Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Excellent Bakery?

This is a tough one...I know, I realize it But, by any chance can someone recommend a real bakery in these parts, Punta Cana that is. Maybe a hidden gem someplace, cause we think we have hit 2 or 3, and for lack of a better word, they have been pretty sorry, re what they consider cakes, and what we consider cakes (we do have an American taste thats just a part of us. The best cake we have had here was Not in Punta Cana, it is Crema in La Romana and we're not up for that particular trip especially ever since the owner/bakerwas killed in a motor accident about 1-2 years ago. So on the off chance someone does know of a good Baker/bakery in these parts, please let us know. Especially cheese cake. Ah, Crema made a very good chinola cheesecake.

Post Thanks / Like

De la Casa, in Plaza Paseo de San Juan, opposite Noah.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

3. Likes jeb321, Lucifer liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    De la Casa, in Plaza Paseo de San Juan, opposite Noah.
    excellent bakery ..... i was thinking that one also.

5. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How very very very sad that there is (except for the one mentioned) absolutely no place in All of punta cana where someone can bake a good tasting cake? Private baker perhaps? We had been to the shop next to Punta Italia. But it just confirms things. My friend who had been telling us for years that she would never buy bread or cake anywhere in DR (if at all possible). Punta Italia breads though are better than anywhere here we have eaten. BTW this included SD, Santiago and the very far reaches, Canca, La Vega. So here in the wondrous land of Punta Cana, no one has found a decent baker, bakery?
    Last edited by jeb321; 05-29-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Addition

Post Thanks / Like

Private baker? Check out Punta Cana-based French pattisserie on Instagram - pinkcoco.rd

Another place is Breakers Cafe in the new Coral Village mall in Bavaro - they bake Dutch apple pie and serve croissants and bread, not sure if it's baked on the premises but it was reasonable.

The only really good quality bread I've had has been home-baked by a friend with imported flour.

www.DR1.com

8. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Private baker? Check out Punta Cana-based French pattisserie on Instagram - pinkcoco.rd

Another place is Breakers Cafe in the new Coral Village mall in Bavaro - they bake Dutch apple pie and serve croissants and bread, not sure if it's baked on the premises but it was reasonable.

The only really good quality bread I've had has been home-baked by a friend with imported flour.
    Thank you so much for this. I looked at photos on instagram and am blown away. But how do you get in touch with pinkcoco? This is the private baker? Have you ever done business or eaten there personally?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeb321 View Post
    Thank you so much for this. I looked at photos on instagram and am blown away. But how do you get in touch with pinkcoco? This is the private baker? Have you ever done business or eaten there personally?
    You can DM her via Instagram and she will send you her WhatsApp. She makes cakes to order, no actual premises. I've tried the carrot cake, brownie, fruit tarts, and a chocolate birthday cake.

www.DR1.com

11. Likes jeb321, Lucifer liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Bread in the DR is a sad thing.

13. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i refuse to assert that nobody in the DR knows how to bake. the main culprit is the abhorrent flour, which cannot be make to work properly.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i refuse to assert that nobody in the DR knows how to bake. the main culprit is the abhorrent flour, which cannot be make to work properly.
    I do very little, but when I do, I use Golds Flour.

As for cakes.. There are tons of Repositerias around, but I have yet to taste a cake like you could get in any ma and pa diner in the states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast