Delta Airlines SDQ Snafu

L

Luperon

If you buy your ticket online, be sure you carry the credit card you used to pay for it........ one guy found out the hard way what happens if you don’t. (So, what happens if someone else bought it for you???).

https://almomento.net/informe-turistico-atropello-de-delta-airlines-en-sd/
Our family is well aware of this crazy rule. The card used can be presented at to any Delta agent at any airport before the person/s check in for the flight.

Needless to say they have lost a lot of Dominican business

D

Derfish

I had the problem in San Jose California when my son used his credit card to buy my ticket. Alaska Air wanted to see the credit card, and I had to call my son and he, as a Doctor of Psychiatry, handled it.
Derfish

R

rubio_higuey

Most of tickets issued by airline offices in DR require presenting the credit card. Last Xmas/early January I did around 12 flights on Iberia. Out of those, 2 were bought on Iberia DR. For those I had to present a credit card at check in in Spain. Tickets bought on Iberia USA site did not have this requirement. Mind you, after booking those 2 tickets on Iberia DR I got a clear big red message saying credit card will be required for check in. And you cannot even do online check in if this is the case.

In Barcelona I witnessed a 14 year old with a family member that was denied boarding on Iberia flight to Madrid to continue to SDQ because she did not have the card... it was bought by her family in the DR and she was flying back. She was advised for family member to go to Iberia office to show the card (you can do that, even for more flights that will happen in the future). I felt bad for her because she lost the flight and ticket and in best scenario her family back in DR was hit with a huge change fee and fare difference. Minutes later she showed bank statement showing the charge that was whatsaped to her (it was 5.30 am in Barcelona, Iberia office in SD was long closed) but not even this was accepted. At the end, no she was not allowed to board and missed the flight.

So, better book on airlines' website outside of DR (the airline "localized page").

J

jimmythegreek

Most of tickets issued by airline offices in DR require presenting the credit card. Last Xmas/early January I did around 12 flights on Iberia. Out of those, 2 were bought on Iberia DR. For those I had to present a credit card at check in in Spain. Tickets bought on Iberia USA site did not have this requirement. Mind you, after booking those 2 tickets on Iberia DR I got a clear big red message saying credit card will be required for check in. And you cannot even do online check in if this is the case.

In Barcelona I witnessed a 14 year old with a family member that was denied boarding on Iberia flight to Madrid to continue to SDQ because she did not have the card... it was bought by her family in the DR and she was flying back. She was advised for family member to go to Iberia office to show the card (you can do that, even for more flights that will happen in the future). I felt bad for her because she lost the flight and ticket and in best scenario her family back in DR was hit with a huge change fee and fare difference. Minutes later she showed bank statement showing the charge that was whatsaped to her (it was 5.30 am in Barcelona, Iberia office in SD was long closed) but not even this was accepted. At the end, yes she was not allowed to board and missed the flight.

So, better book on airlines' website outside of DR (the airline "localized page").

You can pay cash for a ticket at Jet Blue office in Santo Domingo.

L

lifeisgreat

Delta has been doing this for over 7 yrs ...especially on DR flights because of fraud..

J

jimmythegreek

People have said it's more expensive to pay that way

Not at all-you pay the same price at the office whether it is cash-credit card-debit card...However, obviously it is more of an inconvenience than just tapping some keys on your keyboard at home to buy the tickets.

L

Luperon

Not at all-you pay the same price at the office whether it is cash-credit card-debit card...However, obviously it is more of an inconvenience than just tapping some keys on your keyboard at home to buy the tickets.
I could be wrong. Maybe the taxes are different paying in person at airport was my point, not method of payment. The source was believable.

J

jimmythegreek

I could be wrong. Maybe the taxes are different paying in person at airport was my point, not method of payment. The source was believable.

Actually, I initially thought the exact same as you-the 18% ITIBIS-etc-etc. However, after pricing out the tickets on the airline's website and then going to the office to compare-exactly the same price. The tax is the same on those tickets-whether you buy online through the airline's website or directly at the local office in SD.

D

Derfish

Actually, I initially thought the exact same as you-the 18% ITIBIS-etc-etc. However, after pricing out the tickets on the airline's website and then going to the office to compare-exactly the same price. The tax is the same on those tickets-whether you buy online through the airline's website or directly at the local office in SD.

But if you go back omline the price willo have gone up $50.00 or so due to cookies!
Derfish

R

Riva_31

That happend when you book your flight with travel dates within 21 days after booking, if you purchase the ticket with travel dates that is more than 21 days you are safe. AA also do the same, Last year I booked a flight for my brother with travel date 3 months after booking as we knew that rule when I went to Delta office they said was not necesary to show the card and I asked why sometimes yes, the girl told me about the 21 days rules. Must be to protect themself to transport a person and later findout was a fraud and had to refund the money.

If you want to skip that then book your flight with Travelocity, Kayak, etc they are 3rd party and the airline receive the money from them and this way dont ask to show the card if you travel date is qithin 21 days after booking.

T

TropicalPaul

It's all to do with fraud and I completely understand why they do it as we have the same problem in the hotel. You can easily buy stolen credit card details on the dark web and people use these to book flights. Pretty much all airlines require you to show the card that you paid with when you check in. If you have changed your credit card - for example the one you paid with has been stolen - then you need to print out the credit card statement which shows the ticket purchase and this is OK. I flew with Iberia last year and luckily I checked with them about this rule before I flew as my card had changed. They told me that they turn several people away every day who don't have the credit card with them that they purchased the ticket with. No refund provided as they say it's a condition of purchase.

T

TropicalPaul

That happend when you book your flight with travel dates within 21 days after booking, if you purchase the ticket with travel dates that is more than 21 days you are safe. AA also do the same, Last year I booked a flight for my brother with travel date 3 months after booking as we knew that rule when I went to Delta office they said was not necesary to show the card and I asked why sometimes yes, the girl told me about the 21 days rules. Must be to protect themself to transport a person and later findout was a fraud and had to refund the money.

If you want to skip that then book your flight with Travelocity, Kayak, etc they are 3rd party and the airline receive the money from them and this way dont ask to show the card if you travel date is qithin 21 days after booking.

I wouldn't rely on this 21 day rule. If someone buys the ticket for you, just get them to send you the page from their statement where the credit card transaction is listed. That definitely works.

T

TropicalPaul

In Barcelona I witnessed a 14 year old with a family member that was denied boarding on Iberia flight to Madrid to continue to SDQ because she did not have the card... it was bought by her family in the DR and she was flying back. She was advised for family member to go to Iberia office to show the card (you can do that, even for more flights that will happen in the future). I felt bad for her because she lost the flight and ticket and in best scenario her family back in DR was hit with a huge change fee and fare difference. Minutes later she showed bank statement showing the charge that was whatsaped to her (it was 5.30 am in Barcelona, Iberia office in SD was long closed) but not even this was accepted. At the end, no she was not allowed to board and missed the flight.

Iberia's policy is definitely to allow you to produce the bank statement with the charge. My neighbour is a pilot with them and he checked for me before. So this was a mistake on their part and hopefully they will have corrected it.

A

AlterEgo

Several years ago, we rented a car in Santo Domingo, at an international/famous company, and left our American Express card as deposit. Within a day, someone in Arizona bought airplane tickets totaling about $1000 with the card. Amex did notify us immediately, but it makes me understand the airline requirement.

R

Riva_31

Several years ago, we rented a car in Santo Domingo, at an international/famous company, and left our American Express card as deposit. Within a day, someone in Arizona bought airplane tickets totaling about $1000 with the card. Amex did notify us immediately, but it makes me understand the airline requirement.

First time happened to me I booked a flight for my cousin in AA within 21 days after booking, and thanks god the flight was in the afternoon and my cousin arrived 3 hrs before so I had time to arrive SDQ to show my card. So better plan on time trips if somebody else will book.

T

Tom0910

I find this very interesting as over the past five years or so I have booked 20+ flights to the DR for my elderly friend and he has never been asked to produce any card or proof of purchase,all flights have been on AA MIA-POP.

L

Luperon

I find this very interesting as over the past five years or so I have booked 20+ flights to the DR for my elderly friend and he has never been asked to produce any card or proof of purchase,all flights have been on AA MIA-POP.
I have only heard this issue with Delta on DR flights

R

Riva_31

Did you book less than 21 days before the flight?