Under what conditions can police confiscate your motor vehicle?

W

windeguy

F

frank recktenwald

Reckon the conditions don't matter when one is a Gringo. ;)

W

windeguy

I asked the question based upon an alleged recent incident in Cabarete.

W

william webster

here's one reason -- a new one to me !!

Around 4,000 vehicles impounded for rundown tires
The Ground Transport and Transit Safety Agency (Digesett) has announced that it has retained around 4,000 vehicles nationwide for violation of the resolution that establishes minimum tire tread depths.

Digesett spokesman, Hilman Pimentel told Listin Diario newspaper that to date 4,163 vehicles have been ticketed and confiscated by agents as the tires on the vehicles were not in the condition required as laid down in Intrant Resolution 002-2019.

All types of vehicle have been confiscated including heavy goods vehicles, cars, public shared taxis, trucks and SUVs.

Pimentel said that the vehicles were being held in a variety of detention centers and in order for the owners to collect them the owners needed to bring adequate tires and change them within the compounds. Then, once they have paid their fines, the vehicles will be released.

B

bienamor

here's one reason -- a new one to me !!

Around 4,000 vehicles impounded for rundown tires
The Ground Transport and Transit Safety Agency (Digesett) has announced that it has retained around 4,000 vehicles nationwide for violation of the resolution that establishes minimum tire tread depths.

Digesett spokesman, Hilman Pimentel told Listin Diario newspaper that to date 4,163 vehicles have been ticketed and confiscated by agents as the tires on the vehicles were not in the condition required as laid down in Intrant Resolution 002-2019.

All types of vehicle have been confiscated including heavy goods vehicles, cars, public shared taxis, trucks and SUVs.

Pimentel said that the vehicles were being held in a variety of detention centers and in order for the owners to collect them the owners needed to bring adequate tires and change them within the compounds. Then, once they have paid their fines, the vehicles will be released.

in order for the owners to collect them the owners needed to bring adequate tires and change them within the compounds.

now somebody is in line to make a lot of money changing tires at the compounds! Plus the new tire stores just the other side of the entrance to the compounds.

D

Derfish

It is a lot like the 'privacy policy' in a doctor's office in the USA. Your information will not be passed on unless the docotr's office wants to do so. The same with impounding cars. The policfe have to want to do so.
Der Fish

J

james

Does anyone know if they have started this new tires check in Sosua or Cabarete. Someone said they "Thought" so far it was only in the capital and Santiago.

D

Derfish

Does anyone know if they have started this new tires check in Sosua or Cabarete. Someone said they "Thought" so far it was only in the capital and Santiago.

I was told by a neighbor when I got my ticket for not wearing a helmet that the police here in Puerto Plata were stopping cars for bald tires.
Derfish

C

cavok

How about the trucks with no hood, fenders, bumpers, headlights, or turn signls?

B

BermudaRum

How about the trucks with no hood, fenders, bumpers, headlights, or turn signls?

The police would never be able to stop them, especially knowing the breaks are faulty as well:ermm:

T

the gorgon

in order for the owners to collect them the owners needed to bring adequate tires and change them within the compounds.

now somebody is in line to make a lot of money changing tires at the compounds! Plus the new tire stores just the other side of the entrance to the compounds.

owned by somebody who enforces those laws.

L

lifeisgreat

You really can’t argue with them so it really doesn’t matter right or wrong..cop tried to give me ticket for driving an atv without a permit ..a little confused he was between golf cart and ATV...At first I thought it was shake down but really young cop was confused and stubborn...this was literally in front of cop shop...