IT Remote Working in DR

L

le7337

My current job is in IT and my company is going to make me 100% remote.

I am considering living (at least several months per year) in DR, but I need fast/reliable internet access to do my job. What is the best are to live in and what is the best service to use for this?

Are the co-working places good for this or are the residential services sufficient?

R

Riva_31

My current job is in IT and my company is going to make me 100% remote.

I am considering living (at least several months per year) in DR, but I need fast/reliable internet access to do my job. What is the best are to live in and what is the best service to use for this?

Are the co-working places good for this or are the residential services sufficient?

With residential you will be fine, fastest speed are in areas with fiber optic, but I will segest you to have a backup service just in case service went down with one of your prividers, that can happend.

B

bienamor

With residential you will be fine, fastest speed are in areas with fiber optic, but I will segest you to have a backup service just in case service went down with one of your prividers, that can happend.

would be reluctant to recommend (altice(orange,tricom)) as here lately they have been going up and down like a yoyo here in at least ciudad nueva SD. down for 10min up for 20 then repeat.
also at times very slow to losing messages over whatsapp and messenger.

S

Seamonkey

My wife and I both work online and live in Sosua. We have Delancer fiber (20mbps down) as our main internet and then an Altice hub (5mbps down) which works off the cell lines. Delancer goes down for about 10 minutes every day. Currently, our Delancer line has been down since 2:30pm yesterday and told that the fiber line needs to be replaced in some area. Without question you need a backup if you want to work online. It has saved us many times so far.

C

CristoRey

With residential you will be fine, fastest speed are in areas with fiber optic...

If only this were true. I work remotely for US company here in Santiago.
Claro techs been coming over here at least once every two months for the last 3
years. On a first name basis with a few of them, nice guys, always a good laugh
over a couple of ice cold Presidentes.

A

Astucia

If only this were true. I work remotely for US company here in Santiago.
Claro techs been coming over here at least once every two months for the last 3
years. On a first name basis with a few of them, nice guys, always a good laugh
over a couple of ice cold Presidentes.

Well it certainly is true in the Sosua area. In more than 3 1/2 years with Claro fibre - virtually NO outages ( hurricanes excepted). I work online - and we have laptops, tablets, smartphones and VOIP phones.

40MB/5MB.

But backup is always a good thing.

J

JDJones

Well it certainly is true in the Sosua area. In more than 3 1/2 years with Claro fibre - virtually NO outages ( hurricanes excepted). I work online - and we have laptops, tablets, smartphones and VOIP phones.

40MB/5MB.

But backup is always a good thing.

I am so jealous. I cannot get CLARO to install Fiber Optic in my residence, even though there is a line that runs directly in front of my house.

There is even a "registro" on the post.

I suspect I will see it this year. For the time being, the installers are working in middle class residencial areas where they get the biggest bang for their buck from the money.

R

Riva_31

I am so jealous. I cannot get CLARO to install Fiber Optic in my residence, even though there is a line that runs directly in front of my house.

There is even a "registro" on the post.

I suspect I will see it this year. For the time being, the installers are working in middle class residencial areas where they get the biggest bang for their buck from the money.

If Im not wrong in buildings the ingenier contract specific company to wire it inside, so where is wired by Altice Claro can not install fiber optic and so on.

J

JDJones

If Im not wrong in buildings the ingenier contract specific company to wire it inside, so where is wired by Altice Claro can not install fiber optic and so on.

That's correct, but the service has to be solicited from Claro.

I contact Claro, they tell me it's not available in my area.

I can't get any further any further than that.

R

Riva_31

That's correct, but the service has to be solicited from Claro.

I contact Claro, they tell me it's not available in my area.

I can't get any further any further than that.

If you are renting, maybe you could ask wich areas is avilable de fiber optic and maybe worth to move there.

S

Squat

Rent in a quiet area where Claro fiber optic is available, and have your Claro phone as a 4G backup. You can also have a prepaid Altice 4G modem as a backup.

R

Riva_31

Rent in a quiet area where Claro fiber optic is available, and have your Claro phone as a 4G backup. You can also have a prepaid Altice 4G modem as a backup.
Altice is having a lot problems, after the merger with Tricom they sucks, I would consider try with VIVA if you have good Coverage in your home area, their MIFI works very good.

C

Celt202

Claro just installed fiber optic for me in Santo Domingo 2 weeks ago. Ookla sped test just now: 44.59 Mbps Download, 5.67 Mbps upload.

U

Uzin

Apart from good internet connection, you also might want to think about a good VPN, not sure what kind of business you are in but sometime you need to be virtually pretend to be in the home country. Unless you remote to another computer or server in home country, which then probably does not need it.

Also think about power cuts, they are quite frequent here, your place of work need to have backup battery or generator, or you will be at the mercy of your phone/laptop battery that don't last very long.

Let me see, what else, of course good security, expensive equipment could find legs here suddenly and disappear, and you will have a hard time replacing them in a hurry in DR with exactly what you want.

J

JDJones

If you are renting, maybe you could ask wich areas is avilable de fiber optic and maybe worth to move there.

Thought of that, but the location i'm living in now is one of the best I've found price wise. I won't be moving soon.

I'd rather switch to a different provider, perhaps one of the satellite guys

R

Riva_31

Thought of that, but the location i'm living in now is one of the best I've found price wise. I won't be moving soon.

I'd rather switch to a different provider, perhaps one of the satellite guys

Satelital Internet service is very very very expensive

B

bob saunders

There's much cheaper systems out there than that, big guy.

Using a lot smaller dish than 2.4 meters of course.

I agree but none of them are cheap. What does the broadband width ratio mean?