Taking away an elder's driving license

C

chico bill

I can recall having to tell my dad at 92 he could not longer drive. He died less than a year after that. And after he died we also had to tell my mom the same at 93 and sell their vehicles.

Yes this is a traumatic event in an older person's life. It's like being told you are no longer a full part of society, you are not physically equal and now you are dependent on others to move about and..... your death probably is not long off.

In the US the Department of Motor vehicles requires older people to come in more often to evaluate them, or after an accident they may be notified their insurance is canceling them. Most law abiding (legal) residents in the US will not drive without insurance or a license.

Which brings me to the DR. Yesterday I was behind and old Hyundai with dents in every fender, a taillight taped up with packing tape and an old couple driving so slow as to be a hazard. The old man could barely see out the front he was so low, maybe looking through the wheel. He was coming within millimeters of parked cars. I am not sure if he got to his destination, because I turned off a side street because he was so slow.

Who decides or pulls driving privileges here from people no longer fit to drive ? With the seriously narrow and pot-holed roads, poor observance of traffic lights or any driving rules and with all the buzzing motos, I think the DR is a seriously bad place to become an old driver.

Has anyone here heard of a license being revoked for seniors no longer fit to drive ?

P

playacaribe2

Which brings me to the DR. Yesterday I was behind and old Hyundai with dents in every fender, a taillight taped up with packing tape and an old couple driving so slow as to be a hazard. The old man could barely see out the front he was so low, maybe looking through the wheel. He was coming within millimeters of parked cars. I am not sure if he got to his destination, because I turned off a side street because he was so slow.

Who decides or pulls driving privileges here from people no longer fit to drive ? With the seriously narrow and pot-holed roads, poor observance of traffic lights or any driving rules and with all the buzzing motos, I think the DR is a seriously bad place to become an old driver.

The DR is a seriously bad place to drive.......young or old. If they actually enforced driving regulations....just as in license checks..........half the transportation would likely be idled.

Has anyone here heard of a license being revoked for seniors no longer fit to drive ?

Your question presumes he even has a drivers license.

Hard to take away something you don't have.........

And if he was a campesino............odds are he does not have one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2