starbucks coming to DR

B

bigbird

Knaw just bankruptcy...can’t see a Dominican paying 6 bucks for cup of coffee.. :)

In Santo Domingo there are plenty of Dominicans who would pay 6 bucks for a cup and coffee and not even think twice about it. Starbucks will just be another place to be seen in SD.

A

AlterEgo

In Santo Domingo there are plenty of Dominicans who would pay 6 bucks for a cup and coffee and not even think twice about it. Starbucks will just be another place to be seen in SD.

And don't forget the free wifi.

W

windeguy

Horrible coffee. Hate Starbucks coffee.

I imagine they will be a big success here.

L

lifeisgreat

I still say it will fail one cup of coffee + 4 pounds of sugar per cup ;) they will have to charge 10 bucks here haha! Now if we could get one in North Coast... that way I can pull out my dusty old laptop and impress people with sheer size of it ;)

F

frank12

I could see it working for a variety of reasons.

1. Air conditioned. Although, it's more likely to be placed inside a mall anyway.

2. Free Wifi...usually lightning fast.

3. Frappuccinos are a huge hit in hot climates. Hell, they're even a huge hit in Norway in the summers....and it only gets up to 75f on a hot day!

4. Consistency, consistency, consistency.

5. Location, location, location.

6. Good consistent product.

7. Extremely well-informed marketing & research teams.

Having said this, they have failed before, They had issues in Russia and some other countries, but that was mostly for political reasons--bribery, graft, etc.

My friend Jeremy L (comes down to Cabarete every year for Kite surfing) should know something about it. Jeremy's in charge of the entire North American Sales team (14,000 stores and a team of ten people--with sub-sets of teams underneath them). I would think he would know something. I'll ask him.

C

CristoRey

Although I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks
or the Dominicans who like to be "seen" in certain places,
I would have to agree.

D

dv8

i think they will do fine. SD is full of hijos de mami y papi who have nothing better to do than waste the money their parents work hard for. i would never buy a regular coffee there, being a chap ass but a fancy frap every now and then can be a nice treat.

how long the hype can last for is anybody's guess. i do not go to SD often enough but last few trips krispy kremes - once so popular - was empty. yet they stay open. maybe i missed the rush hours.

in any case, good luck.

W

Wishing you well

This right here -- best way to describe Dominican self made, self indulgence, I am important. Stupid morons!

J

JDJones

One of the partners and I believe the driving force behind Green Star Partners is Caribbean Cinemas.

I think it's safe to say they know what they're doing here in the local market.

I got a kick out of the sugar comment. Starbucks will probably be shocked by how much sugar they go through.

Folks here love their sugar, that's for sure.

C

chico bill

I'm still saying prayers for a McDonalds and Krispy Kreme on the North Coast - Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete

J

JDJones

I'm still saying prayers for a McDonalds and Krispy Kreme on the North Coast - Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete

Krispy Kreme wil be a tough sell.

They have stores all over SD (which is why DV8 didn't encounter a crowd) but they are all supplied by the main store on Churchill.

I can't imagine them sending a truck up north every day. Maybe when drones are more popular. lol

C

ctrob

That would be ok. But it always amazes me to not be able to buy an Iced Coffee in a Dom McDonalds, and it's 96 degrees outside. But oh well. I make my own.

Macs Iced Coffee is far superior to that starbucks crap they sell. Where on earth do they get that consistent horrible taste?
Do they use discarded socks from homeless people to filter the coffee grounds?

J

JDJones

Some of the best coffee I've ever had was the Monte Alto special stuff I used to get from my good friend in Jarabacoa (I can't believe I don't remember the name of that coffee!)

I've been buying Cafe Caracolillo by Cafe Santo Domingo the last few months. Good enough for me.

Does anyone here realize how many brands of coffee Induban (Cafe Santo Domingo) produces? Eight different brands!

A

AlterEgo

Some of the best coffee I've ever had was the Monte Alto special stuff I used to get from my good friend in Jarabacoa (I can't believe I don't remember the name of that coffee!)

I've been buying Cafe Caracolillo by Cafe Santo Domingo the last few months. Good enough for me.

Does anyone here realize how many brands of coffee Induban (Cafe Santo Domingo) produces? Eight different brands!

You mean the Olivo coffee that CB used to have? CCCCCCCCC was also a big fan. I think we ordered 50 pounds of beans the last time he had it, before the rust epidemic.

There’s a private label out of Santiago that we’ve been ordering from the past couple of years. I think minimum order is 20 pounds, they have both beans and ground. I have the salesman’s cell number if anyone wants it. Good coffee.

J

JDJones

You mean the Olivo coffee that CB used to have? CCCCCCCCC was also a big fan. I think we ordered 50 pounds of beans the last time he had it, before the rust epidemic.

Yep. That's the one. That was some good stuff. Monte Alto is very good as well.

Has anyone here tried Induban gormet?