Should Dominicans welcome or fear 5G technology?

D

Dolores

Recently, Viva telecom made a splash of testing its implemention of 5G technology in the Dominican Republic. They are working with the Swedish company Ericsson.

But reading that Belgium has rejected its implementation in Brussels because of health concerns for the radiation it will bring.

Is this something like Monsanto and agriculture that will happen and later people will have to figure out how to deal with the health problems?

C

Caonabo

As far as the concerns regarding radiation, are these concerns due to the individual handsets persons use or the towers relaying signals?

R

Riva_31

As far as the concerns regarding radiation, are these concerns due to the individual handsets persons use or the towers relaying signals?

You can read a lot things about it, cellphones and towers, nothing yet for sure can tell yes or not, main problem with 5G is the test they are doing the companies are using 2 diferent standards and didnt decide wich one to use. So for the next 2 years we will be running diferent test in all companies.

I was checking Ericsson webpage and they shows that the hardware they are using for LTE MIMO that is the one VIVA has installed is the same to be used for 5G, they only need to make a software update, and the transmision is shared with 4G at the same time.

What came in my mine is that in the test in Belgium they used another frecuency higher than those used for the 2 diferents stands.

C

chico bill

You can read a lot things about it, cellphones and towers, nothing yet for sure can tell yes or not, main problem with 5G is the test they are doing the companies are using 2 diferent standards and didnt decide wich one to use. So for the next 2 years we will be running diferent test in all companies.

I was checking Ericsson webpage and they shows that the hardware they are using for LTE MIMO that is the one VIVA has installed is the same to be used for 5G, they only need to make a software update, and the transmision is shared with 4G at the same time.

What came in my mine is that in the test in Belgium they used another frecuency higher than those used for the 2 diferents stands.

5G will not be completely Frequency-Dependant, as a carrier must own the frequency bands they intend to use.
Basically the higher frequency = more speed.
But there is a down side. Higher frequency means shorter distance a cell site can cover and lower penetration into buildings & cars for example, also huge degradations from weather events like heavy rain or dense fog and snow.

Verizon is proposing to use millimeter wave frequency which means they can't cover their clients with 5G except in dense urban areas with closely spaced sites.

It won't matter if a carrier has a fast network if it won't penetrate the walls of your home (think concrete construction in DR)
But if we all have to sit within 200 yards of a tower to use 5G it will be a flop - and these are the debates going on in the carriers now to try to decide which frequency (which they own) will make the best compromise of speed & largest coverage area.

The merger proposal between T-Mobile and Sprint in the US could really tilt the field because Sprint owns a lot of frequency that is good for 5G but they don't have the funds to deploy many more sites.

I expect some point in the near future T-Mobile will buy a carrier in the DR - then the real competition will begin.

Sure would be great to dump Delancer and use 5G for the Internet and phone instead - at faster speeds than their fiber.

R

Riva_31

Also the standard is not rulled, so every body is using 2 diferents way to transport the data, that will be another problem. but lets see what will come at the end of the tunel.