Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 93
  1. #31
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    23,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    when i had my prostate removed in Centro Medico Bournigal, my friend from Mao closed her little colmado to come to POP and stay with me until i was up and about, maybe 4 days. oh..i forgot....i had it removed on Christmas Eve. so, she was away from her family for Christmas.

    money cannot pay for that..
    did you see this today ??

    I have been eyeing the big billboard in SD promoting robotic prostate Cancer treatment

    Robotics used in Santiago hospital operations

    The Metropolitan Hospital of Santiago (HOMS) reports that Dr. Marcos Arias of the urology service of the hospital has performed several surgeries for the treatment of prostate cancer assisted by a robot. He is the first Dominican urologist to perform this procedure in the Dominican Republic. He is using a Da Vinci Surgical System robotics.

    https://listindiario.com/la-republic...er-de-prostata
    https://www.intuitive.com/en-us/prod...vices/da-vinci

    Also - Google Dr David Samadi.....

  2. Likes jinty05, Russell liked this post
  3. #32
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Please stay on topic.......

  4. #33
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Socio-economic classes rarely intermingle in the U.S except for pleasantries.
    Ever traveled through the south?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Here I see gringos hanging out with locals drinking rum under a tree sitting on plastic chairs.
    I guess they falsely believe they are absorbing Dominican Culture.
    Note to self, do not drink rum while sitting in plastic chairs with my neighbors
    like (I'm guessing) 80% percent of the local population do every weekend...
    Perhaps I should avoid the domino games and sancocho as well?

  5. #34
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Here I see gringos hanging out with locals drinking rum under a tree sitting on plastic chairs. I guess they falsely believe they are absorbing Dominican Culture..
    Given the choice, I would rather do this than be ‘friends’ with 99% of the gringos here ... generations gap , different outlook .... and for the same reasons Cdn_gringo already outlined in post #2 . Cdn_gringo’s approach works perfectly in DR...and is probably one of the best things about living in DR ...if you don’t go looking ...nobody will bother you ...

  6. Likes Cdn_Gringo, Russell liked this post
  7. #35
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In a nutshell I think Buffness is correct. No matter how hard you try, you are not and never will be a Dominican. You will always stand out and you will always be viewed through coloured glasses. You will need to actively manage your relationships in this country with the locals (and foreigners) being careful not to offend, offer up too much information or to permit too much familiarity. It's a balancing act. Sometimes we are good at it, sometimes not so much.

  8. Likes Russell liked this post
  9. #36
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are Dominicans I can trust with my life and gringos that I can trust as well. (Been tested recently)
    Since you are new you will be taken advantage of, steep expensive learning curve sometimes.
    Get workers that have many good references from people who have lived here a long time 10+ years and can be trusted.

    Very important do not automatically trust the gringo, half of them are shifty, if they don’t leave the island there is usually a reason why... there are many gringo con artists on the NC.
    Whoever you make friends with do it slowly and check check and recheck references. I cannot stress how important it is!!!!


    I don’t let anyone in my house but I’m a freak about that but be careful who you let in your house.

    The longer I live here the less I like the gringos living here and the more I like Dominicans!

  10. #37
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Another thing I cant understand is men bringing young Dominican woman back to their casa after not fulling vetting them (do they have a job, family etc). One would never do that in Jacksonville FL or Paramus NJ. Then they introduce them to their friends and wonder why they get the weird looks.

  11. Likes Buster Rhyno liked this post
  12. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,566
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Another thing I cant understand is men bringing young Dominican woman back to their casa after not fulling vetting them (do they have a job, family etc). One would never do that in Jacksonville FL or Paramus NJ. Then they introduce them to their friends and wonder why they get the weird looks.
    it is one thing when you bring back Beatrice from Human Resources to your apartment without fully vetting her. at least you know that, at the very worst, you both might be on the same social level. your values might be closely aligned. you might get away with leaving your gold chain on the dresser...it will probably be there when she leaves the next morning.

    you are not going to have too much good luck when you go to some bar and pick up Belkis from Gualey, whose entire family has had miscellaneous run ins with the law. she speaks no english, and the outer limit of your spanish is ''otra cerveza, por favor''. she looks good, had the lumps in all the right places, and loves you long time. you are in looooove, and by midday tomorrow you are looking under the bed to see if your iphone 8 fell under there.

  13. Likes Big, Russell, Buster Rhyno liked this post
  14. #39
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    it is one thing when you bring back Beatrice from Human Resources to your apartment without fully vetting her. at least you know that, at the very worst, you both might be on the same social level. your values might be closely aligned. you might get away with leaving your gold chain on the dresser...it will probably be there when she leaves the next morning.

    you are not going to have too much good luck when you go to some bar and pick up Belkis from Gualey, whose entire family has had miscellaneous run ins with the law. she speaks no english, and the outer limit of your spanish is ''otra cerveza, por favor''. she looks good, had the lumps in all the right places, and loves you long time. you are in looooove, and by midday tomorrow you are looking under the bed to see if your iphone 8 fell under there.
    lol,So true, The dead give way would have been the tattoo on her neck that says "Destiny"

  15. #40
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    it is one thing when you bring back Beatrice from Human Resources to your apartment without fully vetting her. at least you know that, at the very worst, you both might be on the same social level. your values might be closely aligned. you might get away with leaving your gold chain on the dresser...it will probably be there when she leaves the next morning.

    you are not going to have too much good luck when you go to some bar and pick up Belkis from Gualey, whose entire family has had miscellaneous run ins with the law. she speaks no english, and the outer limit of your spanish is ''otra cerveza, por favor''. she looks good, had the lumps in all the right places, and loves you long time. you are in looooove, and by midday tomorrow you are looking under the bed to see if your iphone 8 fell under there.
    Why is it always "Belkis"? Don't you know any other dominicana barrio names?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •