Slang- Boricua & Caribbean

M

Marianopolita

Knowing some slang in Spanish will definitely come in handy especially when visiting a Spanish-speaking country the locals are going to speak the way they normally speak. Also some words are just always referred to in the slang version.

I like this compilation of ‘30 Puerto Rican Slang terms’ that only make sense in the Caribbean’. Some words and expressions are common in several Caribbean countries. Inside the link you will see links to other countries as well. The blogger has not done the DR though. However, Cuba, Venezuela and Colombia may be of interest.

Some words I would not even call slang but rather just more regional vocabulary like nene, nena. You will not hear Puerto Ricans refer to kids as niño or niña. The expression Ay bendito is authentically Puerto Rican. Jumping to Cuba typical examples of authentically Cuban slang are acere, Qué vola acere and un paladar- it is far from the generic meaning. This actually is the word used for a restaurant in Cuba with authentic homemade food. Then una gata, no not a cat but rather a nice looking woman.

Fun stuff!

https://baselang.com/blog/vocabulary/puerto-rican-slang/

-MP.

Last edited:
D

Derfish

Knowing some slang in Spanish will definitely come in handy especially when visiting a Spanish-speaking country the locals are going to speak the way they normally speak. Also some words are just always referred to in the slang version.

I like this compilation of ‘30 Puerto Rican Slang terms’ that only make sense in the Caribbean’. Some words and expressions are common in several Caribbean countries. Inside the link you will see links to other countries as well. The blogger has not done the DR though. However, Cuba, Venezuela and Colombia may be of interest.

Some words I would not even call slang but rather just more regional vocabulary like nene, nena. You will not hear Puerto Ricans refer to kids as niño or niña . The expression Ay bendito is authentically Puerto Rican. Jumping to Cuba typical examples of authentically Cuban slang are acere, Qué vola acere, un paladar- it is far from the generic meaning. This actually is the word used for a restaurant in Cuba with authentic homemade food. Then una gata, no not a cat but rather a nice looking woman.

Fun stuff!

https://baselang.com/blog/vocabulary/puerto-rican-slang/

-MP.

Como se va la película? Es Panamanian for "How is it going?" And when asking for the bill at a restaurant one is likely to say "Y como estamos?" How are we?, w"We are with you owing me $2.50.

D

Derfish

I lived with a lady up un the hill here in Puerto Plata at one time. I bought laarge packages of cookies. There were many kids in the neighborhood. I told them I would give them a cookie if they would say "cookie" Most did with no problem, but one older kid about 11 or so responded back to me "galleta." He got no cookie. Until one day he stepped in the door and sais "OK Cono da me un cookie." So he got his cookie.

M

Marianopolita

Como se va la película? Es Panamanian for "How is it going?" And when asking for the bill at a restaurant one is likely to say "Y como estamos?" How are we?, w"We are with you owing me $2.50.

Panamanian slang and regionalisms are so different from the rest of Caribbean/ costeño Spanish. For example, Cuba, DR and PR have many common words and expressions. Venezuela and Colombia have many similarities and there is Panama. Out of what is considered the six Caribbean basin countries in my opinion Panama’s slang is the most different.

-MP.

M

Marianopolita

I lived with a lady up un the hill here in Puerto Plata at one time. I bought laarge packages of cookies. There were many kids in the neighborhood. I told them I would give them a cookie if they would say "cookie" Most did with no problem, but one older kid about 11 or so responded back to me "galleta." He got no cookie. Until one day he stepped in the door and sais "OK Cono da me un cookie." So he got his cookie.

Interesting- you bet he will never forget how to say cookie. Galleta did not work.

-MP.

M

Marianopolita

I had a chance to go through the additional links provided in the blog and there is a lot of good info on language.

If anyone is around Venezuelans or if you live in Miami, Doral specifically you may want to look at the link. It is so accurate in terms of slang, regionalisms and how Venezuelans speak.

-MP.

M

Marianopolita

Here is a blog I found on Cuban slang. The blogger is a foreigner (Canadian) who lived in Havana for a year and documented what she learned in Spanish while living in Cuba.

I think she did a great job and was honest about her challenges in the language meaning the way people speak, vocabulary, expressions etc. However, from what I can tell it was a priceless experience and she learned many of the colloquialisms and regionalisms. Although you can certainly learn by studying and reading it does not compare to the living experience in country.

There are a few points I would clarify a bit about what she said and one grammar point that I would like to do some research on. I have read reference to something similar before but have yet to hear any Cuban use it and it is: vos and vosotros. I read in a source that vos is used in a specific area in Cuba and this blogger says vosotros is used in a certain area of Cuba. They are two different concepts and regarding vosotros this is the first time I have heard that.

One section of her blog I really enjoyed was the section on terms of endearment. How does a foreigner feel, adjust or understand terms of endearment? In my experience, depending on your level of language it is either you feel it and it means something to you or you don’t. I laughed about what she said about Papi.

Many of these expressions in her blog are not only heard in Cuba. You will recognize them in Caribbean Spanish in general for example PR, DR, and Venezuela. Her comment on piropos too is interesting.

If you are interested have a look. I think the blogger did an awesome job.

https://www.baconismagic.ca/cuba/cuban-slang-cuban-spanish/

-MP.

Last edited:
M

Marianopolita

Here is a list of local expressions that is short and sweet but right on point. If you have exposure to Cuban Spanish you will recognize these seven expressions from the blogger. The blogger is right on and not to mention chévere is universal in the Spanish-speaking Caribbean although every Venezuelan will tell you the expressions belongs to them.

https://insightcuba.com/blog/2017/05/21/7-spanish-sayings-take-you-cuba

-MP.