Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: El Patron

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Exactly. Cases last as long as clients ability to pay.

I hope it's bootleg stuff they drink.

What do you call one dead Lawyer at the bottom of the ocean?
    A start.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Exactly. Cases last as long as clients ability to pay.
    Which is why savvy business people *manage* their lawyer(s). Do not let the lawyer manage you.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on the situation as a restaurant owner and Dominican/American with a ton of experience in the Dominican "legal" system.

I assume that Big Frank sold the kitchen equipment and business aside from the actual real estate of the restaurant and shops that were affected. I would assume that this was sold for a substantial amount of money and who wants to take back a business in the case of non-payment (the new owner could run it to the ground and just say "take it back then") and since it was on a payment plan they decided there would need to be some sort of guarantee/collateral to assure payment was made on the equipment/business deal.

Once the new owner decided the equipment/business deal wasn't worth what he paid (true or not, I'd trust frank12 that it wasn't) because of faulty equipment etc etc.. the new owner is going to stop payment because he feels he was getting ripped off (understandable also). Once payment stopped I'm sure they discussed the issues with the deal but as frank12 says.. the replacement of all that equipment could easily be more than the full sale cost of the equipment/business deal. At this point they are going to disagree with what should happen next.. Big Frank has the collateral of the entire real estate so he can take action on that based on non-payment of the equipment/business deal. I don't understand why a shell company was formed because Big Frank could have just setup up the lien (hipoteca) in his own name. Where the fraud comes in I don't really understand though, most likely it's just misunderstandings in the legality and the court system taking advantage of people who don't understand that in the DR sometimes it's just better to cut your losses and work things out than try to work through the system.

The problem with working in the legal system is that once these documents hit the courts and see $$ss flying around, now everybody is going to want their hand out and get their cut before anything can get settled.. People will throw wrenches in spokes left and right to ensure this goes on as long as possible. Literally the only people that benefit from settling this issue is Frank and Rocky and their employees.. His lawyers don't benefit, judges don't benefit, cops don't benefit, prosecuters don't benefit, this is a crappy situation and I hope they can both just sit down and resolve it so everyone can get back to work and try to rebuild a business that has always been a very important part of Cabarete.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223