Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 48 American Deaths in the DR in 2 years.

According to a CNN report referencing the recent deaths at all inclusives, 48 Americans died in the DR between 2016 and 2018 from non natural causes....Seems like a high number to me. Works out to 2 per month every month for 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been pointed out in other threads - most would not have been tourists but Dominicans with US citizenship.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santiagodude View Post
    According to a CNN report referencing the recent deaths at all inclusives, 48 Americans died in the DR between 2016 and 2018 from non natural causes....Seems like a high number to me. Works out to 2 per month every month for 2 years.
    I saw those stats posted somewhere and most were traffic accidents and drownings.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    I saw those stats posted somewhere and most were traffic accidents and drownings.
    and suicides..but when you do not break it down like that, it sounds more sensational. it really creates the impression that the DR is this raging wasteland, where life is cheap, and marauding natives will kill you at the drop of a hat.

5. Likes Seamonkey, Caonabo, Juan Bosch liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    and suicides..but when you do not break it down like that, it sounds more sensational. it really creates the impression that the DR is this raging wasteland, where life is cheap, and marauding natives will kill you at the drop of a hat.
    Yes I forgot about the suicides. A friend of mine who frequently travels to the Philippines was telling me that they also have a high rate of suicides for foreigners. Mostly jumping off of buildings. Seems odds to me to go like that.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The list I saw - and commented on - had 2 homicides

The rest drownings, car/moto accidents and so on

But - taken out of context - you could make a case on the death count alone... if you wanted create interest

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Statistics can be present in such a way to support just about any supposition or position. While traffic accidents and drownings are self-inflicted causes of death, dead is still dead. The lack of lifesaving equipment and personnel on site at the beach and swimming pools should be a concern to travelers. "We" are used to relying on others to protect us and rescue us when we get ourselves into trouble. This is clearly not the Dominican way of thinking.

Driving a car is the single most dangerous thing most people do everyday here or in the home country. Deaths in motor vehicle accidents really have nothing to do with tourism except that most tourists have no idea to what extent chaos reigns on the roads here. The fact remains, the human body does not fare well when it suddenly decelerates from 100 Km/h to 0 Km/h in a fraction of a second, seat belt or not.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"
    "How to Lie with Charts" -Gerald Everett Jones

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had Semana Santa Weeks with More deaths.... of course those are mostly Dominicans ..

so what is the point ? 10.7 million people in the country at all times .. and 48 deaths in 2 years means what exactly ?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast