures, mainly by the Punta Cana International Airport the air terminal that concentrated the largest number of passengers, followed by the airports Las Américas in Santo Domingo, Cibao in Santiago , Gregorio Luperón in Puerto Plata, La Romana , El Catey de Samaná, Joaquín Balaguer in Santo Domingo and María Montes in Barahona.

Regarding the migratory flow through the land border, the institution reports that 30 thousand 470 entries and 24 thousand 737 exits were registered , with the Jimaní border crossing having the highest flow, followed by Dajabón, Elías Piña and Pedernales.

As regards the seaway, the statistics indicate 97 000 445 entries and 92 000 237 outlets, mainly by tourist ports Maimon in Puerto Plata and La Romana , which are the most visited by cruise traffic.

The statistical report of the DGM also indicates the voluntary return of 94 foreigners and the reception of 161 Dominicans after serving a sentence in 16 countries for the commission of different crimes.

Similarly, the report of the institution indicated the issuance of 2 079 residences of different categories to foreigners from 62 countries .

S

snowqueen

My understanding is that they often focus on people working illegally. I'm sure there are many foreigners that are guilty of this.

R

Riva_31

My understanding is that they often focus on people working illegally. I'm sure there are many foreigners that are guilty of this.

Yes, First Haitians, then Venezuelans, living here must be more than 1 million Haitians and Venezuelan last stamated count down was near to 40,000

M

Matilda

Haitians was 1,787, I read it on Listin Diario, still most of them are Haitian, note that most of them are Haitians returned from the border trying to come ilegally. Still more than 90%.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Public/detail?detailid=80&menuid=44

Apologies, the newspaper I read it in had it wrong - but that is 76% not the usual more than 90%. It still means that 565 non Haitians were not allowed to enter or were deported.

Matilda

R

Riva_31

Do your maths again Riva...:):)

Truth is I didnt make maths, as we says in spanish was al ojo por ciento, just a guess maybe are stoping to enter here people with very bad criminal record, if you remember police captured few months ago 11 italians wanted, they arrived here is not issues, and also do not remember the other nationalaty was captured too, so maybe inmigration is doing their job for few months.

L

london777

If there is a drop in percentage comprised by Haitians it could be because of the recently terminated fast-track and "free" residencia scheme which legalized a sizable percentage of Haitians (plus a few stragglers from other nations, including your humble correspondent).

C

CristoRey

I live here and work remotely for a US company. On a good week
I'll take in the equivalent of 4 months a Dominican salary.
Does this make me guilty to?

B

Big

only if you get caught! don't think that's a violation anywho

W

windeguy

No you are not guilty because you are not working for a Dominican company.