Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: El Patron

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
    Oh and by the way if Rocky didn't know anything, just how were these lawyers going to get paid off for their huge payday...
    .....something just don't make sense....
    Hence the fraud part...Rocky and tenants didn’t know about it because lawyers drew up fictitious papers with out their names on it ,shell companies names where ones served papers probably .. the real question is why? Who is to gain? How can the lawyers profit out of it?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else hear that there was a "shell company" involved?

No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    This is 100% correct!!

Four or five notices were sent to the fake shell company in Santiago. Rocky never received even one of them. That is part of the fraud.
    Wait - Did you not say previously that the shell company took possession of the property. How would liens be sent to the company that was not the legal owner who then acquired the land ? Sounds to me like the liens were not researched by the agency sending them to verify ownership, unless Rocky did not register the purchase ? Or he himself set up a front company as owner which got disconnected?

Yeah something is fishing in Denmark - this will be an interesting tale of "Whose on First" when it hits court. I am beginning to think Frank had no idea of any of this. He isn't the type to waste energy on this Spy vs Spy silliness. I bet he gave that up long ago when he quit buying Mad Magazine. Maybe they can claim fraud against Frank for the equipment (not likely in my opinion - since he likely didn't know what was good or bad himself), but fraud for a shell company - that sounds more like some Dominican Lawyer razzle-dazzle.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This like so many others this is just a cautionary tale of business life in the country. Someone with a small mobile cart selling pretzels and roasted peanuts might be less risk adverse than a more traditional business. In this country as soon as you get into occupying a building, acquiring equipment, employees, taxes and inventory the degree of potential for risk balloons.

These liens/embargoes are a daily occurrence. Many of them based on false allegations, improper enforcement and a general lack of acknowledgement and noncompliance. Recently Lifestyles was raided and had property seized claiming no prior knowledge of the impending action or even the specifics of the claim that precipitated the raid. Encuentro beach road has been the subject of repeated court orders which have been based in inaccurate arguments and have consistently been ignored.

It is truly a jungle out there for small and medium sized businesses. More so for foreign owned and run businesses. Even more so for businesses that are owned and operated by nonresident foreigners. Sure it can be done, often for quite sometime, but eventually an issue crops up that sees some sort of inspector arrive at the door with a piece of paper demanding something. From there, things can go downhill fast.

Still have to wait to hear the facts in this case and what these fraud allegations are all about - but old foreign men, wealthy old foreign men, need to give their heads a shake and see that the risk of operating a beach bar / restaurant in the 3rd world. The DR is a place to come when you retire, sit around all day and steadily destroy what remains of your liver, chip golf balls into the ocean or grow orchids. The sage advice applies - If you have to work, this is not the place to do it. Equally, if you don't have to work but can't help yourself, fund a pretzel cart and stay away from any block and mortar establishment unless you are prepared to be onsite all day and all night to make sure that you know every detail that transpires within those wall or you won't see it coming either.

5. Likes frank12, jinty05 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    This like so many others this is just a cautionary tale of business life in the country. Someone with a small mobile cart selling pretzels and roasted peanuts might be less risk adverse than a more traditional business. In this country as soon as you get into occupying a building, acquiring equipment, employees, taxes and inventory the degree of potential for risk balloons.

These liens/embargoes are a daily occurrence. Many of them based on false allegations, improper enforcement and a general lack of acknowledgement and noncompliance. Recently Lifestyles was raided and had property seized claiming no prior knowledge of the impending action or even the specifics of the claim that precipitated the raid. Encuentro beach road has been the subject of repeated court orders which have been based in inaccurate arguments and have consistently been ignored.

It is truly a jungle out there for small and medium sized businesses. More so for foreign owned and run businesses. Even more so for businesses that are owned and operated by nonresident foreigners. Sure it can be done, often for quite sometime, but eventually an issue crops up that sees some sort of inspector arrive at the door with a piece of paper demanding something. From there, things can go downhill fast.

Still have to wait to hear the facts in this case and what these fraud allegations are all about - but old foreign men, wealthy old foreign men, need to give their heads a shake and see that the risk of operating a beach bar / restaurant in the 3rd world. The DR is a place to come when you retire, sit around all day and steadily destroy what remains of your liver, chip golf balls into the ocean or grow orchids. The sage advice applies - If you have to work, this is not the place to do it. Equally, if you don't have to work but can't help yourself, fund a pretzel cart and stay away from any block and mortar establishment unless you are prepared to be onsite all day and all night to make sure that you know every detail that transpires within those wall or you won't see it coming either.
    You forgot one more beauty....when Barricks gold mine finally got on-line and was up and running at full speed, the new government came in and threatened to shut it down. This was after Barricks had spent hundreds of millions of dollars shipping in equipment, and getting the different operations online, etc.

The new government decided they wanted more money, and were going to null & void the previous contract that Barricks made years earlier under a different government.

At this point, Barricks had invested immense amount of money, equipment, and resources, and were already running 1 or 2 years behind schedule.

The new government didn't care and wanted more money or was going to shut them down. I think they even confiscated the gold being shipped out. The problem was that the gold is not yet gold. It's in blocks with other heavy metals that are sent abroad to be refined, or melted down, separated, or whatever it is they do to get the gold separated and by itself.

The moral here is that even when you think everything has gotten the A-Ok, and is good to go, someone will always come along and smell money and want to put their hands in the cookie jar.

7. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be foolish to the nth degree to refine the ore into a final product anywhere within sight of this island. Money made here leaves here as fast as possible and there is a reason for that. The resorts are a prime example. Pay the bills, pay the wages and get the profit to a safe haven before the wind changes.

9. Likes frank12, jinty05 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    1.) "Don't lien notices have to be formally served (sent) to current legal owner?" Yes.

2.) "I don't know any of the facts but wasn't Rocky given the opportunity to stave the perfection of liens?" No.

Hence, the shell company.
    Why would a "shell company" make any legal difference? 'Splain me that?

Is BF's signature on the formation of said "shell company?" If not, why isn't BF suing the lawyer for fraud?
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post

Is BF's signature on the formation of said "shell company?" If not, why isn't BF suing the lawyer for fraud?
    I think the person telling the "shell" story has very poor writing skills.

Ironic... Lol

12. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Wait - Did you not say previously that the shell company took possession of the property. How would liens be sent to the company that was not the legal owner who then acquired the land ? Sounds to me like the liens were not researched by the agency sending them to verify ownership, unless Rocky did not register the purchase ? Or he himself set up a front company as owner which got disconnected?

Yeah something is fishing in Denmark - this will be an interesting tale of "Whose on First" when it hits court. I am beginning to think Frank had no idea of any of this. He isn't the type to waste energy on this Spy vs Spy silliness. I bet he gave that up long ago when he quit buying Mad Magazine. Maybe they can claim fraud against Frank for the equipment (not likely in my opinion - since he likely didn't know what was good or bad himself), but fraud for a shell company - that sounds more like some Dominican Lawyer razzle-dazzle.
    Agree.

No court would enforce a lien for a corporation that has no legal interest in the assets in question, with no underlying, legaly executed debt or other contractual instruments.

No one can just go and lien property.

franks constant use of "shell company" makes *zero* sense, and the Santiago reference is irrelevant.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post

Only Big Frank's attorney can explain why he did that.

I suppose the next court date will reveal more of the intricacies that were used.

Time reveals all truth, brother. No need to Troll.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast