Page 151 of 157 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1562
  1. #1501
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think she should really sue the DR police for not investigating this properly - if that is ever possible. I am no lawyer but it will be very hard to get money out of the resort, after all it wasn't slippery floor, poisoned food, broken lift or faulty electric appliances... !

    Even if they were a bit slow helping to search, calling police etc. or in some ways trying to cover up, the police eventually got involved, so very hard to get money for those shortcomings of resort ... (or say the attacker was staff member without solid proof.)

    But I don't blame her for trying, whatever happened that night the DR authorities should come up with proper hard evidence and put this to bed once and for all, either way, the ball is still in their court... !

  2. #1502
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A question for the ex-pats here- Why would this particular case of a woman being beaten cause such concern? I'd say the resorts are safe.

    6.5 million American tourists every year coming to the resorts and 99+% leave with no harm done. I don't understand.

    Her story is conflicting? Police are not doing their job? Resort cover-up? What is the brouhaha causing 150 pages of replies? Am I missing something here?

  3. #1503
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sue the police for responding promptly and doing a thorough preliminary investigation only to uncover a manufactured tale. I would think she should sue the alcohol companies then

  4. Likes jd426 liked this post
  5. #1504
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onions/Carrots View Post
    A question for the ex-pats here- Why would this particular case of a woman being beaten cause such concern? I'd say the resorts are safe.

    6.5 million American tourists every year coming to the resorts and 99+% leave with no harm done. I don't understand.

    Her story is conflicting? Police are not doing their job? Resort cover-up? What is the brouhaha causing 150 pages of replies? Am I missing something here?
    very good question sir, read the first 20 or so and I think you will get the gist. cheers

  6. Likes drstock liked this post
  7. #1505
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The interest on DR1 in this particular incident is not derived so much from the reported event itself but from the apparent need to speculate, introduce facts not yet known or in evidence and to basically repeat oneself until all other voices are either stymied or relegated to the sidelines. Basically perfect conditions for a forum firestorm.

    The vast majority of the posts in this thread are not factual but mostly baseless opinion and a good many were posted to cast doubt on the credibility of the alleged victim, her family (hubby wears baseball caps ya know), her employment situation, her motivation and the general sport of taking conversation beyond any semblance of the rational just for the fun of it. Any element that lends itself to doubt or suspicion is fair game in these threads. The PN can do no wrong - always good for 150 posts or so. Those involved are deceitful pond scum - good for 500 posts. The tearing asunder of the facts, most of which we learn from media reports that are often inaccurate or just plain wrong - good for the rest of the original posts. Then we start repeating ourselves over and over evolving our conjecture ever so slightly to ensure that everyone feels compelled to join in and comment and alas here we are. Lots of keyboards that much closer to disintegration from a good pounding, very few if any additional facts see the light of day, we have managed to entertain ourselves for a few weeks while a few of the usual suspects get carried away to an extreme and get themselves banned for 30 days. A forum telenovela of sorts.

  8. Likes Timotero, frank12, AlterEgo, Polar Bear, dulce and 3 others liked this post
  9. #1506
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    The interest on DR1 in this particular incident is not derived so much from the reported event itself but from the apparent need to speculate, introduce facts not yet known or in evidence and to basically repeat oneself until all other voices are either stymied or relegated to the sidelines. Basically perfect conditions for a forum firestorm.

    The vast majority of the posts in this thread are not factual but mostly baseless opinion and a good many were posted to cast doubt on the credibility of the alleged victim, her family (hubby wears baseball caps ya know), her employment situation, her motivation and the general sport of taking conversation beyond any semblance of the rational just for the fun of it. Any element that lends itself to doubt or suspicion is fair game in these threads. The PN can do no wrong - always good for 150 posts or so. Those involved are deceitful pond scum - good for 500 posts. The tearing asunder the facts, most of which we learn from media reports that are often inaccurate or just plain wrong - good for the rest of the original posts. Then we start repeating ourselves over and over evolving our conjecture ever so slightly to ensure that everyone feels compelled to join in and comment and alas here we are. Lots of keyboards that much closer to disintegration from a good pounding, very few if any additional facts see the light of day, we have managed to entertain ourselves for a few weeks while a few of the usual suspects get carried away to an extreme and get themselves banned for 30 days. A forum telenovela of sorts.
    And what is wrong with discussing a Topic ?
    We sometimes even read your lengthy run-on lecturing paragraphs ...
    there was another thread on Constipation and Metamucil, or how not to clog your Toilet ..
    Maybe that is more the SPEED of some here.. so they should go there ..

    and let the Arm Chair Detectives Chat about this here ..

    I dont see a problem with it , its an INTERESTING STORY , with TEETH, which IF you gave proper Credit to the Early posts in this thread.... Certain people recognized right away this Story would BLOW up HUGE.. which it did ..
    The deaths right after , threw gasoline on it .. a Perfect Firestorm, yes . but hardly started here ... but recognized here by Some who saw the Huge Implications ...


    and now I probably have to take a Spanking from The Boss Lady
    because i got sucked in to your condescending Post ..

    so be it
    Last edited by jd426; 07-19-2019 at 08:59 AM.

  10. Likes Big, Caonabo liked this post
    Dislikes Polar Bear disliked this post
  11. #1507
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    And what is wrong with discussing a Topic ?
    We sometimes even read your lengthy run-on lecturing paragraphs ...
    there was another thread on Constipation and Metamucil, or how not to clog your Toilet ..
    Maybe that is more the SPEED of some here.. so they should go there ..

    and let the Arm Chair Detectives Chat about this here ..

    I dont see a problem with it , its an INTERESTING STORY , with TEETH, which IF you gave proper Credit to the Early posts in this thread.... Certain people recognized right away this Story would BLOW up HUGE.. which it did ..
    The deaths right after , threw gasoline on it .. a Perfect Firestorm, yes . but hardly started here ... but recognized here by Some who saw the Huge Implications ...


    and now I probably have to take a Spanking from The Boss Lady
    because of your condescending Post ..

    so be it
    why do you bother to get involved with people who have assumed the mantle of forum scold, and who will decide what people should do to pass their time?

  12. Likes jd426, Big, RV429, Caonabo, bonao99 liked this post
  13. #1508
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    spoken by a veteran.....

    well done

  14. #1509
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onions/Carrots View Post
    A question for the ex-pats here- Why would this particular case of a woman being beaten cause such concern? I'd say the resorts are safe.

    6.5 million American tourists every year coming to the resorts and 99+% leave with no harm done. I don't understand.

    Her story is conflicting? Police are not doing their job? Resort cover-up? What is the brouhaha causing 150 pages of replies? Am I missing something here?
    It's a good question, also not just ex-pats but casual DR observers all over the world and social media and news outlets. The reason for ex-pats interest is they know how police and authorities operate here, how lax they are when it comes to crime solving, perhaps to the point of incompetent (not just this case), how they want to cover up and protect their gringo, tourist friendly image, and how lacking their resources are to deal with serious situations.

    I think the main outcry is to highlight those and hopefully see some action and improvement (always worth it, though wishful thinking) - whichever way you look at it this is still a banana republic when it comes to policing and regulations and doing things by the book (rather than under the table).

    As for the rest of the world and non-expats reaction, it is just sensationalism and tabloid reporting to make money, there are far more serious mishaps going on in this island that goes unnoticed by them (e.g. high teenage pregnancy, teenage crime and unemployment, mistreating Haitians, corruption etc. that to me are major ones that nobody reports on the front-pages about DR... ! But this case did...).

    As far as I am concerned one useful thing that has come out of this is the regulation for all resorts to be forced to have working CCTV installed everywhere, small step but a good one if properly implemented.

    Many people claim the husband was involved, why don't the police who did their job give us one shred of hard/physical evidence to clarify it and done with it... ?! because they did not investigate and did not collect proper evidence, such an easy job they failed at. Or if not that scenario, then failed again to solve the case anyway. And believe me this is not the first time, hence 1500+ posts...

  15. Likes frank12 liked this post
  16. #1510
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    The interest on DR1 in this particular incident is not derived so much from the reported event itself but from the apparent need to speculate, introduce facts not yet known or in evidence and to basically repeat oneself until all other voices are either stymied or relegated to the sidelines. Basically perfect conditions for a forum firestorm.

    The vast majority of the posts in this thread are not factual but mostly baseless opinion and a good many were posted to cast doubt on the credibility of the alleged victim, her family (hubby wears baseball caps ya know), her employment situation, her motivation and the general sport of taking conversation beyond any semblance of the rational just for the fun of it. Any element that lends itself to doubt or suspicion is fair game in these threads. The PN can do no wrong - always good for 150 posts or so. Those involved are deceitful pond scum - good for 500 posts. The tearing asunder of the facts, most of which we learn from media reports that are often inaccurate or just plain wrong - good for the rest of the original posts. Then we start repeating ourselves over and over evolving our conjecture ever so slightly to ensure that everyone feels compelled to join in and comment and alas here we are. Lots of keyboards that much closer to disintegration from a good pounding, very few if any additional facts see the light of day, we have managed to entertain ourselves for a few weeks while a few of the usual suspects get carried away to an extreme and get themselves banned for 30 days. A forum telenovela of sorts.
    Forgive us lessers for not behaving to your lofty standards created in such rarified air.

    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  17. Likes El Rey de Mangu, Caonabo liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •