Buying Organic Food In The Dominican Republic

D

djdaveq

HI Everyone. Im new here. This is my first post. I spend a lot time up in las terrenas in samana on the north coast. I think the food here is backing me up if you know what i mean. It seems this is common problem here. Perhaps its pesticides im not sure. Any input on that? Anyway im looking for an organic food store. I get the feeling there is none in samama but am willing to travel to santo domingo if needed. Even if the food is imported USDA Organic products thats fine too. Local would be nice IF it can be trusted. Anyway im looking for the typical staples in the common diet. Does PriceSmart sell any USDA Organic Items?

im looking for ORGANIC:

eggs
milk
cheese
pasta
rice
beans
vegetables of all kinds
salad veggies of all kinds
meat, chicken, beef, fish
any any other specialty products for fun too

in the states one would go to a health food store and they would have all you need. I realize here I may have to hit up a few places to get a rounded diet. Any info, stores names numbers, websites would be helpfull. Thank you.

F

Fulano2

HI Everyone. Im new here. This is my first post. I spend a lot time up in las terrenas in samana on the north coast. I think the food here is backing me up if you know what i mean. It seems this is common problem here. Perhaps its pesticides im not sure. Any input on that? Anyway im looking for an organic food store. I get the feeling there is none in samama but am willing to travel to santo domingo if needed. Even if the food is imported USDA Organic products thats fine too. Local would be nice IF it can be trusted. Anyway im looking for the typical staples in the common diet. Does PriceSmart sell any USDA Organic Items?

im looking for ORGANIC:

eggs
milk
cheese
pasta
rice
beans
vegetables of all kinds

in the states one would go to a health food store and they would have all you need. I realize here I may have to hit up a few places to get a rounded diet. Any info, stores names numbers, websites would be helpfull. Thank you.

It's all organic in DR I just heard.

M

monfongo

It's not all organic in the DR, my friend is a Canadian farmer and he says that they use chemicals here they could never use in Canada. And that goes for the cattle as well.

F

Fulano2

Ok, that's why I always had gripe every time I got back in Europe for a couple of weeks.

T

TropicalPaul

I have a lot of problems with my stomach but generally it is far better in Dom Rep because the food is generally far more organic and has far less chemicals than in Europe (and I assume in the U.S). I would say that if you are having stomach problems here, it's probably caused by a) the change in water, b) flying to get here and back and c) the change in temperature. Food does go off much quicker in this heat and you will find that it takes a while for your stomach to build up the enzymes it needs to deal with the changes in bacteria content. My doctor explained that humans have the same stomachs as rats and dogs and given time your body will automatically build up the enzymes it needs to cope.

One important lesson moving here is that you will find it hard to buy things that you can buy easily in the U.S. Shopping is way harder here generally, lots of things are out of stock, nobody cares if they are, service levels are never very good. The reason I prefer living in Santo Domingo is that you can live a more "normal" life here in terms of lifestyle, there is a good choice of supermarkets and shops and entertainment. If you are going to live in Las Terrenas, you need to adapt your lifestyle - you probably won't find USDA organic food easily and buying a lot of other stuff like electronics, appliances or furniture will be tough. In Santo Domingo I'm pretty sure that you will find a good range of organic food in Carrefour and also in Supermercado Nacional. I'd start with Carrefour, the big one on the Autopista Duarte I think has a whole organic aisle.

W

william webster

Agreed Tropical Paul

I feel we eat better here - generally - than in the USA or Canada

Fresher food... we grow as much as we can.... and less tampering w/ the food overall.

L

lifeisgreat

What about all the pesticide they spray on fruit and vegetables... the bugs are bad here and sort of have to....the farmers store I was in , sold every sort of poison to chemical stuff you could never buy home... I have to spray my mangoe tree with soap and water eucalyptus oil monthly :(

W

william webster

Soak all the veggies in Cloro....
What fruit skins do you eat ?

All standard RD procedure...

Salad dressing high in vinegar content....

Trumped up stuff.... IMO

I

irsav

im looking for ORGANIC:

eggs
milk
cheese
pasta
rice
beans
vegetables of all kinds

Not possible here. To me the horrible Dominican food is the major reason against living here full time. Without paradises of healthy eating like Whole Foods and Costco.
USDA ORGANIC - FOREVER!!

L

lifeisgreat

Soak all the veggies in Cloro....
What fruit skins do you eat ?

All standard RD procedure...

Salad dressing high in vinegar content....

Trumped up stuff.... IMO
I’m more concerned on the inside, chemicals long band in North America are here and used freely For pretty fruit and veggies, who the Heck knows what hurts us anymore and now I’m to old to worry about it :) I like pretty looking melons and cantaloupes also.

W

william webster

hahaha

you can always a good melon or cantaloupe by gently squeezing them

T

texan

Agreed Tropical Paul

I feel we eat better here - generally - than in the USA or Canada

Fresher food... we grow as much as we can.... and less tampering w/ the food overall.

If you have the time and space I think growing your own food is the best. What are the easier things for you to grow ?

F

Fulano2

Aguacate! We have four trees which give us huge ones. One measured even more than 30 cm.
Yuca. Guandules. All very easy to grow.

R

RDKNIGHT

Fruits and Vegs are loaded with Chemicals and Hmo"s.... this is the land of monsanto .... they can;t regulated traffic here so you cant forget about regulating the chemicals the farmers use....

W

william webster

Texan
we have grown most things....
Lettuce, tomatoes, chard, various herbs

Best results come from local (RD) seeds....

everything grows here - just how much work you want to do

B

bob saunders

Fruits and Vegs are loaded with Chemicals and Hmo"s.... this is the land of monsanto .... they can;t regulated traffic here so you cant forget about regulating the chemicals the farmers use....

There are also organic farms certified organic by the european association which has very stringent guidelines to be accepted. Lots of campo farmers also cant afford pesticides or fertilizers.