Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default IT Remote Working in DR

    My current job is in IT and my company is going to make me 100% remote.

    I am considering living (at least several months per year) in DR, but I need fast/reliable internet access to do my job. What is the best are to live in and what is the best service to use for this?

    Are the co-working places good for this or are the residential services sufficient?

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by le7337 View Post
    My current job is in IT and my company is going to make me 100% remote.

    I am considering living (at least several months per year) in DR, but I need fast/reliable internet access to do my job. What is the best are to live in and what is the best service to use for this?

    Are the co-working places good for this or are the residential services sufficient?
    With residential you will be fine, fastest speed are in areas with fiber optic, but I will segest you to have a backup service just in case service went down with one of your prividers, that can happend.

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    With residential you will be fine, fastest speed are in areas with fiber optic, but I will segest you to have a backup service just in case service went down with one of your prividers, that can happend.
    would be reluctant to recommend (altice(orange,tricom)) as here lately they have been going up and down like a yoyo here in at least ciudad nueva SD. down for 10min up for 20 then repeat.
    also at times very slow to losing messages over whatsapp and messenger.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My wife and I both work online and live in Sosua. We have Delancer fiber (20mbps down) as our main internet and then an Altice hub (5mbps down) which works off the cell lines. Delancer goes down for about 10 minutes every day. Currently, our Delancer line has been down since 2:30pm yesterday and told that the fiber line needs to be replaced in some area. Without question you need a backup if you want to work online. It has saved us many times so far.

  5. Likes Uzin liked this post
  6. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    With residential you will be fine, fastest speed are in areas with fiber optic...
    If only this were true. I work remotely for US company here in Santiago.
    Claro techs been coming over here at least once every two months for the last 3
    years. On a first name basis with a few of them, nice guys, always a good laugh
    over a couple of ice cold Presidentes.

  7. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    If only this were true. I work remotely for US company here in Santiago.
    Claro techs been coming over here at least once every two months for the last 3
    years. On a first name basis with a few of them, nice guys, always a good laugh
    over a couple of ice cold Presidentes.
    Well it certainly is true in the Sosua area. In more than 3 1/2 years with Claro fibre - virtually NO outages ( hurricanes excepted). I work online - and we have laptops, tablets, smartphones and VOIP phones.

    40MB/5MB.

    But backup is always a good thing.

  8. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astucia View Post
    Well it certainly is true in the Sosua area. In more than 3 1/2 years with Claro fibre - virtually NO outages ( hurricanes excepted). I work online - and we have laptops, tablets, smartphones and VOIP phones.

    40MB/5MB.

    But backup is always a good thing.

    I am so jealous. I cannot get CLARO to install Fiber Optic in my residence, even though there is a line that runs directly in front of my house.

    There is even a "registro" on the post.

    I suspect I will see it this year. For the time being, the installers are working in middle class residencial areas where they get the biggest bang for their buck from the money.

  9. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I am so jealous. I cannot get CLARO to install Fiber Optic in my residence, even though there is a line that runs directly in front of my house.

    There is even a "registro" on the post.

    I suspect I will see it this year. For the time being, the installers are working in middle class residencial areas where they get the biggest bang for their buck from the money.
    If Im not wrong in buildings the ingenier contract specific company to wire it inside, so where is wired by Altice Claro can not install fiber optic and so on.

  10. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    If Im not wrong in buildings the ingenier contract specific company to wire it inside, so where is wired by Altice Claro can not install fiber optic and so on.
    That's correct, but the service has to be solicited from Claro.

    I contact Claro, they tell me it's not available in my area.

    I can't get any further any further than that.

  11. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    That's correct, but the service has to be solicited from Claro.

    I contact Claro, they tell me it's not available in my area.

    I can't get any further any further than that.
    If you are renting, maybe you could ask wich areas is avilable de fiber optic and maybe worth to move there.

  12. Likes Squat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •