If you have Hotmail.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You may find that your personal profile has been changed to give your personal information and email address to others. When I got this alert I checked and found that mine had. Open Hotmail, click "Options", then "Personal Profile". Scroll down past the personal data to the permissions at the end. If any of the 3 are checked, it means that you are likely to be getting spam from various online vendors and services.

Ken

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Alert

Ken, thanks for the alert about Hotmail. I checked my profile and the boxes were checked to allow the spammers to intrude. Well, I did some house cleaning. Just goes to show how underhanded MSN can be with your privacy. Big Brother is watching you. Regards, PJT

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ken...

THANK YOU!!!

Wow, I never even knew that existed!!! Thanks for the warning!

This has got to be one of the best posts ever...very helpful!

:mad:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, it probably means you'll get 100 instead of 140 daily. The main difference is, you can make use of the Junk Mail and Custom filters to direct most of the spam sent randomly to your Junk Mail file. But what you would get as a result of the unauthorized changes would be spam that would go into your inbox.

There is no email service more subject to being spammed than Hotmail. What gets me is the fact they only give you 2MB of storage, then allow that to be filled up with spam. Several times when my computer was down for a couple of days I got a notice saying that I had exceeded my quota. Reason was the quantity in the Junk Mail file.

To protect against that, I have now ok'd immediate deletion of junk mail. This may mean that once or twice a year I may lose a message that was misrouted to Junk Mail. But at least important messages won't be bounced because spam has caused me to exceed my storage allowance.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I set mine to receive mail only from people in my address book and wow what a difference. I have my regular sprint address and lately I'm getting all kinds of junk mail there.