Constipation in DR

D

djdaveq

Ive met many people here who have a "problem going to the bathroom" is constipation a common problem in DR? if so does anyone know why? before you say white rice. i been here sometime and i dont eat the "typical food" but i clearly eat food produced here and brought in the super markets i seem to be falling into the same situation and im not sure why. i eat fruit, veggies, salads, meat, fish, no rice, no pasta, no sugar, no street meat or food, not fried unless at home in olive oil. I am speculating here : i feel like all the so called fresh fruits and veggies are produced with pesticides of the worst kind. maybe some not even legal in the US. I seen them spraying all lands here to kill weeds so they can grow whatever. could that be it?

does anyone know what is the typical chemical they are spraying when you see the guys walk and spray with the container on thier back?

does anyone have any in sight into this issue? my girlfriend is the same. thanks.:eek:gre::eek:gre:

D

Derfish

I don't know. I lived in Mississippi and had serious problems with constipation. I finally asked the doctor if I could come into his office every 4 or 5 days for an enema and he gave me a strong magnesium tablet to take daily to move stuff along. After two heart attacks and two mini strokes I take 15 pills every day. I assume there is something in one or more that causes the base problem, but no doctor will admit it.
Der Fish

B

BermudaRum

The cheapest and without any side effects to cure all ailments in DR, Presidente Light, I know some prefer normal, but Light always takes good care of the blockage for me.

W

william webster

or tap water.....or any swift flowing river

just a shot a day.............

C

chico bill

I was in the Marshall Islands and became constipated and went to the clinic for an enema.

But the local medical practitioner said "Here we don't do traditional enemas, we use local special palm fronds".

I said "Really and why don't you administer enemas".

He replied "With fronds like these we don't need enemas".....Ba Da Bing

W

william webster

hahaha....

Constipation-..... a rare disorder in the tropics.....IMO

H

hard times doug

My system is like clockwork in New York but like you down here is a different story. I bring with me Fiber pills sold OTC and it has solved the problem.

C

Celt202

Add salvado de avena (oat bran) to everything you can.

I've been doing that for years and the trains run on time. It's like what they used to say in Italy about Mussolini.

F

Fulano2

Tapa azul. Ask the local colmado.

Or go to Pizzahut, or MacDonalds.

If that doesnt work Chimi Churry.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Occasional constipation is usually dietary in nature. Not enough fiber over the course of several days. Stress/anxiety such as when you travel or are particularly worried about something can upset regular schedules. Some medications can result in constipation.

If this occurs regularly, then the cause needs to be determined and resolved. For occasional constipation a laxative or a good stool softener is an effective short term work around.

Store these in a refrigerator as the heat here can turn them to goo. Relief in an hour...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P79KRA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T

TropicalPaul

It's the heat almost certainly. Your body needs a lot more water in this heat and almost nobody is drinking enough. So you are dehydrated and all the stuff in your stomach is drier. Your stomach is basically like a big tube of toothpaste and the food is pushed through from one end to the other like squeezing the toothpaste out. When the toothpaste gets dry it's harder to move through the tube.

Your pee should never be darker than the colour of Sauvignon Blanc and if you're drinking enough water should mainly be colourless. Try increasing your water intake and you should find the stomach sorts itself out.

C

cobraboy

It's the heat almost certainly. Your body needs a lot more water in this heat and almost nobody is drinking enough.
^^^THIS^^^

Most tourists in the tropics are partially dehydrated and don't even know it. Intestines require water to operate properly, and without enough, well, s#!t doesn't happen.

We preach hydration, hydration, hydration on our tours. Between sun and blasting down the roads in the wind, the moisture really gets sucked out of you.

Part of acclimating to the tropics is upping your water intake, especially if you are from a cooler, less sunny climate. Sports drinks, NOT energy drinks, also work.

Caffeine, alcohol and energy drinks are the enemies in the hydration wars.

B

Big

I'm pretty sure digestive issues are the same in Pennsauken New Jersey as they are in Ria San Juan.
Thank you for the Sauvignon Blanc visual. I'm glad I am a Cabernet Sauvignon guy

J

JDFriend

Brugal Anejo. Dos cuba libre after dinner and all good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

C

cobraboy

I'm pretty sure digestive issues are the same in Pennsauken New Jersey as they are in Ria San Juan.
Thank you for the Sauvignon Blanc visual. I'm glad I am a Cabernet Sauvignon guy
There are bugs in the DR that aren't in NJ. It took me over a year for my system to adjust.