Direct flights Rhode Island-Punta Cana

A

AlterEgo

DR1 Travel News:

Direct flights to Rhode Island
Sun Country Airlines will be flying nonstop to Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) as of 16 November 2019. The seasonal wintertime flights will continue through April 2020. Flights will be from Rhode Island’s T.F. Green International Airport (PVD).

The flights will begin once a week on Saturdays, then the frequency will increase to twice a week (Saturdays and Wednesdays) starting 25 December through 22 April 2020.

It is expected that thousands of Dominicans who live in Rhode Island will consider taking this direct flight to come home for the Christmas holidays. Punta Cana is 2.5 hours away from the capital city, but half an hour from the towns of La Romana and Higuey on a superhighway.

The airline is luring thousands of tourists who live in the Rhode Island to take the quick 3:45 hour flight to get to over 100 resorts and hotels in the Punta Cana and nearby La Romana beach and golf areas.

Iftikhar Ahmad, president and CEO of the Rhode Island Airport Corporation that runs the airport, announced on 21 May 2019: “Today we announce a great new international route that will benefit the airport, Rhode Island’s tourism economy and Rhode Island’s strong and vibrant Latino community,” he said.

He added: “Rhode Island is home to thousands of Dominicans who will now be able to enjoy the convenience of traveling nonstop from T.F. Green Airport. When I first took this position, I met with Mayor Elorza and he stressed the importance of securing this route. I’m very pleased this has come together for the community and I want to thank Sun Country for making it happen.”

In turn, Sun Country Airlines Chief Executive Officer Jude Bricker remarked: “We’re thrilled to expand our network in Providence and to provide another nonstop international route for T.F. Green.”

Expedia on 28 May 2019 had posted fares of US$407 for the roundtrip flight.

https://www.pvdairport.com/corporate...nican-republic

R

Riva_31

DR1 Travel News:
He added: “Rhode Island is home to thousands of Dominicans who will now be able to enjoy the convenience of traveling nonstop from T.F. Green Airport. When I first took this position, I met with Mayor Elorza and he stressed the importance of securing this route. I’m very pleased this has come together for the community and I want to thank Sun Country for making it happen.”

In turn, Sun Country Airlines Chief Executive Officer Jude Bricker remarked: “We’re thrilled to expand our network in Providence and to provide another nonstop international route for T.F. Green.”

Expedia on 28 May 2019 had posted fares of US$407 for the roundtrip flight.

https://www.pvdairport.com/corporate...nican-republic

I dont think a lot Dominicans will take that flight.

A

AlterEgo

Depending on price, some from Massachusetts might also utilize it.

R

Riva_31

Depending on price, some from Massachusetts might also utilize it.

Right, must be very very cheap, from Punta Cana Airport to Santo Domingo is a 3 hrs driving, so people will opt for flight into a hub with 1 hr or 1:30 min conection and land in Santo Domingo.

As a note arround only 1% of Dominicans residents in Dominican Republic use PUJ airport, and the rest of Dominicans landing in PUJ come with packages

In 2018 PUJ arrived 30,024 Dominicans living aboard while SDQ arrived 477,198 Dominicans living aboard, in the other hand we have the Dominicans living in the Dominican Republic wich PUJ arrived 22,783 Dominicans and SDQ arrived 427,348

SDQ closed 2018 with 1,837,689 pax landing.
PUJ closed 2018 with 3,944,536 pax landing