Helicopter crash in POP

C

cobraboy

The helicopter is owned by the Medrano family in La Vega, who own TV and radio stations.

That had just bought the used bird, and this was their first flight.

So sad.

A

AlterEgo

Apparently, the pilot, Cuervo, survived and was flown to the military hospital at San Isidro in Santo Domingo.

C

CristoRey

C

cobraboy

Even the best maintained, new helicopters require constant maintenance, lest they shake themselves apart. But a used helicopter in the DR? I would never fly in one. Ever.

J

JasonD

Even the best maintained, new helicopters require constant maintenance, lest they shake themselves apart. But a used helicopter in the DR? I would never fly in one. Ever.

All choppers own by the FA are used.

I take they shoulnd't have bought them and discard them right away?

C

cobraboy

All choppers own by the FA are used.

I take they shoulnd't have bought them and discard them right away?
Having been in the aircraft maintenance bidniz for a number of years, I'll stick to my observations.

Others may fly in them, I will not. Especially if Dominicans maintained them.

This was not the first helicopter crash in the DR.

Human-rendered metal falls from the sky for three reasons: they break, they run out of go juice, or the pilot screws up. The pilot controls two of those.

I stopped flying my plane to the DR because of lack of trust in local mechanics. I know a seriously qualified tech on the north coast I'd trust, but the plane was sold years ago.

A

AlterEgo

Having been in the aircraft maintenance bidniz for a number of years, I'll stick to my observations.

Others may fly in them, I will not. Especially if Dominicans maintained them.

This was not the first helicopter crash in the DR.

Human-rendered metal falls from the sky for three reasons: they break, they run out of go juice, or the pilot screws up. The pilot controls two of those.

I stopped flying my plane to the DR because of lack of trust in local mechanics. I know a seriously qualified tech on the north coast I'd trust, but the plane was sold years ago.

One of the articles I read said that before the crash the pilot [who was also in the military] radioed into Air Traffic Control that his engine was burning/chemando. Not sure if it was smoking or on fire/flaming. First flight for new owners, or so I heard, you'd think a new owner would have it totally tuned up after purchase.

If the pilot is who I think he is, his father was also a military pilot, and a pilot for Dominicana Airlines back in the day.

B

bienamor

Kind of wondering how many of the UH-1 Huey's they have in country and how old they are? they first arrived in Vietnam in 1963 began manufacture in the 1950's. Wonder what they were flying that crashed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_UH-1_Iroquois

they are still used today by private contractors in Afghanistan

D

Derfish

Yes, I heard a copter that day. For a moment I thought I was back in Cartegena Colombia where I stayed at one corner of the airport. The corner where the copters arrove.