Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Guzman Ariza

  1. #11
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Heck I would like to know what are the good law firms in SD-I've searched high and low and nothing seems to pan out, but maybe that is just me.
    I mentioned one in my post. Dr Gustavo Mejia-Ricart. Definitely one of the best. His firm is called BMR and they are based in Lincoln on the corner of Gustavo Mejia-Ricart (the street is named after his grandfather). He charges US$ 250 per hour, but he is honestly worth it. Obviously you would only get that type of lawyer involved in more complex stuff. I use a number of other more junior lawyers for more mundane work.

    A really good real estate lawyer is Stanley Peña, PM me for his details.

    Both Gustavo and Stanley speak very good English.

  2. Likes chas123 liked this post
  3. #12
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chas123 View Post
    Now he says I would never be given unsupervised visits (my situation has not changed in any way) and they would be limited.
    What was his explanation for having previously told you that you could have unsupervised visits?

  4. #13
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here I'll give you free Dominican legal advice.. Settling this outside of a legal battle will cost you a fraction of the price and yield much better results.. Don't believe me, keep trying the Dominican "legal" system.

  5. Likes Bred, Derfish, cavok, SKY, JDJones and 2 others liked this post
  6. #14
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,072
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Best $10 bucks you will ever spend on book “ The Art Of War ”read it negotiate take it to lawyer for final blessing...Keep smiling don’t let them see you bleed, stay away from forums with particulars until your done ...

  7. Likes chas123 liked this post
  8. #15
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My experience with them was a bad one too! When I was going through my divorce went to the Guzman Ariza office in Sosua and was quoted 2500 USD for the whole process, begging to end, no matter how many audiencias or whatever, 2500 and that's it! Then after the second audiencia the lawyer told me I had to pay 2000$ more, the reason was that the ex's lawyer had appealed or something like that so my lawyer was gonna have to go to the court a few more times. I told him that I was quoted 2500$ all in, no matter what happens, he said either I pay the extra 2000 or he wouldn't represent me anymore. I paid because I wanted to get everything over with ASAP.
    Last edited by user123; 05-28-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Spelling.

  9. Likes Wishing you well, SKY, chas123 liked this post
  10. #16
    DR1 Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm sorry that you've had this bad experience with Guzmán Ariza. I can assure that our standards for client service, which have helped us become the largest firm in the country and the correspondent in the Dominican Republic of some of the largest law firms in the world, are not as you have experienced. Please let me know the names of attorneys you have dealt with. You can write to my personal email address ([email protected]) or to [email protected]. Thank you.
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macors, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Saman, Bvaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic


    [email protected]


    Website

    The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

  11. Likes Polar Bear, Caonabo, chas123, jinty05 liked this post
  12. #17
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayanora View Post
    Here I'll give you free Dominican legal advice.. Settling this outside of a legal battle will cost you a fraction of the price and yield much better results.. Don't believe me, keep trying the Dominican "legal" system.
    This. Time heals all wounds. I would speak to the mother, make amends, get back on her good side. Women here fight to have the father (s) of their children in their life and here's a mother who doesn't want the father around?.

    I'm not interested, but there's a back story here that's not being told.

    Being a financially independent person of means living in Sosua, I would think sitting down and trying to mend the relationship would be a piece of cake.

    After all, there was a point in time you were both sufficiently interested in each other to make a baby.

    I know women here who have multiple children with multiple fathers, and they all act like one big happy family.

    A person of your intelligence and understanding should be able to figure out how they do it.

  13. Likes DR_Guy liked this post
  14. #18
    DR1 Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user123 View Post
    My experience with them was a bad one too! When I was going through my divorce went to the Guzman Ariza office in Sosua and was quoted 2500 USD for the whole process, begging to end, no matter how many audiencias or whatever, 2500 and that's it! Then after the second audiencia the lawyer told me I had to pay 2000$ more, the reason was that the ex's lawyer had appealed or something like that so my lawyer was gonna have to go to the court a few more times. I told him that I was quoted 2500$ all in, no matter what happens, he said either I pay the extra 2000 or he wouldn't represent me anymore. I paid because I wanted to get everything over with ASAP.
    User123, in our firm we always have our clients approve an engagement letter stating the scope of the services to be provided to them. For litigation cases, we never quote an “all in” fee because of the nature of the Dominican court system, in which a case may have to be litigated in four different courts –Court of First instance, Court of Appeals, Supreme Court, and Constitutional Court–, involving five or more years of work.

    In any case, if the engagement letter sent to you states that the fee quoted was, as you say, “all in”, please send me a copy and the firm will reimburse you immediately for the appeal charges.
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macors, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Saman, Bvaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic


    [email protected]


    Website

    The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

  15. Likes Polar Bear, JDJones, Caonabo liked this post
  16. #19
    DR1 Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    I have to say I have had ATROCIOUS service from Guzman Ariza. All of the staff in the Santo Domingo office also have this horrible attitude, like they are way more important than you are - even the secretaries. Even getting them to answer the phone is a nightmare, very often it just rings until the line cuts out. And when you do call, all you ever get is to speak to a secretary who takes a message and says that someone will call you back, and they never do. They actually have a dedicated email address for complaints - so they must get quite a few - ([email protected]) but nobody actually bothers to reply to messages you send to that address. And yes I have tried sending a PM to Fabio Guzman which was also ignored.

    Honestly I would strongly recommend going to another lawyer. There are some very good firms in Santo Domingo. Speak to Dr Gustavo Mejia-Ricart at BMR, he is one of the top Dominican lawyers.
    Tropical Paul, I apologize sincerely for the bad service you have received. We have very strict rules in place for communication with clients, always stated in our engagement letters. Lawyers who do not respond on time have a very short stay in our firm. Please let me know the names of the lawyers who did not answer your calls by writing to me at [email protected]. Thank you.

    By the way, mails to [email protected] and [email protected] are received directly by me. For some reason I didn’t see yours. Do not PM me at dr1 (I only visit the site once a week and don’t have time to look a PM’s); write to me directly at [email protected] and I assure you will get an answer.
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macors, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Saman, Bvaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic


    [email protected]


    Website

    The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

  17. Likes bob saunders, Polar Bear, JDJones, Caonabo liked this post
  18. #20
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My divorce was done in 2010 so I don't have the engagement letter or any documents anymore, but the experience was as I have described. The lawyer's name was Elvis Roqe (spelling?). The service was good and the outcome of the case was to my satisfaction, but the part about the money I would describe as a shakedown! Thank you for the reply.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •