Is the word gringo offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mofongoloco

I say it is not. It might once have been intended as a slur by Mexicans towards usa people. However, I don't think it was ever received that way. Now I mostly find it used as a form of self identification by gringos ourselves. certainly in DR it isn't an offense. It just means foreigner, not latino. a german gringo. an Italian gringo. I say it isn't offensive unless a qualifier is used, e.g pinche gringo. Many places have businesses named "el gringo oco", etc. Many towns have neighborhoods (usually fancy ones) such as in Puerto Vallarta "gringo gulch". The fanciest part of town.

I think the problem is people think it is the opposite of "wetback". In Spanish when latinos describe their irregular migration they say "I got wet" to indicate crossing without authorization.

So, is gringo offensive?

Second question. Since when did latino become an English word. Meaning it is not italicized. and I still don't know if latinx is pronounced latin x as in malcom x or lateenex as in Kleenex.

Thanks.

B

beeza

It's only offensive to those who choose to be offended. That's their problem.

S

slowmo

If it isn't offensive yet, like most words these days, it is just a matter of time before it will be deemed offensive.

B

bob saunders

Depends on the context of the conversation. It can be meant to be offensive or not. I don't take offense, regardless. I am not nearly as sensitive as most Dominicans.

M

Marianopolita

I say it is not. It might once have been intended as a slur by Mexicans towards usa people. However, I don't think it was ever received that way. Now I mostly find it used as a form of self identification by gringos ourselves. certainly in DR it isn't an offense. It just means foreigner, not latino. a german gringo. an Italian gringo. I say it isn't offensive unless a qualifier is used, e.g pinche gringo. Many places have businesses named "el gringo oco", etc. Many towns have neighborhoods (usually fancy ones) such as in Puerto Vallarta "gringo gulch". The fanciest part of town.

I think the problem is people think it is the opposite of "wetback". In Spanish when latinos describe their irregular migration they say "I got wet" to indicate crossing without authorization.

So, is gringo offensive?

Second question. Since when did latino become an English word. Meaning it is not italicized. and I still don't know if latinx is pronounced latin x as in malcom x or lateenex as in Kleenex.

Thanks.

Regarding gringo in my experience it depends on the context and yes, some people may use it with the intent to offend. While theories vary about the origin, in very broad terms it does refer to a specific group of foreigners (specifically when referring to foreigners in Latin America or from a cultural perspective meaning someone that is not from Latin or Spanish culture). Not all foreigners are referred to as gringo.

https://definicion.de/gringo/

Regarding latino being used in English, I have never considered researching when it became used in the language but it is definitely a borrowed word that is used commonly. I am just one person but I use it in English. If someone asks me about a person’s background I say the person is Latino or Latin. Usage could be more regional for this word as well.

-MP.

M

Marianopolita

Thanks Maria. good link.

No problem. Gringo and the usage can be tricky for foreigners both the meaning and the usage. I find it interesting when some gringos and gringas use it to self-identify and in many cases to pardon their blunders in Spanish which is perfectly fine and in my opinion non offensive.

That link is interesting. I looked at some other words. Awesome definitions. Very thorough and with context.

-MP.

C

cobraboy

F@<k no.

How someone else uses it is not my problem. It is my choice whether to be offended or not.

N

NanSanPedro

I'm not easily offended. Very few things offend me, except for maybe hate and injustice. Using a word is just not a big deal.

D

Derfish

Regarding gringo in my experience it depends on the context and yes, some people may use it with the intent to offend. While theories vary about the origin, in very broad terms it does refer to a specific group of foreigners (specifically when referring to foreigners in Latin America or from a cultural perspective meaning someone that is not from Latin or Spanish culture). Not all foreigners are referred to as gringo.

https://definicion.de/gringo/

Regarding latino being used in English, I have never considered researching when it became used in the language but it is definitely a borrowed word that is used commonly. I am just one person but I use it in English. If someone asks me about a person’s background I say the person is Latino or Latin. Usage could be more regional for this word as well.

-MP.

Several years ago I was in Honduras and identified myself as a Yankee. People were aghast thinking it was a slur, not identifying with the baseball team I used it to describe what I now refer to as gringo. That started when teaching in Guatamala and the kids heard me being refered to as Gringo started calling me Dingo which schlept into DingoElGringo!
Derfish

W

wrecksum

Not at all.
Just a local word for someone who is not a local..

F

Fulano2

I don't like it. The minute they call me, which has happened very few times as I am not rubio, I address them as haitiano or prieto. Then we take off.

M

mofongoloco

Several years ago I was in Honduras and identified myself as a Yankee. People were aghast thinking it was a slur, not identifying with the baseball team I used it to describe what I now refer to as gringo. That started when teaching in Guatamala and the kids heard me being refered to as Gringo started calling me Dingo which schlept into DingoElGringo!
Derfish

my grandmother was descended from the first wave of puritans just after the mayflower. She always said she came from an old Yankee family. At that time I didn't know Yankee meant New Englander. To me they were the people who burnt scarlett ohara's house. I was very confused about that.

C

cobraboy

Heck, I call myself a gringo. I am often described as El Grande Gringo and I'm totally OK with that.

M

Marianopolita

"Gringa morena" here

I think it s cute :cheeky:

This is interesting and I have not heard that yet. Usually, I hear simply la Americana but not so specific. If I had to choose then I would prefer la morenita. No offense or issue at all for me.

-MP.

A

Africaida

This is interesting and I have not heard that yet. Usually, I hear simply la Americana but not so specific. If I had to choose then I would prefer la morenita. No offense or issue at all for me.

-MP.

Possibly because I am not american ? I tend to confuse the hell out of Dominican, I get asked where I am from all the times :tired:

I also get both Morenita or negra (really depends on the context).

Last edited:
M

Marianopolita

Possibly because I am not american ? I tend to confuse the hell out of Dominicans.

I also get both Morenita or negra (really depends on the context).

La verdad es que no sé por qué lo dicen.

To me it is almost in jest meaning una manera jocosa but with no offense or they know you are not a local but also not the typical gringa they see in the DR. In all these contexts, they have no intent to offend which I know you know that.

The non-Spanish speaking foreigner with no sense of cultural nuances may be offended though and I have seen that. Same thing with mi negrito and mi negrita. English speakers don’t understand the meaning.

-MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.