Ceramic tile installer

R

rhanson1

Can anyone offer a recommendation for someone in the Sosua/Puerto Plata area to install a simple ceramic tile kitchen backsplash? I'm looking for someone who can replace my existing backsplash without destroying my kitchen, someone who has the equipment to make proper cuts, someone who will use the proper tile termination pieces, and someone who understands that they must use caulk - not grout - for joints between dissimilar surfaces or on different planes. I realize that's a tall order, but I'm an optimist.

W

william webster

wherever you bought your tiles will point you in that direction....installation

R

rhanson1

wherever you bought your tiles will point you in that direction....installation

My concern about simply asking the tile store for an installer recommendation is that they will likely just recommend their friend or someone who will give them a kickback. Anybody can install ceramic tile. But I would like to find an experienced professional who will actually do it correctly. I don't care what it costs - I simply want it done right with minimal damage to the rest of my kitchen. But I realize that I'm probably asking a lot.

C

Cdn_Gringo

1) Read up on or watch a few youtube videos on how to install tile correctly.
2) Hire your tile guy
3) Watch him and any helpers like a hawk. If you don't like the way something is being done, say something.
4) Do not take a bathroom break. In that five minute the trades people will lose their mind(s) and do something stupid.

Tile people are like real estate agents, electricians, plumbers & prostitutes...there is one on every corner and they all claim to be masters of what they do.

D

Derfish

2) Hire your tile guy
3) Watch him and any helpers like a hawk. If you don't like the way something is being done, say something.
4) Do not take a bathroom break. In that five minute the trades people will lose their mind(s) and do something stupid.

Tile people are like real estate agents, electricians, plumbers & prostitutes...there is one on every corner and they all claim to be masters of what they do.

It ain't that hard. My old bones will not allow me to do it at my age, but if you have the money to hire someone you have the money to buy the tools and spend an afternoon doing your own kitchen.
Derfish

R

rhanson1

2) Hire your tile guy

That all sounds like good advice but I don't need to watch any YouTube videos because I already know how to do the work properly. I've done it before, and I have no problem doing the work myself. That was my original intent until I realized that I would have to spend money for some cutting equipment for a 1-time use. Straight cuts are no problem because I could just use a cheap glass cutter for that. And ditto for any curves - tile nippers are cheap. My concern is cutting openings for electric receptacles. That will require more sophisticated and expensive equipment. If I were back home, I would simply go to the local home improvement store and rent the equipment for a day. But I assume no such things exists here in the DR.
My neighbor claims that most tile stores will do the cutting for you if you take them the marked up tiles. I don't know if that's true, but I intend to check it out. In the meantime, I thought I would inquire on this forum in case anybody knew of a good qualified tile installer that could save me the trouble. Silly me.

D

Derfish

That all sounds like good advice but I don't need to watch any YouTube videos because I already know how to do the work properly. I've done it before, and I have no problem doing the work myself. That was my original intent until I realized that I would have to spend money for some cutting equipment for a 1-time use. Straight cuts are no problem because I could just use a cheap glass cutter for that. And ditto for any curves - tile nippers are cheap. My concern is cutting openings for electric receptacles. That will require more sophisticated and expensive equipment. If I were back home, I would simply go to the local home improvement store and rent the equipment for a day. But I assume no such things exists here in the DR.
My neighbor claims that most tile stores will do the cutting for you if you take them the marked up tiles. I don't know if that's true, but I intend to check it out. In the meantime, I thought I would inquire on this forum in case anybody knew of a good qualified tile installer that could save me the trouble. Silly me.

Buying tools here is a hoot. I tried 5 stores before I found a 6 inch drywall knife. 6 being the most popular size. I finally found an 8" and bought it.
Derfish

R

rhanson1

Buying tools here is a hoot. I tried 5 stores before I found a 6 inch drywall knife. 6 being the most popular size. I finally found an 8" and bought it.
Derfish

Yes, I know. Been there, done that. That's why I don't even try anymore - even for the simple stuff. Everything I buy is from Amazon - unparalleled selection, excellent prices, and it's delivered here in Sosua in less than a week. Saves a lot of hassle compared to trying to find what you want locally.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I've seem tiles being cut with an angle grinder...and you want sophisticate equipment? (I jest)

That degree of sophistication for an in home installer is going to significantly reduce the pool of available installers in most small towns along the north coast. I'm sure there must be one or two in Puerto Plata otherwise you will probably need to look to Santiago to find a reputable company with a proven track record.

The suggestion to ask the tile merchant seems like a good one. What do you care who gets a referral fee or if the installer is the husband of the owner's daughter? Specifically ask for a professional, with the correct tools and experience. Negotiate your best price and you can at least complain to the store if it all goes wrong. The cheapest price isn't always the best indicator of the best choice.

R

rhanson1

I've seem tiles being cut with an angle grinder...and you want sophisticate equipment? (I jest)

That degree of sophistication for an in home installer is going to significantly reduce the pool of available installers in most small towns along the north coast. I'm sure there must be one or two in Puerto Plata otherwise you will probably need to look to Santiago to find a reputable company with a proven track record.

The suggestion to ask the tile merchant seems like a good one. What do you care who gets a referral fee or if the installer is the husband of the owner's daughter? Specifically ask for a professional, with the correct tools and experience. Negotiate your best price and you can at least complain to the store if it all goes wrong. The cheapest price isn't always the best indicator of the best choice.

Yes, I've seen it done with a carbide grinding wheel. More typically it would be done with a cutting saw - something that is not cheap but would quickly pay for itself if you're in the business of installing tile.

i am well aware that the cheapest price is not necessarily the best value. As I stated in my original post, price is not my concern. And I have no problem with somebody's Dominican brother-in-law getting a kickback - IF they are qualified. But not simply because they are family or owed a favor.

B

ben jammin

It will take 3-4 times as long to remove the old splash as it will to install the new one, not to mention the danger to existing countertop and mess/dust involved. I almost always advise to go over the top of existing tile to avoid this cost/mess/danger, especially if existing is set properly. Only thing to consider is if you have thin window casing to go against where new tile will stick out too far. I almost always just use an angle grinder with a diamond wheel (4inch is better) because most splashes are now done with glass or stone mosaic tiles that are on a mesh sheet and tend to fall apart when cut on a wetsaw, not to mention you need the grinder to cut out for the outlets as a plunge cut will not go through from a 10inch bladed wetsaw. Trimming the edges can be challenging as the edge will now be thicker, so maybe trim out with some type of painted wood (quarter round or some other type). If you go this route make sure to either use a latex-modified thinset mortar or get some latex additive to mix in, or paint on some waterproofing membrane to ensure adhesion. Tile man for 30 years, Ben

B

Bob K

You might try this guy. He does a great job (did our entire home), reliable and honest
Blanquito Phone: 829-754-3649. He speaks only Spanish.

Bob K

R

rhanson1

It will take 3-4 times as long to remove the old splash as it will to install the new one, not to mention the danger to existing countertop and mess/dust involved. I almost always advise to go over the top of existing tile to avoid this cost/mess/danger, especially if existing is set properly. Only thing to consider is if you have thin window casing to go against where new tile will stick out too far. I almost always just use an angle grinder with a diamond wheel (4inch is better) because most splashes are now done with glass or stone mosaic tiles that are on a mesh sheet and tend to fall apart when cut on a wetsaw, not to mention you need the grinder to cut out for the outlets as a plunge cut will not go through from a 10inch bladed wetsaw. Trimming the edges can be challenging as the edge will now be thicker, so maybe trim out with some type of painted wood (quarter round or some other type). If you go this route make sure to either use a latex-modified thinset mortar or get some latex additive to mix in, or paint on some waterproofing membrane to ensure adhesion. Tile man for 30 years, Ben

Thanks Ben, I appreciate the helpful comments. I understand what you saying about simply leaving the existing tile backsplash and applying a new tile backsplash on top of it, but I don't think that would be a wise choice in my particular case for 2 reasons:

1. The primary reason that I want to do this repair is because I have entire 6x4 panels of mosaic tile coming loose and falling off the masonry wall. I don't know if that's because of improper installation when the place was built, settlement of the structure, or previous moisture problems. But whatever the reason, my existing tile is not a good candidate for a tile-over.

2. My granite countertops have a 4-inch granite backsplash, and then ceramic mosaic tile on the wall above that. Although the thickness of the mosaic tile is not quite as thick as the granite backsplash, it is very close. Thus applying another tile backsplash on top of the existing means that the new tile backsplash would actually protrude out beyond the existing granite backsplash - something that I think would look a bit hokey.

I know how difficult it can be to remove ceramic from a wall. In my particular case however, I think the tile will easily pop off with very little coaxing. The other option that I am considering is to simply glue the loose panels back onto the wall, re-grout the joints, and call it a day.

M

monfongo

If by proper termination pieces you mean Bull Nose you won't find them here.

C

cobraboy

My concern about simply asking the tile store for an installer recommendation is that they will likely just recommend their friend or someone who will give them a kickback. Anybody can install ceramic tile. But I would like to find an experienced professional who will actually do it correctly. I don't care what it costs - I simply want it done right with minimal damage to the rest of my kitchen. But I realize that I'm probably asking a lot.
I have seen some horrendous tile work in this country, even in some high-end homes.

B

ben jammin

Thanks Ben, I appreciate the helpful comments. I understand what you saying about simply leaving the existing tile backsplash and applying a new tile backsplash on top of it, but I don't think that would be a wise choice in my particular case for 2 reasons:

1. The primary reason that I want to do this repair is because I have entire 6x4 panels of mosaic tile coming loose and falling off the masonry wall. I don't know if that's because of improper installation when the place was built, settlement of the structure, or previous moisture problems. But whatever the reason, my existing tile is not a good candidate for a tile-over.

2. My granite countertops have a 4-inch granite backsplash, and then ceramic mosaic tile on the wall above that. Although the thickness of the mosaic tile is not quite as thick as the granite backsplash, it is very close. Thus applying another tile backsplash on top of the existing means that the new tile backsplash would actually protrude out beyond the existing granite backsplash - something that I think would look a bit hokey.

I know how difficult it can be to remove ceramic from a wall. In my particular case however, I think the tile will easily pop off with very little coaxing. The other option that I am considering is to simply glue the loose panels back onto the wall, re-grout the joints, and call it a day.

If you are happy with the look of the splash and only concerned about the loose ones and can remove them easily this is certainly your best solution, especially if the grout is white or know the color to match it. Otherwise you run the risk of having a dusty, expensive job that looks no better or worse than before :) Suerte

R

rhanson1

I have seen some horrendous tile work in this country, even in some high-end homes.

Even back in the States, I've seen some bad tile work from so-called professionals. I can just imagine what it might be like here. But this discussion has been helpful to me. I think I'm going to take the easy way out - simply glue the loose tiles back onto the wall and re-grout the joints. The kitchen will still work fine. The fact of the matter is that I could use an entirely new kitchen remodel, but I don't think of have the stomach for the aggravation and disappointment that would inevitably bring. I guess I'll keep my life simple and live with what I have.