computer translated:

Rains flood 370 houses and demolish trees in Santiago

Published on:

June 7, 2019

By:

MAXWELL REYES maxwellreyes@hotmail.com

e-mail:

redaccion [@] elnacional.com.do

SANTIAGO.-A downpour accompanied by strong winds yesterday tore down several trees in different parts of the city and at least 370 houses were flooded momentarily by the overflow of a gully in Hoya del Caimito in the east of the city, reported this morning the Civil Defense .

While today the National Office of Meteorology (Onamet) issued a meteorological alert for the provinces Monseñor Nouel, La Vega, Puerto Plata and Santiago, to possible flash floods of rivers, streams and ravines, as well as, urban floods due to the effects of a trough

Yesterday, the main avenues of this city such as the Yapur Dumit, Circunvalación Sur, Antonio Guzmán and 27 de Febrero, were momentarily flooded by the rains that were generated by the effects of the trough.

The trees knocked down by the winds and the floods caused yesterday afternoon a chaos in the transit of the city, like in the avenue The Carreras and Juan Pablo Duarte.

Agents of the Directorate General of Traffic Safety and Land Transportation (Digesett) made it possible while the relief agencies cleared the roads affected by the debris.
Residents in Hoya del Caimito returned to their homes for the necessary cleaning, as their grave goods were affected by the flood.

https://elnacional.com.do/lluvias-inundan-370-casas-y-derriban-arboles-en-santiago/

C

cobraboy

Interesting. We spent most of the day at HOMS, but I got a chance to go to Nacional on JP Duarte.

I thought thery must have been trimming those big trees around the parking lot because there were big branches on the ground all over.

I will say the rain at the hospital was serious, as well as trhe lightning & thunder. We got a report from a friend in town about hail in Santiago.

B

bob saunders

The lightening was fast furious and close. We had teachers crouching under desks.

S

SantiagoDR

The lightening was fast furious and close. We had teachers crouching under desks.

Just getting back on-line.

Our house got hit by a direct strike, first time in 22 years.

Lost home phone, 2 of the security cameras and the video on the desktop computer.
Using laptop which lacks many of my utility programs, links, etc.
Computer still works, just no video, I hear the sounds of connecting, e-mails being received.
Unfortunately, it's not JUST a video card, it's a built in multiple purpose board on the computer.

As soon as I get a chance, will post time lapse pictures of the strike as recorded by security cameras.

Actual video was impressive but because of the speed of the strike (about 1/8 of a second or less), lots of detail not seen.

I single framed the video, amazing images....

Don

S

SantiagoDR

Time lapse photos of lightening strike at my house.

NOTE:

The snapshots are at 1/30th of a second, over in an instance.
It was so fast that in the video, you don't even see the fire, just the sparks flying.

Power was knocked out in the area for over 2 hours after the strike.

The fire seen in on non-combustible barded wire.

And YES, the strike was very LOUD... lol

yp8cm.jpg

ad27hk.jpg

2zxo2nb.jpg

n1qg3q.jpg

C

cobraboy

Time lapse photos of lightening strike at my house.

NOTE:

The snapshots are at 1/30th of a second, over in an instance.
It was so fast that in the video, you don't even see the fire, just the sparks flying.

Power was knocked out in the area for over 2 hours after the strike.

The fire seen in on non-combustible barded wire.

And YES, the strike was very LOUD... lol

yp8cm.jpg

ad27hk.jpg

2zxo2nb.jpg

n1qg3q.jpg
About what time was that?

In the later afternoon in Santiago, I saw a series of lightning strikes, unusually large and for a long duration, in your general direction. Maybe 4-ish if I recall.

S

SantiagoDR

About what time was that?

In the later afternoon in Santiago, I saw a series of lightning strikes, unusually large and for a long duration, in your general direction. Maybe 4-ish if I recall.

4:16:00 PM

They say if you count, 1,001, 1,002, 1,003, etc., that for each count the strike is "1" mile away.

Previous strike was 2-3 miles away...

How far away information is useless, the NEXT strike was 10 feet away. :cry:

C

cobraboy

4:16:00 PM

They say if you count, 1,001, 1,002, 1,003, etc., that for each count the strike is "1" mile away.

Previous strike was 2-3 miles away...

How far away information is useless, the NEXT strike was 10 feet away. :cry:
I prolly saw those strikes from HOMS.

I told Alida: "Somebody just thought a bomb went off."