Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DR VISAs for US travel.

Does anyone know why it is so hard for citizens from the DR to get travel VISAs to the US? Is this due to restrictions of the DR government, or the US? When did these changes occur? Or has it always been like this?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

USA makes the determination. So many are denied because so many Dominicans came/come on tourist visas and never leave. Makes it much more difficult to get the visa.

Administrator
    DR1.com

3. Likes PR Loves DR liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PR Loves DR View Post
    Does anyone know why it is so hard for citizens from the DR to get travel VISAs to the US? Is this due to restrictions of the DR government, or the US? When did these changes occur? Or has it always been like this?
    It isn't really much different than for people from Colombia or Panama or Central America in general. So many have arriven in the USA on a tourist permit and then plan to stay. And Yes it has always been this way, if you are extending always to the last 50 years and not the last 500 years.

5. Likes PR Loves DR liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    USA makes the determination. So many are denied because so many Dominicans came/come on tourist visas and never leave. Makes it much more difficult to get the visa.
    I will admit that I'm not the world traveler that I plan on being, yet. But I was amazed to see how hard it was for a DR citizen to visit the US. Unlike me traveling from the US to the DR, where, I only had to show my passport for entry to the country.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I will admit that I'm not the world traveler that I plan on being, yet. But I was amazed to see how hard it was for a DR citizen to visit the US. Unlike me traveling from the US to the DR, where, I only had to show my passport for entry to the country.
    Within a very finite perion of time you will probably have any number of persons assure you that all you have to do to get them a visa is to write a letter and they will be able to go to the USA. But it don't work. They all have a friend or two or more who have done it, but of the dozen or more such invitation letters I have written none of them have ever worked at all. Colombia, Panama, Peru, Mexico, none of them!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, people will get off of the plane in the US and they don't go back. If a DR citizen has a good job, owns their home has money, more likely to get a tourist visa to US (not viewed as much of a risk to stay).

9. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    Yeah, people will get off of the plane in the US and they don't go back. If a DR citizen has a good job, owns their home has money, more likely to get a tourist visa to US (not viewed as much of a risk to stay).
    As I posted in my introductory post I have only visited the DR once and only experienced life in an AI. Are the living conditions so bad for citizens of the DR that they would just abandon their family and roots like that? Or are the hopes that they will be able to one day relocate their entire family to the US?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Within a very finite perion of time you will probably have any number of persons assure you that all you have to do to get them a visa is to write a letter and they will be able to go to the USA. But it don't work. They all have a friend or two or more who have done it, but of the dozen or more such invitation letters I have written none of them have ever worked at all. Colombia, Panama, Peru, Mexico, none of them!
    How can they not understand that this is not how it works? Are their laws that convoluted, or do the people fail to properly educate themselves about the actual laws?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As I posted in my introductory post I have only visited the DR once and only experienced life in an AI. Are the living conditions so bad for citizens of the DR that they would just abandon their family and roots like that? Or are the hopes that they will be able to one day relocate their entire family to the US?
    For a decent % of DR citizens yeah many would leave in a NY minute. They can send money back home. Many also get some of their relatives to the US. Living conditions can be very rough as it is in many parts of Caribbean, S. America, C. America.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How can they not understand that this is not how it works? Are their laws that convoluted, or do the people fail to properly educate themselves about the actual laws?
    Hmmmm............. aint' enuf time in the day to start 'splaining that one Lucy. My advice to you, my friend is to pick a subject within this forum, do a search, and start there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast