Hotels have 60 days to install cameras

A

AlterEgo

computer translation:

After cases in hotels Tourism gives 60 days to install security cameras

This was reported by MITUR in a circular signed by the minister Francisco Javier García

Diario Libre - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 05/06/2019, 12:40 PM

The Ministry of Tourism (MITUR) granted a period of 60 days to hotel establishments in the Dominican Republic to install surveillance cameras, as ordered by Resolution No. 43-08 of the entity, regarding the latest events that have been submitted to the international scrutiny the security situation in the tourist poles of the nation.

This was reported by MITUR in a circular signed by the Minister Francisco Javier García, which warns that the failure to observe this measure could lead to the withdrawal of the operating license, "independently of any other measure that may be applicable or pertinent".

The content of the document, which was signed on Tuesday, June 4, is aligned with the ordinances of Decree No. 818-03, on the Functioning of Hotel Establishments.

The decision was made after an American tourist, Tammy Lawrence-Daley, reported that she was brutally beaten at a resort in Punta Cana.

Added to this case is the death of the husbands Edward Nathael Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, whose bodies were found in a room at the Bahia Principe hotel, located in the tourist complex Playa Nueva Romana.

Following link has image of the law

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...para-instalar-camaras-de-seguridad-LC12983549

D

Derfish

Who was that looking for advise as to a bidness to go into here? Buy a bunch of cameras on Amazon and go for it.

K

KyleMackey

As I posted before surveillance cameras are probably not common in the residential areas of the resorts.

S

Seamonkey

Every year at this time, the Ministerio de Turismo comes up with some ridiculous idea to get businesses to spend money after high season. I have never ever seen a security camera at a resort yet.

D

dulce

Every year at this time, the Ministerio de Turismo comes up with some ridiculous idea to get businesses to spend money after high season. I have never ever seen a security camera at a resort yet.

Interesting. So, I wonder why people in the other threads are all wanting to see the videos......

C

chico bill

There are plenty - and how the Nigerian man who choked a Dominican mother of 4 to death is Sosua recently was ID'd carrying her body out the front door. So it can protect Dominican guests too.

Even some small colmados have them

Last edited:
K

KyleMackey

There are plenty - and how the Nigerian man who choked a Dominican mother of 4 to death is Sosua recently was ID'd carry here body out the front door. So it can protect Dominican guests too.

That place is a resort? Also it was the lobby, not the residential areas.

B

Big

?? I have never ever not seen them. I even see them in restaurants and businesses.

C

chico bill

That place is a resort? Also it was the lobby, not the residential areas.

You haven't been to enough resorts - they are ubiquitous in many places. Maybe they are hidden, don't work or are just 'dummies' but look around next time you go to an AI or any hotel

K

KyleMackey

You haven't been to enough resorts - they are ubiquitous in many places. Maybe they are hidden, don't work or are just 'dummies' but look around next time you go to an AI or any hotel
Can you post some photos of them at AIs, in the residential areas?

R

RDKNIGHT

i have seen millions of cameras in resorts here .... always look around at your surroundings you will see them...... once again must be my law enforcement back around

S

Seamonkey

There are plenty - and how the Nigerian man who choked a Dominican mother of 4 to death is Sosua recently was ID'd carrying her body out the front door. So it can protect Dominican guests too.

I said resorts, not hotels.

B

Big

You've seen them in resorts? Which one?

I am in the Hodelpa more than often, best accommodations on the island especially for the business traveler. If you haven't seen them you haven't looked. Even the boutique resorts on the North Coast have them. They all have them.

T

the gorgon

this is true....

D

dulce

I am in the Hodelpa more than often, best accommodations on the island especially for the business traveler. If you haven't seen them you haven't looked. Even the boutique resorts on the North Coast have them. They all have them.

Could you post pictures of all the cameras at the huge resorts please?

B

Big

lol, yes , I will need 6 weeks, I will also do comprehensive security surveys and submit an evacuation plan

D

dulce

i have seen millions of cameras in resorts here .... always look around at your surroundings you will see them...... once again must be my law enforcement back around

S

Seamonkey

Which Hodelpa? in zona colonial? If so, that's not a resort but a boutique hotel. I've seen cameras at boutique hotels, but never at big resorts. Maybe they have them at reception, but not in the restaurants, pool areas, beach or hallways. Not the ones I've too. Casa Marina doesn't have any, not does Gran Ventana in Playa Dorada. However, as per the new law they will be mandatory.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I seem to recall restrictions as to where cameras may be placed. Reception yes, kitchen yes, Bar and dining area no...