Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ceramic tile installer

Can anyone offer a recommendation for someone in the Sosua/Puerto Plata area to install a simple ceramic tile kitchen backsplash? I'm looking for someone who can replace my existing backsplash without destroying my kitchen, someone who has the equipment to make proper cuts, someone who will use the proper tile termination pieces, and someone who understands that they must use caulk - not grout - for joints between dissimilar surfaces or on different planes. I realize that's a tall order, but I'm an optimist.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

wherever you bought your tiles will point you in that direction....installation

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I haven't bought them yet. Any recommendations on that?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    My concern about simply asking the tile store for an installer recommendation is that they will likely just recommend their friend or someone who will give them a kickback. Anybody can install ceramic tile. But I would like to find an experienced professional who will actually do it correctly. I don't care what it costs - I simply want it done right with minimal damage to the rest of my kitchen. But I realize that I'm probably asking a lot.

5. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Read up on or watch a few youtube videos on how to install tile correctly.
    2) Hire your tile guy
    3) Watch him and any helpers like a hawk. If you don't like the way something is being done, say something.
    4) Do not take a bathroom break. In that five minute the trades people will lose their mind(s) and do something stupid.

Tile people are like real estate agents, electricians, plumbers & prostitutes...there is one on every corner and they all claim to be masters of what they do.

7. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    2) Hire your tile guy
    3) Watch him and any helpers like a hawk. If you don't like the way something is being done, say something.
    4) Do not take a bathroom break. In that five minute the trades people will lose their mind(s) and do something stupid.

Tile people are like real estate agents, electricians, plumbers & prostitutes...there is one on every corner and they all claim to be masters of what they do.
    It ain't that hard. My old bones will not allow me to do it at my age, but if you have the money to hire someone you have the money to buy the tools and spend an afternoon doing your own kitchen.
    Derfish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    2) Hire your tile guy

That all sounds like good advice but I don't need to watch any YouTube videos because I already know how to do the work properly. I've done it before, and I have no problem doing the work myself. That was my original intent until I realized that I would have to spend money for some cutting equipment for a 1-time use. Straight cuts are no problem because I could just use a cheap glass cutter for that. And ditto for any curves - tile nippers are cheap. My concern is cutting openings for electric receptacles. That will require more sophisticated and expensive equipment. If I were back home, I would simply go to the local home improvement store and rent the equipment for a day. But I assume no such things exists here in the DR.
    My neighbor claims that most tile stores will do the cutting for you if you take them the marked up tiles. I don't know if that's true, but I intend to check it out. In the meantime, I thought I would inquire on this forum in case anybody knew of a good qualified tile installer that could save me the trouble. Silly me.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhanson1 View Post
    That all sounds like good advice but I don't need to watch any YouTube videos because I already know how to do the work properly. I've done it before, and I have no problem doing the work myself. That was my original intent until I realized that I would have to spend money for some cutting equipment for a 1-time use. Straight cuts are no problem because I could just use a cheap glass cutter for that. And ditto for any curves - tile nippers are cheap. My concern is cutting openings for electric receptacles. That will require more sophisticated and expensive equipment. If I were back home, I would simply go to the local home improvement store and rent the equipment for a day. But I assume no such things exists here in the DR.
    My neighbor claims that most tile stores will do the cutting for you if you take them the marked up tiles. I don't know if that's true, but I intend to check it out. In the meantime, I thought I would inquire on this forum in case anybody knew of a good qualified tile installer that could save me the trouble. Silly me.
    Buying tools here is a hoot. I tried 5 stores before I found a 6 inch drywall knife. 6 being the most popular size. I finally found an 8" and bought it.
    Derfish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Buying tools here is a hoot. I tried 5 stores before I found a 6 inch drywall knife. 6 being the most popular size. I finally found an 8" and bought it.
    Derfish
    Yes, I know. Been there, done that. That's why I don't even try anymore - even for the simple stuff. Everything I buy is from Amazon - unparalleled selection, excellent prices, and it's delivered here in Sosua in less than a week. Saves a lot of hassle compared to trying to find what you want locally.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seem tiles being cut with an angle grinder...and you want sophisticate equipment? (I jest)

That degree of sophistication for an in home installer is going to significantly reduce the pool of available installers in most small towns along the north coast. I'm sure there must be one or two in Puerto Plata otherwise you will probably need to look to Santiago to find a reputable company with a proven track record.

The suggestion to ask the tile merchant seems like a good one. What do you care who gets a referral fee or if the installer is the husband of the owner's daughter? Specifically ask for a professional, with the correct tools and experience. Negotiate your best price and you can at least complain to the store if it all goes wrong. The cheapest price isn't always the best indicator of the best choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast