Biometrics... Police

W

william webster

Surprised this has slid by so far... from today's news

Another step towards the new world in la Rep Dom...........

Police announce real-time background checks

The National Police is implementing a new integrated identification system whereby law enforcement agents have access to identify anyone in real-time by comparing a person’s fingerprints and faces against those in the Central Electoral Board (JCE) database.

Police director, Major General Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte reports that the new tool (Sistema Integrado de Identificación Ciudadana y Depuración Biométrica) makes it possible for police to do background checks of people, their IDs, vehicles and firearms on site. In the past, people had to be arrested and taken to police posts.

The new device weighs less than a pound and consists of a camera lens, an optical scanner and a smartphone application enabled for biometric analysis and identification.

This application was developed by the National Police to make possible automated consultations to the Central Electoral Board (JCE) national system of fingerprint identification and facial recognition. The system includes a database with biometric finger and facial records of more than 10 million people, in addition to the ability of comparing and identifying faces.

http://hoy.com.do/policia-podra-depu...-ir-a-cuartel/
http://z101digital.com/policia-prese...s-al-instante/

C

Caonabo

I believe the poster PICHARDO made reference to this in an earlier posting a while back. He was promptly ridiculed by many here within this web forum. May apologies now be in order?

L

lifeisgreat

It was setup last yr....with car registration also, they can take a picture of your car plates and brings up all info of owner...welcome to new DR

W

william webster

Pichardo does get ahead of the curve now & then...

little gadget - less than 1lb....

The interlopers may not to need to fear much... for facial recognition yet... fingerprints = Yes

We'll see about retina scans down the road --- Pichardo ???

My residency renewal last year did all the biometrics - as I recall....hands & eyes

D

Derfish

I believe the poster PICHARDO made reference to this in an earlier posting a while back. He was promptly ridiculed by many here within this web forum. May apologies now be in order?

It kinda goes like the story of the little boy who called "Wolf" too often. He promised us a cashless society, though he didn't answer how this fits with his claim that the DR is on the gold standard, but within a short time every financial transaction would be electrnoic. Even motoconchos and chicas?

C

Caonabo

It kinda goes like the story of the little boy who called "Wolf" too often. He promised us a cashless society, though he didn't answer how this fits with his claim that the DR is on the gold standard, but within a short time every financial transaction would be electrnoic. Even motoconchos and chicas?

Have you recently shopped in any large supermarket chains within RD?

W

william webster

Derf may not carry a credit card...

Many places here accept debit/credit.... Apple Pay--not so much.

Derf - get rid of the pedal pusher/clam digger pants and join the mainstream !!!
Boat neck shirts.....madras.... sandals/sox

C

Caonabo

Derf may not carry a credit card...

Many places here accept debit/credit.... Apple Pay--not so much.

Derf - get rid of the pedal pusher/clam digger pants and join the mainstream !!!
Boat neck shirts.....madras.... sandals/sox

Not to steer away from your original topic at hand, but the transition to cashless processes is occurring, although at a slower pace than other parts of the world. It is just a sign of the times. Liked by some, hated by some, but none the less inevitable within time.

W

william webster

right-

it's all part of the paradigm....

new things & processes

Apple Pay in other countries - not here yet
even credit card debit card payments isn't countrywide yet
in spite of their issuance increasing.....

yes - it will happen.....when ??
take bets

haha

D

Derfish

Not to steer away from your original topic at hand, but the transition to cashless processes is occurring, although at a slower pace than other parts of the world. It is just a sign of the times. Liked by some, hated by some, but none the less inevitable within time.

Yeah another hundred years, not next week. Many places in this country don't even have telephone signals say nothing of cashless in and out cards for all business transactions. I talked to a motoconcho about this, that is him taking cards and he laughed his self off his bike.
It may be a fantasy of some self appointed futurists, but far from reality. Next timew you use a motoconcho present him with your card, and see what happens.
Derfish

W

Wishing you well

A few politicos are just about to make many millions - the ridicule is on the people who would think this is actually a step toward a better DR.

Pichardo loves shiny, and digital gadgets, it doesn't matter the worthiness of them gadgets towards making life better for the many Dominicans struggling to make it day in and day out.

Same populace which make less than 200 UDS per month in general, but let us buy them a shiny toy so someone who already has a position better than 99% percent of the rest gets to make a few more millions.

Same story took place with the biometrics of cedulas and JCE, how many times did they change those two IDs?

Picture perfect Dominican tale.

Enjoy your shiny toys!

Meantime, water and electricity - when do we get gadgets that would work to get them two operational for everyone?

Nahhh.....

Pichardo loves them toys, enjoy them and see how long they would shine!

It never fails, the fish always falls for the shiny lure, sad.

C

Caonabo

Yeah another hundred years, not next week. Many places in this country don't even have telephone signals say nothing of cashless in and out cards for all business transactions. I talked to a motoconcho about this, that is him taking cards and he laughed his self off his bike.
It may be a fantasy of some self appointed futurists, but far from reality. Next timew you use a motoconcho present him with your card, and see what happens.
Derfish

I do not use motoconchos.

P

PICHARDO

I don’t know why PN said it has been implemented already, as the other half of the real time database is not ready yet.
Like I said here before, it will also include the Interior y Policía database from all ports in the country. Meaning foreigners arriving/leaving the DR as well those residents.
This is NOT ready yet. We have to meet certain security standards for international agreements we are signed to.
More so for US citizens. The DR has not yet concluded that agreement.

This is for now a limited roll out of a more robust and wide ranged system to be fully implemented.

As for electronic currency? Why not yet? Simply because we don’t want to let visa, mc, etc... take a slice of our own new electronic currency system. We are developing a system that will not require neither of their cards, nor even a bank account to work. Therefore a system on a closed local national network. Which can’t be disrupted from the outside or hacked.

As for where we are headed next, think China... 5G national network, smart phone payments without bank accounts or middle system to charge fees to merchants ach/ cardnet or the clients as most banks do for accounts.

Already China is assisting and cutting our costs, the device you see was redesigned by the Chinese manufacturer to our PN needs and specs from their regular model. At half the cost of the previously contracted US company device that was being tested. The device includes a hardware security chip, without which the app will not have any chance of accessing the real time database. The US model had a software security key...

Again, a police officer can only detain you if the system red flags you. This will cut shakedowns and also keep them honest as it records all access requests with a gps geolocation encryption that can’t be altered.

Next on the line are police body cameras... always on...
First to be deployed on cesfront agents on a test pilot. Then all the PN...
Also China sourced...

C

CristoRey

Interesting, no doubt they will find ways to abuse it
and use it as a tool to extort even more money from
the decent people of this country who are holding down
a nine to five job.

All in favor of making random drug testing mandatory for
the PN.. Please say "I"

P

PICHARDO

Pichardo does get ahead of the curve now & then...

little gadget - less than 1lb....

The interlopers may not to need to fear much... for facial recognition yet... fingerprints = Yes

We'll see about retina scans down the road --- Pichardo ???

My residency renewal last year did all the biometrics - as I recall....hands & eyes

The collection of biometrics will continue via the JCE and Interior y Policía.
Each time we update the national Cédula, this will be refined.

The Cédula is your Social Security Card, your national ID, your voter ID, soon to be your DL, personal account card for all money transactions(recall real-time biometrics checked onsite?), your boaters/fishing/hunter/gun owner/carry permit/profesional license/etc...

We are still working on perfecting the security and anti fraud mechanisms to the present and future national database.

Once citizens see they are able to carry out all steps that today are riddled with corruption in a quick secured way, there will be no going back. Gov corruption will be eliminated via the automated online system, even for public tenders.

But we can’t just roll all of it at once! Little by little you will continue to see these changes take effect. Until all is done and with little push back from the institutional corruption.

I’ll keep you posted on them so you don’t get caught off guard!

P

PICHARDO

Please explain how this enables that to take place?
Like I said, all access requests are recorded and encrypted, only takes a citizen complaint to find the facts and punish the offender.

P

PICHARDO

As for random drug testing? Already been two years into that.