Lifestyles no longer 'in favor' with the political class?

B

Buzzard

The 'press' that Lifestyles of Cofresi receives in the online news organizations implied to me that they
had influence with the local and regional political operatives. But two recent moves by government suggest otherwise: first the plan, pushed by mayor Musa, to site the new garbage dump closer to Lifestyles than the old one; secondly, the raid on Lifestyles by regional & national actors. (http://notiplata.com/lifestyle-denu...vencion-de-la-fuerza-publica-en-su-propiedad/).
Can anyone explain these seemingly contradictory actions against a business which seemed to be, up to now,
pretty much a favorite of the politicians?

C

Cdn_Gringo

I can't speak factually to the garbage dump location but I assume it is difficult to establish a new dump anywhere so any possible location is usually tried to see if it flies.

As for the eviction, the legal maneuvers are very much those of lawyers who are currently engaged in litigation with Lifestyles over a parcel of land which the resort has developed. Been ongoing for at least a couple of years now and no court ordered resolution is in sight. As the article pointed out I suspect this was a means to exert pressure on Lifestyles and the court to move things along. The merits of the claim over the property by both parties is still outstanding and those who filed the claim may be getting impatient.

As we all should know, acquiring land and developing it usually goes without a hiccup until the development is complete and then the those thinking they have a claim on the property come out of the woodwork. To be determined...

B

Buzzard

Well said, Capn'. However the truths spoken in your post do not touch on the salient issues, as I see them:
How could a seemingly powerful organization find themselves being so 'mistreated' by the local & regional politicians?
There have been many articles praising Lifestyles contributions to the PP area over the last few months. I think that the head of Lifestyles recently met with Medina, with good words said about the meeting in the press.
Once again, the curious gringo asks: "What gives???"

C

Cdn_Gringo

"Don't ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by stupidity."

In this case, I suspect, that the "lawyer of the North" issued an order late in the week that was enforced very quickly and somewhat quietly. The Vice Minister says he didn't know about the order or the enforcement action and I suspect that very few of the "Friends of Lifestyles" in Santo Domingo did.

Perhaps the litigants paid for VIP enforcement. :)

The fall out from this will be the telling part as to whether SD is going to allow Lifestyles to be harassed by 1000 legal cuts. That's not to say the claimant doesn't have a good case - I do not know either way. Usually with a tourist entity of this size, there is some level of political interference in the legal processes and I choose to think that those political actors were caught sleeping this time around. The articles suggests that there was no advance notice so it's likely no one knew the troops were on the move.

B

Buzzard

A thoughtful analysis, indeed, Capn'.
Hopefully someone whose ears are closer to the political ground could shed more light on the subject.

B

Buzzard

There are always DR1 posters with an opinion regardless of the subject. Why none here???

T

tee

Elections are coming up next year, this is a good time for Lifestyles to be brushing up to some politicians....we all know how it works!

B

Buzzard

I count 8 ahead of mine.

I was hoping for some insight from the community.
There are exactly two posters who responded, Derfish:WW, with a clever comment and Cdn Gringo, who reiterated the basic issue.
I was hoping for some insight into the politics of the situation.
How did your post aid in that endeavour?

W

william webster

This type of topic doesn't hit the DR1 group too hard.....

It seems they like juicier stuff - where they can be less specific and more opinionated

Just my view.....
Or try posting about how to save .0015% on changing money....lots of advice there !!!

B

Big

Yes, its so true. We don't have the mental acuity to delve into such complex subject matter as the location of lifestyles garbage dumps..... Can anyone please report who has the cheapest and coldest El Presidente beer on the north coast.

W

william webster

That's more like it---- you would some opinions with that...

Morphing into - What is COLD?...how cold is cold....
Bohemia advocates appear from nowhere.....

The thread gets shut down.....

C

cobraboy

I am told by knowledgeable sources it is an internal struggle regarding a lawsuit betwen "partners" of Esmeralda Point, and might involve some (shock!) dirty cops, lawyers and judges. Seems there is no verdict yet.

Not the first time is the area I'm told.

I learned the term "embargo", that is physically taking of tangible property by force.

Seems it is not that uncommon to find a corrupt judge to affirm an embargo of you think you might lose in court.

W

william webster

Buzzard
Given CB's involvement in the Tourism Sector...

I would tend to value his opinion....were I you....