Shark visited Sosua Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ramesses

Saw a video on facebook just now....there was a shark swimming around Sosua beach this evening....fin and all.

T

Timotero

Saw a video on facebook just now....there was a shark swimming around Sosua beach this evening....fin and all.

I just saw a WhatsApp “status update” with the same thing. There were actually 3 videos.
1. The “fin” swimming around in Sosua Bay.
2. One of the longboats beaching with the shark “lassoed” by the tail and struggling alongside the boat.
3. A couple of guys dragging the lassoed shark along the beach while a bunch of kids ran alongside it. (And the shark was wiggling and snapping it’s jaws!)

Just looked at the vid clips again. Shark looks to be 5-6 feet in length. The boat that brought it ashore was named the “Edwin III”.

And if that starts happening with any frequency, a lot (more) businesses will probably close.

C

Caonabo

I just saw a WhatsApp “status update” with the same thing. There were actually 3 videos.
1. The “fin” swimming around in Sosua Bay.
2. One of the longboats beaching with the shark “lassoed” by the tail and struggling alongside the boat.
3. A couple of guys dragging the lassoed shark along the beach while a bunch of kids ran alongside it. (And the shark was wiggling and snapping it’s jaws!)

Just looked at the vid clips again. Shark looks to be 5-6 feet in length. The boat that brought it ashore was named the “Edwin III”.

And if that starts happening with any frequency, a lot (more) businesses will probably close.

Enough excitement to get the old people off their rocking chairs. What a town.

H

habi

Unfortunately the shark may not make it. Those idiots dragged him out of the water for theirs fayboo and Instagram photos/videos! :disappoin
We got him back in the water and he still was breathing when I left him but he was really weak! :(

A

Auryn

I think it’s a Shortfin Mako but not certain. The other Cachicha videos on Instagram show it on the beach and that’s my guess. Definitely not a Great White as some are speculating on social media.

S

Seamonkey

A bunch of uneducated savages. I saw the videos. They are circulating on facebook with many locals furious with what took place. No respect for nature or their own country. Savages.

U

Uzin

Well, if they come to the bay with frequency it will be the end of it for me, and probably last nail in the coffin for Sosua. Who is going to swim or snorkel in shark infested waters.... ! What else that town has to offer... ?

I just hope this was dragged in by force and sure hope it ended up on someone's table. I wish I live to see the headline "Sharks are now extinct"...

If they let it be they will be soon, but some obsessed activist like protect these nasty creatures, a bit like glorifying serial-killers or vampires, come on, support the dolphins, they don't attack humans...!

Yeah, you got it, I hate them.

T

Tom0910

The shark in the videos is a harmless blue shark. No need to do what they did,idiots.

C

ctrob

He was just looking for a meal. He'd heard the ancestral stories about fresh meat at Playa Alicia.....

W

william webster

Already---- one post

Shark Infested Waters

The Mayor of Sosua is cringing

T

tee

Well, if they come to the bay with frequency it will be the end of it for me, and probably last nail in the coffin for Sosua. Who is going to swim or snorkel in shark infested waters.... ! What else that town has to offer... ?

I just hope this was dragged in by force and sure hope it ended up on someone's table. I wish I live to see the headline "Sharks are now extinct"...

If they let it be they will be soon, but some obsessed activist like protect these nasty creatures, a bit like glorifying serial-killers or vampires, come on, support the dolphins, they don't attack humans...!

Shark infested waters??? The first shark seen in Sosua and now we have shark infested waters? Come on....for your info, there have been 4 shark attacks in the Dominican Republic since 1963, 2 of them fatal and at least 3 of the 4 on the south coast. This is a welcome sight to Sosua....if the poor thing survives because of these a55holes! They should be arrested, jailed, fined or at the very least forced to do community service on the beach and be educated on marine life.
http://www.sharkattackdata.com/place/dominican_republic

P

Peterj

You must have had the same education as those dumbasses that took it out of the water: NONE!

U

Uzin

One shark sighting too many if you ask me, read my post, I said if they come frequently, then yes, we have shark infested bay, that's the image you get... I hope they are killed on the spot or scared away so don't come anywhere near the place.

With any luck they got rid of that one, humanly of course, and without getting injured themselves (!), and made a good meal out of it, one less shark, still too many out there...

Go find something else to glamorize and obsess over, I always find it a bit weird people fascinated by a dangerous animal that can bite their leg off in a flash, these are the ones of course never go anywhere near water, like we campaign to have lions let loose on the streets... ! what has education got anything to do with it, it's instinct. It's bit sick if you ask me, I am sure a few shrink sessions can find the cause of it...lol

I love animals, dolphins, horses, turtles, so many more, beautiful and friendly creatures, sharks, no way you can convince me they are any good. "Ah, but they don't really attack you, only when they are hungry (or p***ed off!), and they don't really like humans", yeah, just bite us for a snack, right...

And all the stats about un-provoked attacks (not the other ones, considered provoked attacks I guess, if you as much as look at the thing then you provoked it... lol). And no mention of those causing horrendous injuries, like if you are not dead proper it doesn't really matter without leg or arm or a big part of your flesh missing... give me a break, must be kind of brainwashed to think sharks are any good...

Thankfully DR is not too bad, I hope it stays that way, poor Ausies and South Africans, how they still go in their waters I have no idea... And imagine how many more people, who are scared now, would use the oceans if these nasties weren't around, one extinction we really need, damn things are being protected like hell unfortunately...

Okay, I had my rant for today...

T

tee

One shark sighting too many if you ask me, read my post, I said if they come frequently, then yes, we have shark infested bay, that's the image you get... I hope they are killed on the spot or scared away so don't come anywhere near the place.

With any luck they got rid of that one, humanly of course, and without getting injured themselves (!), and made a good meal out of it, one less shark, still too many out there...

Go find something else to glamorize and obsess over, I always find it a bit weird people fascinated by a dangerous animal that can bite their leg off in a flash, these are the ones of course never go anywhere near water, like we campaign to have lions let loose on the streets... ! what has education got anything to do with it, it's instinct. It's bit sick if you ask me, I am sure a few shrink sessions can find the cause of it...lol

I love animals, dolphins, horses, turtles, so many more, beautiful and friendly creatures, sharks, no way you can convince me they are any good. "Ah, but they don't really attack you, only when they are hungry (or p***ed off!), and they don't really like humans", yeah, just bite us for a snack, right...

And all the stats about un-provoked attacks (not the other ones, considered provoked attacks I guess, if you as much as look at the thing then you provoked it... lol). And no mention of those causing horrendous injuries, like if you are not dead proper it doesn't really matter without leg or arm or a big part of your flesh missing... give me a break, must be kind of brainwashed to think sharks are any good...

Thankfully DR is not too bad, I hope it stays that way, poor Ausies and South Africans, how they still go in their waters I have no idea... And imagine how many more people, who are scared now, would use the oceans if these nasties weren't around, one extinction we really need, damn things are being protected like hell unfortunately...

No offence to you Uzin, but with a vehicle death rate of 41.7 people per 100,000 per year and with a population of nearly 11 million people in comparison to 4 shark attacks in the entire country since 1963, you probably should not even step outside of your house let alone going to Sosua beach....or if you make it to Sosua beach, stay there, the odds on your survival are considerably higher!!!

P

Peterj

Albert Einstein (maybe you heard of him...) once said:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

I'll leave it at that.

A

Auryn

Most likely this is pointless...but here I go:

Anyone with basic knowledge of an eco-system knows that when you remove an apex predator, it's a bad thing. Simplified: Kill all the wolves, and the deer population gets diseased. Go into the woods- there are bears, it's their territory. Be smart, be careful, and your chances of problems are low.

There are sharks swimming around us all the time-we just don't see them. And statistically you have a better chance of being struck by lightning or attacked by a cow than a shark.

There have been 4 documented shark attacks in the Dominican Republic - two in the 60s, one in Boca Chica (contested because the victim may have been thrown in the water already dead), and one in Punta Cana (also contested).The International Shark Attack file doesn't even list the latter, because the bite wasn't even from a shark.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/maps/na/bahamas-antilles/

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/gsaf/place/dominican_republic

D

drstock

I have spotted many sharks in Sosua. Mainly on Calle Pedro Clisante!

Status
Not open for further replies.