How to find my land property boundaries

A

acctreg

Hi,

I have own a piece of land in Bonao for a long time (over 30 yeares) that consists of 6 titulos (titles). I am considering selling the land. Looking into the titulo, it does not tell the boundary of the land specified by each titulo.

Does anyone know how to find the boundaries of the lands on my titulos?

Thanks.

JH

A

AlterEgo

You have to hire an agrimensor/surveyor. They will use GPE coordinates as part of the deslinde process. We just finished one part of our property, now working on 2nd

A

acctreg

You have to hire an agrimensor/surveyor. They will use GPE coordinates as part of the deslinde process. We just finished one part of our property, now working on 2nd

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how long the process would take (hiring an agrimensor and actual survey)?

Thanks!

JH​

A

AlterEgo

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how long the process would take (hiring an agrimensor and actual survey)?

Thanks!

JH​

It’s a drawn out process, like many things in DR. Depends. Our property is in San Cristobal Province and it took 4 years. Yes, years. Depends on your provincial land office. Ours was multi title too, and could have been done all at once, except when he measured we were missing just under a tarea, and that threw it all off

C

chico bill

Hi,

I have own a piece of land in Bonao for a long time (over 30 yeares) that consists of 6 titulos (titles). I am considering selling the land. Looking into the titulo, it does not tell the boundary of the land specified by each titulo.

Does anyone know how to find the boundaries of the lands on my titulos?

Thanks.

JH

Are you saying their is no legal description (dimensions) of each property or even the overall size ?

B

bob saunders

Even if not surveyed there should be markers on the corners( boundaries) , either stakes or concrete. While it is true Deslindes can sometimes take quite a while most of ours were completed in 3-4 months. The actual surveying is done in a couple of hours but then the measurements and description have to go to the land title court process and because there is a backlog it can take a long time. The Land office in La Vega is quite efficient. To sell you need to have Deslinde.

A

AlterEgo

Are you saying their is no legal description (dimensions) of each property or even the overall size ?

He has old titles like we did. We bought our land in 1977-8. Ours said how many tareas and the names of the owners of the adjoining properties. That’s it. Some areas had barbed wire fences, some had cactus border fences, campo style

A

acctreg

He has old titles like we did. We bought our land in 1977-8. Ours said how many tareas and the names of the owners of the adjoining properties. That’s it. Some areas had barbed wire fences, some had cactus border fences, campo style

Exactly as what AlterEgo says, the titulo only tells the dimension of the land and it's neighboring owners, but does not tell the exact location of the land.

A

acctreg

It’s a drawn out process, like many things in DR. Depends. Our property is in San Cristobal Province and it took 4 years. Yes, years. Depends on your provincial land office. Ours was multi title too, and could have been done all at once, except when he measured we were missing just under a tarea, and that threw it all off

So is the surveying/measuring required if I wanted to sell the land?

Thanks.

JH

A

AlterEgo

So is the surveying/measuring required if I wanted to sell the land?

Thanks.

JH

A deslinde is a requirement to sell any property, but I am pretty certain a property can be sold ONCE without one. The problem is that there is so much land fraud in DR that most buyers won’t purchase without a deslinde title. The price changes dramatically too. Mr AE’s brother sold a large newish home in SD in a gated residential, that had never been deslinded. A large portion of the sale price was withheld at settlement by the buyer pending the deslinde. They thought it would be quick, but it’s been over two years,so far.

S

SantiagueroRD

Good morning Does any one know what about a "deslinde" to sell an apartment/condo ?

C

chico bill

A deslinde is a requirement to sell any property, but I am pretty certain a property can be sold ONCE without one. The problem is that there is so much land fraud in DR that most buyers won’t purchase without a deslinde title. The price changes dramatically too. Mr AE’s brother sold a large newish home in SD in a gated residential, that had never been deslinded. A large portion of the sale price was withheld at settlement by the buyer pending the deslinde. They thought it would be quick, but it’s been over two years,so far.

Wise decision by the buyer. I agree no one should buy any property in DR without a deslinde and title report. To do so means your purchase could be for nada

C

chico bill

A fence placed in the wrong location means nothing, but it is a start. In the US there are laws of adverse possession (maybe here too, as squatters have lots of rights) which applies also to someone who occupies the land with full knowledge of neighbors, and it could become the "squatter's" own.

Say you farmed some land or ran cattle on a ranch and the fences were 40' off where they legally should have been, but you did it for at least 7 years, maybe even built a pond or planted orchards. That land could become yours, not necessarily for free, and it would have to be decided by a judge and likely the true owner would need to be paid to file a quit claim on the portion.
I think the caveat is this had to have been observed by the rightful owner or his trustees - but maybe that is wishful thinking.

L

lifeisgreat

You can sell a property without deslinde but only the taxes part will be transferred into your name until deslinde is done then land courts will transfer into your name title , they just added more judges to land court because of back log..

D

Drake

The first thing you should do go to the local Registro de Tierra. I think for Bonao its in La Vega with your title copy and request to see how your property is registered. I am sure you will also find the relevant plan. It could be a general or a large one of several titulos. The Agrominsor would do his dislinde on the basis of this. You can also go to the head registro de Titilos in Santo Domingo that is in the Feria on av independencia. Good luck. How your land is registered is the basis of everything.

K

kg4jxt

Dominican culture does not always keep up with the law. I put up a fence on my property, but not right next to the road. So various entities concluded that the space between my fence and the road was "public" and used it accordingly. To stop this practice, I moved the fence. Since then, various of these entities have challenged my right to have the new fence, and it has been torn down once by public works. To PROVE the new fence location is valid, someone will have to pay for an agrimensor to come back. Guess what? NOBODY wants to do that! Much better to just yell about it on a regular basis - tear up fence, repair fence - yell some more. Actual "diligencia" is way off the radar.

If you have a surveyor visit, it is highly in the interest of you and any future owner to clearly mark the agrimensor-identified boundaries with a sturdy fence and with the neighbors' acknowledgement. Otherwise . . .