Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Biometrics... Police

    Surprised this has slid by so far... from today's news

    Another step towards the new world in la Rep Dom...........

    Police announce real-time background checks

    The National Police is implementing a new integrated identification system whereby law enforcement agents have access to identify anyone in real-time by comparing a person’s fingerprints and faces against those in the Central Electoral Board (JCE) database.

    Police director, Major General Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte reports that the new tool (Sistema Integrado de Identificación Ciudadana y Depuración Biométrica) makes it possible for police to do background checks of people, their IDs, vehicles and firearms on site. In the past, people had to be arrested and taken to police posts.

    The new device weighs less than a pound and consists of a camera lens, an optical scanner and a smartphone application enabled for biometric analysis and identification.

    This application was developed by the National Police to make possible automated consultations to the Central Electoral Board (JCE) national system of fingerprint identification and facial recognition. The system includes a database with biometric finger and facial records of more than 10 million people, in addition to the ability of comparing and identifying faces.

    http://hoy.com.do/policia-podra-depu...-ir-a-cuartel/
    http://z101digital.com/policia-prese...s-al-instante/

  2. Likes Caonabo, cavok liked this post
  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    35,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hermano mayor comes to La Republica...

  4. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe the poster PICHARDO made reference to this in an earlier posting a while back. He was promptly ridiculed by many here within this web forum. May apologies now be in order?

  5. Likes nigrarosa, Jaime809 liked this post
  6. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was setup last yr....with car registration also, they can take a picture of your car plates and brings up all info of owner...welcome to new DR

  7. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pichardo does get ahead of the curve now & then...

    little gadget - less than 1lb....

    The interlopers may not to need to fear much... for facial recognition yet... fingerprints = Yes

    We'll see about retina scans down the road --- Pichardo ???

    My residency renewal last year did all the biometrics - as I recall....hands & eyes

  8. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    It was setup last yr....with car registration also, they can take a picture of your car plates and brings up all info of owner...welcome to new DR
    and was reported here.....

  9. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    I believe the poster PICHARDO made reference to this in an earlier posting a while back. He was promptly ridiculed by many here within this web forum. May apologies now be in order?
    It kinda goes like the story of the little boy who called "Wolf" too often. He promised us a cashless society, though he didn't answer how this fits with his claim that the DR is on the gold standard, but within a short time every financial transaction would be electrnoic. Even motoconchos and chicas?

  10. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    It kinda goes like the story of the little boy who called "Wolf" too often. He promised us a cashless society, though he didn't answer how this fits with his claim that the DR is on the gold standard, but within a short time every financial transaction would be electrnoic. Even motoconchos and chicas?
    Have you recently shopped in any large supermarket chains within RD?

  11. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Derf may not carry a credit card...

    Many places here accept debit/credit.... Apple Pay--not so much.

    Derf - get rid of the pedal pusher/clam digger pants and join the mainstream !!!
    Boat neck shirts.....madras.... sandals/sox

  12. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Derf may not carry a credit card...

    Many places here accept debit/credit.... Apple Pay--not so much.

    Derf - get rid of the pedal pusher/clam digger pants and join the mainstream !!!
    Boat neck shirts.....madras.... sandals/sox
    Not to steer away from your original topic at hand, but the transition to cashless processes is occurring, although at a slower pace than other parts of the world. It is just a sign of the times. Liked by some, hated by some, but none the less inevitable within time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •