Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What constitutes an employee quitting?

I have a small pizza place which isnt exactly legal. So when I get rid of someone, I just pay the liquidation and move on. However, I have one really irritating employee that I want to get rid of and dont want to pay his liquidation.

He shows up late, cops an attitude, wants overtime (even though some days we close very early) and so on.

So, what constitutes him quitting without quitting. I am guessing just forgetting to show up for work once in awhile isnt sufficient.

Thanks

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

He holds all the cards. You have some real problems. I doubt this will end well.

You are making a good case for why operating a legal business in the DR is critical. Not only will Labor be raking you over the coals, DGII will want a few words and mega-pesos, and the local Chamber of Commerce will be asking for their pound of flesh.

This will all be triggered by the guys first visit to Labor.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You may not want to pay...but it will be cheaper todo so...people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones..

4. Likes DR_Guy liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    You may not want to pay...but it will be cheaper todo so...people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones..
    Paying still will not resolve the situation because there is no legal basis for the payment, because there is no legal basis for the business.

The kid could still drop a dime on DR_Guy and there is nothing he can do about it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the labour law, if he is absent for 3 days or more and doesn't contact you, you can file with your accountant the proper papers to get rid of him. But....since your business is not legal you might be facing severe fines. Get legal.

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the sound advice!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Paying still will not resolve the situation because there is no legal basis for the payment, because there is no legal basis for the business.

The kid could still drop a dime on DR_Guy and there is nothing he can do about it.
    It’s more or less ,don’t rock the boat... you have no oars...

10. Likes DR_Guy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Guy View Post
    I have a small pizza place which isnt exactly legal. So when I get rid of someone, I just pay the liquidation and move on. However, I have one really irritating employee that I want to get rid of and dont want to pay his liquidation.

He shows up late, cops an attitude, wants overtime (even though some days we close very early) and so on.

So, what constitutes him quitting without quitting. I am guessing just forgetting to show up for work once in awhile isnt sufficient.

Thanks

Just pay the guy and move on-get rid of him. I know it's easier for us to say it since we are not in the situation. However, the country is one of renters and corrupter(s)...property owners are dead last...even the supposed entity to investigate criminal matters in effect doesn't exist....LOL.

12. Likes DR_Guy liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Just pay the guy and move on-get rid of him. I know it's easier for us to say it since we are not in the situation. However, the country is one of renters and corrupter(s)...property owners are dead last...even the supposed entity to investigate criminal matters in effect doesn't exist....LOL.
    Disagree.

When a local accuses a foreigner, especially when $$$ is involved, and especially when the local is the perceived victim, there will be serious resources thrown to support the local's complaint.

14. Likes frank recktenwald liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pay it.
    And you ought to go legal. It's a lot easier than you may believe to go legal, and it comes with significant benefits , beginning with health insurance benefits for you. Speak to a good accountant on Monday.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast